Genesis Pro - an easy installation hack that does NOT require running in Admin mode

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Genesis Pro

I dropped this in the huge 90+ page thread for Genesis Pro, but that makes it very easy to miss. So starting a new thread so this info can be found more easily by people trying to get Genesis Pro to work.

I can't speak for bridging issues caused by using JBridge and DAWs that don't have native 32-bit bridging. But if you have a DAW with native bridging, this installation hack will probably get Genesis Pro working correctly in a very fast, simple, and easy manner. Best of all, you will NOT have to run your DAW in administrator mode. I use Bitwig Studio (has native 32-bit bridging), and Genesis Pro runs fine without launching the DAW in admin mode. I don't have trouble with crackles, etc. (Other than a very few patches will overshoot 0 dBFS by default, so depending on your ASIO interface you might hear some clipping.) And CPU usage is very light, even at a relatively small 256 buffer size.

So the main problem with the SynthEdit design underlying Genesis Pro is that the main GenesisPro.dll invokes another Genesis Dynamic Link.dll during startup. And this linking DLL goes and loads in a ton of SynthEdit modules from the main installation directory for all the Genesis Pro module. However, if you launch these DLLs from their DEFAULT installation location of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VST Plugins, the DAW must be launched Admin mode to get around a security requirement of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders and enable these two DLLs to invoke a bunch of modules from elsewhere.

Therefore, if you DON'T run your DAW in admin mode, when you try to load up the GenesisPro.dll, you'll be presented with a huge cascade of successive pop-up error messages for every single SynthEdit module that the two DLLs are trying to invoke and load into memory. These messages will say they cannot find this or that. I've seen some reports in the other KVR thread that some people are getting these errors even when they are running their DAW in admin mode.

Fixing this error is as easy as can be--at least for DAWs that have native 32-bit bridging AND which can look in multiple location for their VST plugins. Best of all, the fix means you won't have to run your DAW in admin mode, either!

All you have to do is place those two DLLs in some folder that is NOT anywhere inside of Program Files or Program Files (x86). Then of course you also have to add this new folder to the list of locations that your DAW looks for plugins.

In my case, I simply made a C:\GenesisProVST folder and moved both of those DLLs out of their original folder and into that folder. Then I added this new folder to the list of "plugin locations" in my preferences for Bitwig Studio. Try this technique out in your DAW, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
GenesisProBitwig.png
GenesisProBitwig2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This fixed several problems, not least of which was security risk of running my DAW in Administrator mode, including the "blank screen" issue when adding the Genesis Pro plugin to my project. I'm running Reaper v.6.05 under Windows 10, in case that helps anyone.

Thanks
Last edited by Stratman7 on Wed May 26, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you. This solved the "admin" problem, but it shows me a msg whenever I insert it in a new track that My license is invalid! It works fine after that, but the msg appears every time I insert a new instance!

Developers using synthedit nowadays should release their VSTs with all the modules already extracted. Then this problem would not exist. I think most of the developers using SE 1.4 do that including myself. But maybe it's something the Genesis developer has missed.

I tried to run it as administrator (after moving it) but it keeps the same error! I wish there is a place to insert the serial! Anyway, I will wait for an update. There are two other minor things, first the plugin takes too long to load at the start and the presets has a delay when changed. The second is the GUI could be bigger.
The price is too cheap for the synth, but I'm not complaining as I bought 5 licenses :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:pray: :( :( :( It doesn't work for me with Orion 6.2 ! Win 10 pro 32 bits .

A lot of pop ups , a long time to start up , some of the presets are working but a lot of bugs , can't set anything ! pfhhhhh hope it's not just a scam ! :? :roll:

and why giving a serial since we can't put it anywhere !??! :o

I just uninstalled it! I solved it this way!
One thing I learnt that never follow the enthusiasm of KVR crowd blindly! Or any crowd to be honest :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”