VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Tannaliini
KVRist
117 posts since 12 Mar, 2020

Post Tue May 12, 2020 11:19 pm

Sinisterbr wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:21 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:23 am
sinkmusic wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:53 am
It looks like a very old windows browser (without the left columnn where you can store favourites for quick access).
I wanted to check a preset i had made in my VST folder, so i had to leave the default preset locations, and it took ages to browse my hard drive.
Yeah I admit it's not very convenient!

I didn't realize patch-browsing was so important to people before I started this beta :wink:
A decent preset browser is absolutely essential for me to consider owning a new synth. Actually, that's the only reason why I still didn't decide to purchase Massive X.
I'm not into sound design, and I love to easily navigate through great presets (that's important to me as well), just playing around and being inspired by them. And I bet there are many like me :)
Same here! Preset browser is one of the important parts of a synth for me also. But then again some people might not care...

User avatar
TheWaveWarden
KVRist
105 posts since 10 Apr, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am

Version 2.1.0 is live!


There's a big new feature: The Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer!
Screenshot from 2020-05-17 19-16-08.png
You can find it via the button over the modmatrix! The features are:

- Time select
- Octave select
- Pattern / Direction select
- Gate length
- Number of steps before the sequence wraps around
- One-Shot mode, where the sequence stops after playing once
- "Mod 1" and "Mod 2": Those knob-rows are freely assignable in the modmatrix
- "Mod 2"-row can be replaced by "Transpose"-row to transpose every step by [-24,24] semitones (note that both features can still be used simultaneously)
- On/Off button for every step in the sequence
- Gate length and Speed are also available as modulation targets

Also there are a few other changes, here's the full changelog:

- new feature: Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer
- new modulation sources: Arp Mod 1 & 2
- new modulation tagets: Arp Speed & Arp Gate
- all sync-time selectors now show a dropdown with most common times on click
- unison selector now shows dropdown rather than being click-draggable
- fixed issue where unison+legato would produce clicks
- changed default value for Delay-Feedback to 0.45
- changed default value for Delay-Wet to 0.7
- implemented MIDI-AllNotesOff
- implemented MIDI-allSoundOff
- modwheel and pitchbend are no longer loaded with patches
- drastically reduced filesize for patches without draw-oscs
- enlargened the height of the GUI, thereby relaxing the spacing in the LFOs

Further roadmap for Odin 2

I will halt development for now (my thesis is due in two weeks :roll: )

The next step will be to implement the patch-browser which so many people have been asking for. After that the beta will end and I will release Odin. Along with the release comes a tutorial series, a proper promotion video as well as the patch library.

Features definitely planned after release:
- An envelope editor to change the curvature of envelopes

Features maybe planned after release:
- A larger wave-editor window, with more editing options (straight lines, load/save waves etc.)
- A written manual

As always thanks for all your feedback and testing.
If you still have patches lying around or want to upgrade yours to the arp, now is a good time! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

onerob
KVRist
416 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 am

Good luck with the thesis! Audio/computing related?

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Sun May 17, 2020 10:55 am

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the final release. You have some presets in your mail. :wink:

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6430 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 am

Excellent ! Thank you !
Image

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm

I am so glad you added the transpose option on arpeggiator mod 2. I was going to request that but I forgot. :wheee:

User avatar
TheWaveWarden
KVRist
105 posts since 10 Apr, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 am

onerob wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:50 am
Good luck with the thesis! Audio/computing related?
Robotics, actually. But more geared towards the computer science-y side.

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6430 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 am

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am
I will halt development for now (my thesis is due in two weeks :roll: )
As always thanks for all your feedback and testing.
Thank you for Odin2... and good luck with your thesis ! ;)
TheWaveWarden wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am
Further roadmap for Odin 2
Nice.
Is drag & drop modulation routing planned?
Image

ztrauq
KVRist
244 posts since 13 Dec, 2004 from USA

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 12:32 am

Thanks for the update! Looking forward (and backward) to putting the arpeggiator through its paces this week.

User avatar
TheWaveWarden
KVRist
105 posts since 10 Apr, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 1:59 am

sinkmusic wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:28 am
Nice.
Is drag & drop modulation routing planned?
No plans sorry. While this is of course a killer feature, I think it is one which has to be planned from the very beginning in order to be implemented properly. There's only so much that I can add on top, sorry :neutral:

But there's always hope for Odin 3 :)

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6430 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 am

:)
Image

onerob
KVRist
416 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 am

I really like the FM oscillator in Odin 2. It's a quick way of getting FM sounds without the weirdness and hassle of dedicated FM synths.

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 8:01 am

onerob wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 am
I really like the FM oscillator in Odin 2. It's a quick way of getting FM sounds without the weirdness and hassle of dedicated FM synths.
It's cool. I'm not a fan of FM generally but I had some fun with this. I slightly prefer the PM oscillator though.

User avatar
lilith93
KVRist
83 posts since 7 Apr, 2018

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 11:55 am

The presets are awesome! I'm impressed what sounds can be made!

User avatar
lilith93
KVRist
83 posts since 7 Apr, 2018

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Mon May 18, 2020 12:03 pm

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am
Version 2.1.0 is live!


There's a big new feature: The Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer!

Screenshot from 2020-05-17 19-16-08.png

You can find it via the button over the modmatrix! The features are:

- Time select
- Octave select
- Pattern / Direction select
- Gate length
- Number of steps before the sequence wraps around
- One-Shot mode, where the sequence stops after playing once
- "Mod 1" and "Mod 2": Those knob-rows are freely assignable in the modmatrix
- "Mod 2"-row can be replaced by "Transpose"-row to transpose every step by [-24,24] semitones (note that both features can still be used simultaneously)
- On/Off button for every step in the sequence
- Gate length and Speed are also available as modulation targets

Also there are a few other changes, here's the full changelog:

- new feature: Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer
- new modulation sources: Arp Mod 1 & 2
- new modulation tagets: Arp Speed & Arp Gate
- all sync-time selectors now show a dropdown with most common times on click
- unison selector now shows dropdown rather than being click-draggable
- fixed issue where unison+legato would produce clicks
- changed default value for Delay-Feedback to 0.45
- changed default value for Delay-Wet to 0.7
- implemented MIDI-AllNotesOff
- implemented MIDI-allSoundOff
- modwheel and pitchbend are no longer loaded with patches
- drastically reduced filesize for patches without draw-oscs
- enlargened the height of the GUI, thereby relaxing the spacing in the LFOs

Further roadmap for Odin 2

I will halt development for now (my thesis is due in two weeks :roll: )

The next step will be to implement the patch-browser which so many people have been asking for. After that the beta will end and I will release Odin. Along with the release comes a tutorial series, a proper promotion video as well as the patch library.

Features definitely planned after release:
- An envelope editor to change the curvature of envelopes

Features maybe planned after release:
- A larger wave-editor window, with more editing options (straight lines, load/save waves etc.)
- A written manual

As always thanks for all your feedback and testing.
If you still have patches lying around or want to upgrade yours to the arp, now is a good time! :)
Good luck!

Return to “Instruments”