VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
raiderpdog
KVRian
800 posts since 26 Jul, 2018

Post Mon May 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Good luck with your thesis, have really enjoyed Odin so far.

User avatar
Saffran
KVRist
425 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am

If someone want new presets to play with while he's studying:
https://gofile.io/d/0IGjt0
The dl should be good for 10 days.
Preset saffran d01 and d02 was done with the new sequencer version.

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:33 am

Saffran wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:16 am
If someone want new presets to play with while he's studying:
https://gofile.io/d/0IGjt0
The dl should be good for 10 days.
Preset saffran d01 and d02 was done with the new sequencer version.
Thank you. :wink:

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 am


User avatar
Sinisterbr
KVRist
336 posts since 11 Mar, 2010

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 am

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am
Version 2.1.0 is live!


There's a big new feature: The Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer!

Screenshot from 2020-05-17 19-16-08.png

You can find it via the button over the modmatrix! The features are:

- Time select
- Octave select
- Pattern / Direction select
- Gate length
- Number of steps before the sequence wraps around
- One-Shot mode, where the sequence stops after playing once
- "Mod 1" and "Mod 2": Those knob-rows are freely assignable in the modmatrix
- "Mod 2"-row can be replaced by "Transpose"-row to transpose every step by [-24,24] semitones (note that both features can still be used simultaneously)
- On/Off button for every step in the sequence
- Gate length and Speed are also available as modulation targets

Also there are a few other changes, here's the full changelog:

- new feature: Arpeggiator / Step Sequencer
- new modulation sources: Arp Mod 1 & 2
- new modulation tagets: Arp Speed & Arp Gate
- all sync-time selectors now show a dropdown with most common times on click
- unison selector now shows dropdown rather than being click-draggable
- fixed issue where unison+legato would produce clicks
- changed default value for Delay-Feedback to 0.45
- changed default value for Delay-Wet to 0.7
- implemented MIDI-AllNotesOff
- implemented MIDI-allSoundOff
- modwheel and pitchbend are no longer loaded with patches
- drastically reduced filesize for patches without draw-oscs
- enlargened the height of the GUI, thereby relaxing the spacing in the LFOs

Further roadmap for Odin 2

I will halt development for now (my thesis is due in two weeks :roll: )

The next step will be to implement the patch-browser which so many people have been asking for. After that the beta will end and I will release Odin. Along with the release comes a tutorial series, a proper promotion video as well as the patch library.

Features definitely planned after release:
- An envelope editor to change the curvature of envelopes

Features maybe planned after release:
- A larger wave-editor window, with more editing options (straight lines, load/save waves etc.)
- A written manual

As always thanks for all your feedback and testing.
If you still have patches lying around or want to upgrade yours to the arp, now is a good time! :)
Warden, I think you should also consider making Odin2 more "skinnable-friendly" (if doable). I'm sure you'd be surprised how easily you'd get great skins from the community by doing this, so it'd be a win-win for everyone!

Good luck with your thesis!

User avatar
Saffran
KVRist
425 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active.

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Feature request (If doable) : I would like to be able to modulate the LFO amplitude to create a delayed vibrato, not just the LFO pitch.

User avatar
TheWaveWarden
KVRist
105 posts since 10 Apr, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm

Sinisterbr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 am
Warden, I think you should also consider making Odin2 more "skinnable-friendly" (if doable). I'm sure you'd be surprised how easily you'd get great skins from the community by doing this, so it'd be a win-win for everyone!

Good luck with your thesis!
To be honest, I have no idea how this would be done. There is a way to load graphics from files, but that would mean I'd have to store a folder with all 800+ graphic assets lying around with the synth. It would also probably increase loading times quite a bit. So this one is not very high on my prio list ;-) If I find an easy way to do it, I might though.
Saffran wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm
Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active. Only problem I see is I'd need to implement a "3-state button", which is probably quite some work. I'll think about it.
Latching, like in, that step would always have a gate time of 100%? That's an interesting idea!
Erisian wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:50 pm
Feature request (If doable) : I would like to be able to modulate the LFO amplitude to create a delayed vibrato, not just the LFO pitch.
Hmmm, I think you can achieve this with the "Scale" row in the modmatrix. Set up your modulation and then set "Mod Envelope" in "Scale" with amount 100%. If you set a long attack on the mod-env now the modulation will gradually fade in. Or is there something else what you're tryint to achieve?

Regardless, having the amplitude of the LFO as a modulation target is probably doable and not very difficult to implement... I added this one to the todo list (if doable) ;-) no promise though

User avatar
Saffran
KVRist
425 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 pm

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Saffran wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm
Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active. Only problem I see is I'd need to implement a "3-state button", which is probably quite some work. I'll think about it.
Latching, like in, that step would always have a gate time of 100%? That's an interesting idea!
I see it as instead of two short notes it would be one long note.
Maybe more than two notes. A sequencer with less staccato.
Probably would add more rythmic variation too.

User avatar
TheWaveWarden
KVRist
105 posts since 10 Apr, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:08 pm

Saffran wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Saffran wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:41 pm
Feature request (if doable) : Possibility to latch adjacent checkboxes in the sequencer. Rightclick to select and it changes color when active. Only problem I see is I'd need to implement a "3-state button", which is probably quite some work. I'll think about it.
Latching, like in, that step would always have a gate time of 100%? That's an interesting idea!
I see it as instead of two short notes it would be one long note.
Maybe more than two notes. A sequencer with less staccato.
Probably would add more rythmic variation too.
Ah now I get it. The note stays into the next step... Hmmm that's even better an idea :D

User avatar
photonic
KVRian
557 posts since 5 Mar, 2011 from Austria

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi all,

I found Odin2 some weeks ago and after making some presets I saw the great potential of this synth. I like to have aftertouch (or channel pressure) for more expression to bring more live into the sound. Now I tried to make a short track to see how the sounds blend together in a production. I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2953 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Fri May 22, 2020 12:12 am

photonic wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 pm
Hi all,

I found Odin2 some weeks ago and after making some presets I saw the great potential of this synth. I like to have aftertouch (or channel pressure) for more expression to bring more live into the sound. Now I tried to make a short track to see how the sounds blend together in a production. I only used Odin2, with some gentle touch of EQ and a ton of reverb :wink:

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/odin2-ambient-style

Have fun!
:clap: :love:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 am

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm
Hmmm, I think you can achieve this with the "Scale" row in the modmatrix. Set up your modulation and then set "Mod Envelope" in "Scale" with amount 100%. If you set a long attack on the mod-env now the modulation will gradually fade in. Or is there something else what you're tryint to achieve?
That sounds exactly like what I want. I have never used scale before and didn't know what it was for. I'll give that a go - thank you. :tu:

Tannaliini
KVRist
117 posts since 12 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Should there be some factory sound bank with the Odin 2? I have no presets with the installed Odin2...

User avatar
Erisian
KVRian
1211 posts since 21 Mar, 2020

Re: VST/AU Synth Beta Testers: Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

Post Fri May 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Tannaliini wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm
Should there be some factory sound bank with the Odin 2? I have no presets with the installed Odin2...
No, we are all creating presets that will become the official soundbank when the finished version is released.

There is a link in this post to some of those that have been made by people.
viewtopic.php?p=7751296#p7751296

Return to “Instruments”