UVI Falcon alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As i have read in the above suggestions, i too would like to recommend these following 3 which i feel are very well suited for your requirements:(in order of suitablility for you)
*Parawave Rapid
*VPS Avenger
*Nexus 3 (can be used for much more)

rubez wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm
focusrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pm Plugin Guru Unify. Stack anything with anything in one user interface. Comes with its own library of sounds too.
interesting....
http://youtu.be/yeCLrzYd7ZE

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:47 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:20 pm Baulks at Falcon pricing.

*Suggests Omnisphere*

:lol:
Because price is usually* not a problem, just a challenge you need to overcome by either prioritising your spending, saving or earning more money (or all at once, ideally).

* "usually" because it's plausible OP is from a country where they make $50 a month or he's a kid and gets allowance from their parents, etc.
The OP specified that price is an issue for them so may as well suggest hiring your own symphony orchestra.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 pm The OP specified that price is an issue for them so may as well suggest hiring your own symphony orchestra.
That's a fair point, sorry. However I still think it's better to save money and/or sell some plugins/gear/software one doesn't use and get something better than just let the price decide (assuming we're talking within reasonable budget / range).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

focusrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pmPlugin Guru Unify. Stack anything with anything in one user interface. Comes with its own library of sounds too.
That's an interesting plugin but I can't see any benefits of that if one's using a competent DAW like Live, Bitwig, Studio One or even Reason, where creating multi-layer instrument & FX chains is built-in.

OP never mentioned their DAW, I believe?
Music tech enthusiast

Falcon pops up here 2nd hand all the time, I think I purchased it for around $220 ,it may be a better idea to save for what you really want.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

There are a lot of plugins that can give you beautifully atmospheric type sounds. We could spend all day listing them. Falcon costs what it does because it’s a modular synth with many types of synthesis engines and a full featured sample playback engine. But, you can get deeper versions of each engine if you buy a synth that specializes on one or two synthesis types.

If you’re not happy with Wavestation’s glossy vibe, then you probably want a plugin that has some way of adding some grit or drive to your sound. Dune 3 has Wavetables and some basic FM, but also analog filter models and filter effects like different types of distortion and bit and rate reduction. There are also effects that are global. Massive X is another synth that I feel sounds pretty “hybrid,” though it’s purely a wavetable synth with some ways to manipulate the wavetables.

For sample playback, there’s Kontakt, which is sort of the gold standard. Falcon has multisample playback but it’s not really in the same league as Kontakt. Kontakt has a scripting engine that can get you really great results... I don’t think Falcon has anything that’s that advanced... I might be wrong one that. EvilDragon is the man to ask about such things.

Since you’re OK with analog hardware, you might want to look at some hybrid hardware synths as well. The Prophet 12, Prophet X, 002, Prologue, Quantum, Super 6, Peak and it’s brother the Summit are all pretty great. The Quantum is the one that’s closest to a Falcon or Omnisphere, but it’s also at the top of the price range of the synths I’ve mentioned. They’re all pricey compared to software, but IMO they’re worth it. Even the full digital Wavestate now includes analog filter models based on the gritty MS20 filter. Not sure how close they got but I imagine it can get pretty gritty as well as pristine.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

trusampler wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:12 pm Falcon pops up here 2nd hand all the time, I think I purchased it for around $220 ,it may be a better idea to save for what you really want.
Falcon only seems expensive if you add up what it would cost to buy plugins that cover everything it does.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm
focusrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:57 pmPlugin Guru Unify. Stack anything with anything in one user interface. Comes with its own library of sounds too.
That's an interesting plugin but I can't see any benefits of that if one's using a competent DAW like Live, Bitwig, Studio One or even Reason, where creating multi-layer instrument & FX chains is built-in.

Ease of use, speed, keyboard splits, paraphonic playback between multiple layers - to name but a few benefits.

SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 pm Falcon is often on sale and often with a 100 voucher for further UVI expansions, also occasionally in buy and sell...ilok is not an issue for me (much better than the system some of the other use, like Avenger!)

Falcon has pretty much replaced Kontakt for me and can handle anything from modular type synths to orchestral scoring, drum machines to VA duties!

I think I paid about 220 + got a 100 voucher...it is worth the asking price. It is my 'if I could only have one' synths, and I have all of the other alternatives mentioned.
^This!

Adding on to the above, UVI has some strong sample packs as well as the excellent and well-priced Falcon expansions. Falcon excels with otherworldly sounds. Halion has a similar vibe. Avenger has a more “within this solar system” otherworldly vibe. I highly recommend any and/or all of those three. Those three have now more than replaced the entire NI line for me. Though I use my Heavyocity libraries from time to time.

I wait for sales then purchase.

focusrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Ease of use, speed, keyboard splits, paraphonic playback between multiple layers - to name but a few benefits.
Nope. All of this is possible in Bitwig for example.
Music tech enthusiast

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:50 pm
FarleyCZ wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:27 pmThe only bad thing about Pigments (and I have suggested this to Arturia for fixing) is the inability to select the user folder. That makes re-installs and sample relocations much harder.
Can always use symbolic links for this sort of thing when the plugin is stubborn in providing user folder options.
Oh I have done that. :) But it's not really a user-friendly procedure as you have to dig up where the original save folders are. And especially in Arturia's case it's a bit complicated. One big folder for recources of all their plugins.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:14 pm

exactly....for anybody who is just starting out, I don't know why you would choose a DAW without modular plugin racks with visual routing and native modulation.....there are enough of them now....off the top of my head, i dont know what DAW feature would be compelling enough to make me forego this, and force me to acquire that functionality in an external plugin, ...but i'm sure there are some for some user subgroups

as for the OP, the last couple years have been all about the software workstation...there seem to be plenty of options at all price points.....halion, MSF, biotek, avenger, omnisphere, rapid, MUX, phaseplant, synthmaster, karmafx, pigments, ANA, corona, BR808

And if you count those hybrid synths without a traditional pcm sampler, but with multiple sample resynthesis methods, there is also form, harmor, loom, kaivo, serum, and the soon to come vital and syne...fathom is getting a sampler and concept said they would consider adding a sampler as well
Last edited by bermudagold on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 pm

exactly....for anybody who is just starting out, I don't know why you would choose a DAW without modular plugin racks with visual routing and native modulation.....there are enough of them now....i dont know what DAW feature would be compelling enough to make me forego this, and force me to acquire that functionality in an external plugin

as for the OP, the last couple years have been all about the software workstation...there seem to be plenty of options at all price points.....halion, MSF, biotek, avenger, omnisphere, MUX, phaseplant, synthmaster, karmafx, pigments, ANA, corona, BR808

And if you count those hybrid synths without a traditional pcm sampler, but with multiple sample resynthesis methods, there is also form, harmor, loom, rapid, kaivo, serum, and the soon to come vital and syne...concept said they would consider adding a sampler as well
Meanwhile your daw's so damn good you have no need for external plugins for sound design, audio production or workflow considerations. And it also brews your coffee the way you like :hail:

focusrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm
bermudagold wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Meanwhile your daw's so damn good you have no need for external plugins for sound design, audio production or workflow considerations. And it also brews your coffee the way you like :hail:
hyperbolic much ;-)....didn't say or imply anything of the sort....but okay lol
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Return to “Instruments”