Alternatives to Geist 2 in 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ztrauq wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:00 am Melda MDrummer can probably do it all and more... shame it's so convoluted to use that I spend more time trying to figure out how to do things in it than actually do them. Still, if you're willing to invest the time in learning it, there's a pretty impressive feature set. I still poke around at it from time to time, but for the moment XO and Punch 2 are the ones I'm generally working with...
Medal stuff is great but the the interfaces are hard to use and hard on the old eyeballs. Pity....
Tks32tim wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 am Xfer records nerve is very good and has separate outs and a really good sequencer
Yeah, this looks like a really good candidate. Especially, if the sequencer is good! :) I really what a hassle free workflow (especially when making beats).
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 am A great alternative to Geist? Ableton Live or Bitwig :tu:
Heh! And I recently sold Ableton… Yeah, Abe is great for drums. Actually it’s a great DAW. But I really wanted to concentrate on just one (studio one). I found it a pain in switching from one to the other. :)
revvy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 am Geist 2 is a sampling drum machine and IMO nothing comes close.

Unfortunately, as I was pissed off when FXp dropped support for some older plugs. However they've recently updated, not include it in the 'discontinued' list and Angus FX stated on here that it's part of their future. So for me anyway, my own view of Geist, research into alternatives and the reply from Angus means I've stoped my search.

It ain't perfect but there's nothing better.
It’s been my goto for some years now… But it’s lack of support is a bit scary. Also, I just wanted to see what’s about in 2020. How do you think it compares to Nerve?
daradei wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:15 am Polyplex from NI, Drumcomputer from SugarBytes(unique and dope stuff, especially for being ported to iPad as well) or simply Drumrack in Ableton 😻
I have Drumcomputer and it’s a great piece of kit. :)
antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:21 am Rob Papen's Punch2!
Looks like it does loads… Probably a bit too much in one way. I’m not really after a drum synth per se. Just something with an easy to use sequencer. I find Papen’s stuff very good but the user experience is a little lacking (if it’s like his synths).

Thanks for all the suggestions peeps!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

XO and Maschine would be my go to for sample based drum fun.

Maschine has had some good updates lately and cant really be beat (no pun intended) for MPC style beat and song creation. I got it with the Mikro MK3 hardware for £130 from Amazon in the UK- still lots of them at that price (people use the code and then return them to amazon for a full refund, but if you contact NI they wipe it and you get the full software as well :D )- don't use the hardware bit to be honest, but the software is worth £130!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Robmobius wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:58 pmLooks like it does loads… Probably a bit too much in one way. I’m not really after a drum synth per se. Just something with an easy to use sequencer. I find Papen’s stuff very good but the user experience is a little lacking (if it’s like his synths).
Ok, how about UVI's Drum Designer? Contrary to the name it's sample-based and - if you don't want to - it exposes only the high-level parameters to sculpt the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IismJEn9ifw
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

edited for brevity.

:D
Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 am It doesn't get better than Geist2. It's the state of the art.
And you need to RTFM!
Couple of points... :D

A) I know Geist like the back of my hand.
B) It works fine on my system.
C) I'm not trying to attack FXpansion - so I not too sure what the epic post was all about. :D
D) I don't like the workflow as the GUI is small and really cluttered (especially when you make longer patterns).
E) What wrong with looking at other stuff as a matter of interest or having more toys to play with? :D
F) I'd prefer to work with a product that will have the prospect of having regular updates (if needed).
G) Just because Geist can 'do more' doesn't mean it's better for me. It has lots of features I don't use. Using the different lanes in the sequencer is a right pain, trying to click exact parameters is a nightmare. :( Fast easy workflow is where it is at (for me).

I'm just trying a few demos out at the moment from all the suggestions here. I'm having a blast with X-fer's Nerve. I'm finding it well easy to use and it has some neat tricks up its sleeve. Plus, there's an update on the horizon according to Steve Duda.

I've bought XO and that's a great creative tool and lots of fun...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:57 pm Ok, how about UVI's Drum Designer? Contrary to the name it's sample-based and - if you don't want to - it exposes only the high-level parameters to sculpt the sound.
Cheers for that man... Another demo to try! :) How did I not hear about this!?

How can you describe a resizable interface as small and fiddly?

For super long passages just build them in chunks and then link them together

Nerve is a totally different beast and I also don't like his resale policies so won't be buying more Xfer stuff. Nor FXp either but still sticking with G2 here.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
pc2000 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am
boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am Guys and what about Maschine? There is one 2nd hand Mikro MKI for ca €40 few kilometers from where I live. Is it proper drum sampler or not? Thanks for opinions.
Is that just for the controller or are they including the license for the software as well?
It contains Maschine Studio. So I think that Maschine as well... :oops:
A number of 2nd hand sellers are only selling the hardware controller. Unless stated, don't assume the software is automatically a part of the deal.

pc2000 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:29 am
boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
pc2000 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am
boriskarloff wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:39 am Guys and what about Maschine? There is one 2nd hand Mikro MKI for ca €40 few kilometers from where I live. Is it proper drum sampler or not? Thanks for opinions.
Is that just for the controller or are they including the license for the software as well?
It contains Maschine Studio. So I think that Maschine as well... :oops:
A number of 2nd hand sellers are only selling the hardware controller. Unless stated, don't assume the software is automatically a part of the deal.
Ahh. Thanks for info pc2000. :tu: I'll be careful.

I use now the drum machine in Bitwig, but I also have FL Studio (as VSTi also). I think FL Studio is amazing drum machine not only a DAW ;)

NI Maschine 2 should be mentioned

Arturia Spark

revvy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:54 am How can you describe a resizable interface as small and fiddly?
Drawing in the automation is a pain compared to Nerve which is a breeze.

<off-topic>

What didn't you like about Stix?

</off-topic>

russmade wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:44 pm <off-topic>

What didn't you like about Stix?

</off-topic>
It's good... I just prefer other stuff. Horses for courses and all.

Return to “Instruments”