Sylenth vs Serum?? please read

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum Sylenth1

This thread is a perfect example of asking to pick between Sylenth and Serum and get more than 4 different synths mentioned :). To the OP, there has been a ton of info in this thread for you. You can't go wrong as a novice with any of the choices mentioned. None of them is going to give you your first hit over another. The main thing that will determine your "success" with any of them is how well you use them. We are long past the days of where any lack of performance is due to the instrument. If you can't pick one, put some names in a hat and pull one, then get to learning and making music instead of wondering which one you should use.
Last edited by JoaquinAce on Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claudedefaren wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:32 pm Oh, hey there. I see you posting a lot.

I noticed you posted on the first page of this thread that you love Serum.

I hope you'll notice that I did not choose to berate you for having a differing opinion than I do. I expect you should not to do the same to me. Please be respectful in discourse, or I'll have to add you as a foe like I did the other guy in this thread.

By the way, you seem to be very concerned about COVID based on your post history. I hope this helps you feel more at peace about it: I currently have COVID, and I am perfectly fine. I'm on day 8 of it. For most people, and hopefully yourself, it won't be that bad. Rest easy.
My point was:
a) there is no better sound quality. They are different. Period. For a start Sylenth is a subtractive synth whereas Serum is a wavetable synth that absolutely prides itself on being digital and clean. To say one of these sounds better is just idiotic, frankly.
b) the OP didn't ask about any others for multiple reasons, one of which is the rent to buy option.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:45 pm]

For a start Sylenth is a subtractive synth whereas Serum is a wavetable synth that absolutely prides itself on being digital and clean.
havent tried serum, but looking at the gui, I'd say it was subtractive too, just with a diff sound source/osc

it may not be a VA (no idea what filter models it has) but def looks subtractive to me :shrug:

AnX wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:52 pm havent tried serum, but looking at the gui, I'd say it was subtractive too, just with a diff sound source/osc

it may not be a VA (no idea what filter models it has) but def looks subtractive to me :shrug:
Ok fine, you got me. Let me phrase it this way then: Sylenth does "analogue" whereas Serum does digital.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claudedefaren wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 pm The OP has since mentioned considering ANA 2 and Synthmaster in this thread, so I see nothing wrong with continuing the discussion.

Disagree on the first point. There is certainly such a thing as a better sound quality. You're making the argument that it's 100% a matter of opinion because the quality is "different" not "better" and to that I say, simply load up an instance of Four Seasons and Sylenth and compare. There is an obvious difference in quality. With the synths in this thread the differences are subtle, but for some aspects it's easy to compare. The way that unison is handled in Synthmaster is by far inferior to all the synths mentioned in this thread, objectively. For the OP's intended use and inspiration, he will be better off with a more "analog" sounding synth, so the digital/clean Serum is objectively worse. It offers great control over unison, but its filters are "cold" compared to ANA and Sylenth. ANA handles unison very well but slightly worse than Sylenth/Hive which are about the same in terms of quality (different, yes, but equally "good"). With anything, there's a degree to which personal opinion is a factor, but one cannot argue that there can be an objective difference in quality between synthesis engines. For the OP's stated purposes, he should be looking at Sylenth or ANA, which have a better quality in the departments he'll be utilizing.
Agree to disagree. I'm not in the mood for an argument :tu:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:03 pm I'm not in the mood for an argument :tu:
Oh come on Mushy...
You probably had a pre-breakfast shag... food... walked the dog...
had a beer in the park, maybe on the back of a motorbike...
got home , had a wank...

what else to do now...
:hihi:
:tu:

Sylenth for beginner or synthmaster1 .. Ana is cool :wink:

toonertik wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:09 pm Oh come on Mushy...
You probably had a pre-breakfast shag... food... walked the dog...
had a beer in the park, maybe on the back of a motorbike...
got home , had a wank...

what else to do now...
:hihi:

Sylenth for beginner or synthmaster1 .. Ana is cool :wink:
:hihi: Mostly true 8)

I'm over it now. :tu:

The OP needs to demo them really (if he/she hasn't already).

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:12 pm
:hihi: Mostly true 8)

I'm over it now. :tu:

The OP needs to demo them really (if he/she hasn't already).

Yes... 100% demo
and demo...
and demo!

kavin2134 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm So if you're asking what kinda artists' sounds I am trying to replicate, it is Alesso, SHM and post 2013 Armin van Buuren
I think sylenth is what they most likely actually use
https://equipboard.com/pros/swedish-hou ... ynthesizer

there are lots of preset packs for sylenth with these kinds of patches which sound quite authentic to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nbj4YLf0Mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCRBvkU33cQ

Some (maybe most) of these sounds can be recreated in Serum but they will sound different, Sylenth is a kind of "characterful" synth which makes it hard to precisely recreate it's sounds in other synths
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

At OP. The problem with asking for a binary option here is that you'll never get one. Because it's so subjective.
But given the type of music you want to make and from what you've said, Sylenth seems a clear winner.

I have ANA2 as well as the other two synths and I barely use it (in fact I'm trying to flog it at the moment). I much prefer the Sylenth's sound but YMMV.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Well exactly. I don't want to talk other synths down, but, if you're looking for "that" sound, you will be very well served with Sylenth1. And, also with Spire, in my opinion, because it also sounds very good for such sounds. Different to Sylenth1 though. What is also a plus is that both synths won't blow up your CPU.

kavin2134 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm I kinda guessed that this would come up. So if you're asking what kinda artists' sounds I am trying to replicate, it is Alesso, SHM and post 2013 Armin van Buuren
I'm a fan of Armin, too. You should check out his production masterclass from 2016. He goes over all the basics of trance production.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/arm ... ance-music

His DAW of choice is Logic X. For the leads Armin layers Sylenth1 with another terrific synth, Zebra 2. Other favorites are Nexus2, and Logic's own ES-2.

There are some more recent tutorials on YouTube, where he was also praising Spire for its unique distortion/saturation section.

Made many tracks with Sylenth1 and Serum, and like them both.

If you can only choose one, choose Serum - it has all the features Sylenth1 has, and many more of course. Or to put it thw other way round - if you buy Serum, you can pass Sylenth1 - but not quite the opposite.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

claudedefaren wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:16 pm If you're considering ANA 2 now, I should say that in terms of sound quality,

Sylenth & Hive > ANA 2 > Serum > Synthmaster
Hmm
Synthmaster is last? :hihi:
Soundquality on these synths are very subjective to the sounds you want.

Sylenth has a clean subtractive synth sound and is a great VA

Ana2 kinda serves as a multitool which with a bit of knowledge can make some amazing sounds though the envelopes are kinda touchy.
I see it more as the tool that the sounds are as good as the sound engineer.

Serum is full on digital sounding for the most part. Great for making grindy sounds. Can also make some amazing pads and other sounds BUUUT usually comes at a heft cpu cost due to how many modulations need to happen for a more analog sound. -_-
Max Braiman's sound set I have for Serum shows this well but the cpu cost is too high to use imho.

Synthmaster One is .. well interesting. Been blown away by pads and such for how simple it looks. Another one where the person making the sound can make it sing with how much knowledge and time get put into it.

Can't say much about Hive because I never used it. Kinda have more than I need in synths.
I have Ana2, Spire, Sylenth1, Massive, Serum, SynthmasterOne, Hybrid3, And some others I never touch ever. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”