Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Oh ok.. that is awesome!

I've never participated in anything like this.. sounds really interesting! I'm going to give it a download and play around with it later on. thanks TheWaveWarden :)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 am Reverb is really hard to get right. To be honest, I don't have a good idea how to implement a good reverb :wink: I think you're better off using the usually very competent reverb in your DAW. As for compressor, I don't think it's something which belongs inside the synthesis engine (just personal taste).
Please don't include reverb! Its the least important and the most expensive of all FX, as all DAWs have reverb there is no necessity to include it. (especially if it can't be made world class...)
I know this is considered heresy, people are used to it, but the only reason synths include it, is for selling reasons. The cheapest synth thrown into a wash of reverb seems to sound decent. This synth sound also good without reverb and doesn't need cheating...
Even in good commercial synths I have to edit presets into something more useful by eliminating all reverbs.
I prefer to add it in the mix for better clarity. Then I only need one instance, and all instruments play in the same space...

TheWaveWarden wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 am I was able to reproduce the issue last night, however. No idea what's happening though :?
Just a note that TSC seem to have fixed the issue with VST3 plugins in Waveform on their end. Something to do with losing the MIDI connection.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Reverb in a plugin gets interesting only if you can modulate e.g. the tails. I guess that it could help to reach a bigger audience but in my case I'm also not missing it.

In a proper DAW you can modulate the tails of any reverb...
Of course there are two fundamentally different use cases for a reverb. One is an effect with all kinds of crazy modulations, it can be as unnatural as you like, and the other, placing your sound source in a space. For the latter its better to use exactly one in your project...

I know that DAWs can modulate parameters externally (subject to maybe a lower resolution, as they operate on processing blocks and the internal modulations have potential to operate sample-wise (just nitpicking)), but you can't modulate using internal modulation resources not available outside (e.g. envelopes, LFOs). For example for doing a hihat patch it might get interesting to have an enveloped reverb and you may want that reverb to be part of the patch.

As said, a nice to have, but definitely not vital.

Then these days there are lots of MIT/BSD licensed decent DSP blocks on the net and reverbs are not an exception, it's not that strictly necessary to do things from scratch. It's more about if the dev considers it the feature fits in the concept he has for the synth (useful vs bloat).

A proper DAW has also envelopes and others stuff as audio rate modulators...
Have you tried... (no, not that again....; - )
I don’t need a reverb as fx inside a synth, as I can still achieve the same or similar results outside... I can even save such combinations as preset. I would only limit my options if I would want to sell those presets...
But Odin is free and has a non-commercial attitude anyway. Implementing reverb would be a waist of resources of the dev and of my processing powers...

Checked this one out the last 2 hours and got some interesting sounds out of it. I like it for basses especially! Every synth is Odin with a few plugins afterwards.

This is what i got:
https://soundcloud.com/cross_ed/odin2

Nice ^

Hi after participating at the osc challenge and soundesigning everything from scratch with my entri, I finally take the time to write some feedback here :
I'm king of new to electronic music, and english is not my native langage. So I hope I'll be understood and my points not silly :)
-First, I love Odin2 ! It is really powerfull and easy to learn at the same time! Congratulation on features and Global UI !
-I encountered some display bugs with vector oscillators not showing good X Y value when reopening UI (Reaper 6 win 10 here)
-It consume a lot of cpu. If it could be optimised a little more, that would be great. That's the first time I had to freeze so many tracks within my projects!
-Even Silent instances can eat quite a bit of cpu (I mean with no midi on the track, track not being armed either)
-Loved all the distinct types of oscillators! There is a lot to explore, and what a good sound.
-Loved to be able to play with saturation and distortions so easily. They really can bring unexpted/interesting caracter to the sound. Still I could not find a usecase to the zero distortion algorythm.
-What I missed the most UI wise is the ability to choose lfo in a list similar to oscillators/filters. The way we have to switch them now is really not user friendly IMO.
-Mod matrix really help to taylor sounds and responsiveness quickly. I love to use aftertouch and modwheel / Pitchbend to perform the parts, mod matrix allowed me to really get precisely touch response to my liking with my launchpad.
-What annoyed me a little with mod matrix is that you can't undo source choice and mod amount. I missed a little that we can't automate them either ( but not a deal breaker...)
-I did not missed reverb, I'll use dragonfly's ones anyway!
-I'm glad to see the mono/legato will be reworked!
Ok so that's it! Keep up the good work please! I'm really enjoying that one :)
Cheers

On the reverb (and fx in a synth in general); to me, these days, fx included in the synth gets really interesting when it applies per voice. Sure, it is nice to have a mod, a delay, etc, but all daws have those fx baked in (and there are so many free vst's for that application).

Synths like Phaseplant and Falcon are (again to me) so interesting because one can apply fx per voice. Which is so cool to play with.

Reverb per voice? Just give it a longer release and send the mix into a reverb! Does the same for unbelievably less CPU...

ElVincente wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:21 pm Hi after participating at the osc challenge and soundesigning everything from scratch with my entri, I finally take the time to write some feedback here :
Thanks for your detailled feedback! Lots of this was already mentioned and/or is planned before release

Xbucket wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:33 am Checked this one out the last 2 hours and got some interesting sounds out of it. I like it for basses especially! Every synth is Odin with a few plugins afterwards.

This is what i got:
https://soundcloud.com/cross_ed/odin2
Nice! Too bad you're two weeks late for OSC ;-)

Return to “Instruments”