[List] Developers of instruments and synths using a serial or keyfile authorisation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

nvm
Last edited by DarkStar on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am I do it, but, most of the stuff on my external HD is pretty old, because, it's quite cumbersome to keep it up to date. I agree that you should backup your installers, but, is it that practicable?
I dump every installer onto a NAS which is then backed up to a second USB drive. Every once in a while I prune the folders on the NAS. So, yeah, it's practical.

Unless you're just collecting these things and collecting practically everything, the overhead of doing that vs the use you get out of these instruments is minimal.

Also, it's a specious point about sharing installers. In the real world, people do send each other (non-watermarked) installers because they're not arseholes. If the company's gone bust, their EULA isn't going to matter much.

Top whataboutery though, sir, I commend you.
I always think that software maintenance is the same as dusting your hardware, once in a while. It's a pain but you'll wish you had if something goes wrong.

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 am Also, saying that companies violate their EULA, so it's alright to violate their EULA's is not a good ground for a argument. You can as well argue that it's alright to use warez then.
Also, while we're on the subject of EULAs. You're making a grand assumption that they are all the same and that it's the usual "stored on a data-retrieval system" you'd find in the copyright licence for a book. Here's the key part of one for Fabfilter One:
We encourage you to distribute the evaluation copy and give copies to friends, as long as there is no payment involved.
It stops being an evaluation copy when you feed it the serial.

That's not the most recent installer I have from Fabfilter. Some of the later ones from a quick inspection are bit different but actually make no stipulation about what to do with the executable other than you should delete it after 30 days if you don't have a licence. The licence terms only cover the licence and the installer or executable are clearly not the licence.

chk071 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am
EnGee wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 am You can get the installer from anyone! I
No. You can't just go around, and distribute the installers. Unless the EULA clearly states that you can. Most don't allow it.
of course you can. this is a huge misconception regarding eulas and copy protection.

you can do anything you like. if they dont like it they can come and sue you. that is if they have any way of knowing you did it, and have the ability to do anything, AND decide its worth their time to pursue it. its not illegal...you arent breaking any law. at MOST you are breaking an agreement/written contract....which is a civil matter and not against the law in any way. it is the copyright holders responsibility to enforce their own copyright protection...no one elses, and if they cant/dont bother to...well thats on them....legally speaking.
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

"You can't kill someone. It's against the law."

"Of course you can. A court has to judge about it."
chaosWyrM wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm ...legally speaking.
It's obvious that you shouldn't really do that.

I'm gonna add Adam Szabo's Viper to the list. Currently my favorite toy. :phones:
Last edited by izonin on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please mates, let's concentrate on the list. The purpose of this thread is to be a reference for anyone wants to buy software instruments and/or synths with simple protection (serial or keyfile).

Let's ignore any trolling :)

Plugin Alliance have an offline activation system using a single keyfile.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 pm Plugin Alliance have an offline activation system using a single keyfile.
It's machine-locked though isn't it? IK is much the same unless things have changed dramatically. It looks like a serial number scheme but it is C/R under the hood.

The good news is that you can remove machines from the web page, but if PA goes down entirely, you ain't authorising anything.

This also means Wolfgang Palm/PPG synths (though not the Waldorf PPGv2/3) will go to C/R once PA takes over maintenance.

EDIT: Just looked again at the thread title. @Engee, you might want to change it as it doesn't quite say what you mean.

Great thanks. But I think I must write simple note under every list item explaining. For example, is it serial keyfile from the beginning? Or must first use internet activation?

The ones I've put up with keyfiles and serials don't need any internet activation (or at least I don't think so).

IK and PA do need internet activation of some sort so the CP can ID the machine you've installed them on, same as NI Service Center (though they still have the offline option whereas NI pulled that a while back). D16's kinda in the middle as you have to generate a fresh keyfile for a new install after a certain period of time.

If not already mentioned, then maybe parawave. Last time I checked you create a keyfile in your account via a system ID shown in the plugin. It then creates a keyfile though it may only be valid for this certain system.

I updated the title so now is clearer :) I might separate those who need online activation at first time, but the main spotlight is on software that doesn't need online activation.

Serial number: GForce (not just Oddity 2), Kilohearts, LinPlug (RIP), Madrona Labs (switched their protection from watermark to serial number), Plugin Boutique, Sonic Charge.

Keyfile: D16 Group, MeldaProduction.

EDIT: D16 Group's newer products use a keyfile that has to be used within 72 hours; after that it no longer activates the product (a new keyfile is needed).
Last edited by e@rs on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”