FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

@triggerthehorizon Probably something like that in the long run, but likely more than a few months out and, at the time it's ready, we'll require users' express consent to move licenses around (due to GDPR).

There's no plan to close down the FXpansion site or its servers, but if people decline consent to move their licenses, I can't guarantee that downloads for moved products will continue to be available indefinitely.

Btw - Strobe/Cypher can already authenticate against a ROLI or FXpansion account, and Geist will get the same capability before too long.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Thank you Angus :)

revvy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 pm
Angus_FX wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:37 pm Geist2 is safe - it just had a significant maintenance update in February.

That FutureMusic (USA) article is chock full of obvious errors. ROLI has reached out to request corrections. (The more well known Future Music you may be familiar with, the long-established magazine title, is an entirely different entity and is hosted at https://www.musicradar.com/futuremusic )

Cypher2 & Strobe2 are still being maintained and form a key part of ROLI Studio Player. ROLI Studio Drums is based on the same engine (which is neither Geist nor Tremor, but a cousin of those).
Thanks Angus. Love Geist2.

Good luck with all!
Likewise... I love Geist2, so this is great news.

And I love what you guys have done with ROLI Studio Drums... but I'm guessing this is the little brother of a future product (which I'm afraid will supersede Geist... Cousin or no cousin)? Either way, I think Geist should be useable as long as its supported

Mr. Angus... I don't feel so good

[snap]

Hey, kidding, glad that Geist is still with FXPansion!

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 pm
revvy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:42 pm
Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 am https://futuremusic.com/2020/04/24/roli ... -keyboard/

"Next to go was FXpansion, the UK developer of the Strobe soft synth, and most notably BFD, a popular acoustic drum simulator that is enjoyed by studio engineers who relish it’s ability to augment recorded kits. InMusic is the lucky winner this time, the same conglomerate behind Akai, Numark, Alesis and M-Audio. The brain trust behind FXpansion, including the entire engineering department, will not stay at Roli to work on Cyber and Strobe, but instead head over to InMusic. "

So, that's end of the line for Cypher and Strobe, it seems?
To be clear - FXpansion was *NOT* sold. Only BFD. The BFD IP + team have gone to inMusic. Everything else to do with FXpansion remains with ROLI and Cypher2 and Strobe2 are still very much appreciated parts of the portfolio.

That article is wrong in what it says about FXpansion.
So Geist is a non-appreciated part of the portfolio (sic)?

Lack of synergies possibly.
My skin bubbles with fire and I look like an angry Chucky doll whenever I read that word. :dog:

I wouldn't say Geist is not appreciated. I think there are internal moves to do something with it, but I don't really know much beyond that.
You'd have to have either been through more than one merger/takeover or heard this word too often from just the one experience. Either way sir, you have my sympathies and I know you're pain!! :lol:
Synergy, cadence, and usage of the word "align" in sentences where it doesn't belong ... :dog:

I'm rather ashamed to report that it was the BFD team who first used the word synergies in a meeting last week (don't worry, we paid penance)

The inMusic team use proper words. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Amberience on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:47 pm Does anyone know what kind of anti-piracy InMusic use for their stuff? Will BFD now require an ILOK?
It will not require an iLok, and I am very keen to avoid any dongle requirements. I will go all William Wallace if anyone suggests it. :tu:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:16 pm Any news on when the BFD3 maintenance update will be released to fix some of the grooves not appearing in the pane on the bottom left of the grooves page
Could I get more details on this report please? It's not something I'm aware of.
This is what I'm seeing right now:

(fresh internal build, so not the same as the current public release/beta)

We're aiming for a point release in the next few weeks. But as ever with these "let's actually be nice and give out some info to our users even though it's probably making a rod for our own backs" type posts, that could change at the first sight of an explosive bug. :party:

Capture.PNG
I get this with several of my grooves. Sometimes clicking on the groove several times will make it appear, other times not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 pm
elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:46 pm
revvy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:42 pm
Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:20 am https://futuremusic.com/2020/04/24/roli ... -keyboard/

"Next to go was FXpansion, the UK developer of the Strobe soft synth, and most notably BFD, a popular acoustic drum simulator that is enjoyed by studio engineers who relish it’s ability to augment recorded kits. InMusic is the lucky winner this time, the same conglomerate behind Akai, Numark, Alesis and M-Audio. The brain trust behind FXpansion, including the entire engineering department, will not stay at Roli to work on Cyber and Strobe, but instead head over to InMusic. "

So, that's end of the line for Cypher and Strobe, it seems?
To be clear - FXpansion was *NOT* sold. Only BFD. The BFD IP + team have gone to inMusic. Everything else to do with FXpansion remains with ROLI and Cypher2 and Strobe2 are still very much appreciated parts of the portfolio.

That article is wrong in what it says about FXpansion.
So Geist is a non-appreciated part of the portfolio (sic)?

Lack of synergies possibly.
My skin bubbles with fire and I look like an angry Chucky doll whenever I read that word. :dog:

I wouldn't say Geist is not appreciated. I think there are internal moves to do something with it, but I don't really know much beyond that.
You'd have to have either been through more than one merger/takeover or heard this word too often from just the one experience. Either way sir, you have my sympathies and I know you're pain!! :lol:
Synergy, cadence, and usage of the word "align" in sentences where it doesn't belong ... :dog:

I'm rather ashamed to report that it was the BFD team who first used the word synergies in a meeting last week (don't worry, we paid penance)

The inMusic team use proper words. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Penance!? Thought he'd lost his job to the Roli merger. Glad he's still with you :tu:

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:47 pm
triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:47 pm Does anyone know what kind of anti-piracy InMusic use for their stuff? Will BFD now require an ILOK?
It will not require an iLok, and I am very keen to avoid any dongle requirements. I will go all William Wallace if anyone suggests it. :tu:
Can I squeeze you for a confirmation that it will not be dependant on iLok, in any way i.e soft or cloud?

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:56 pm Capture.PNGI get this with several of my grooves. Sometimes clicking on the groove several times will make it appear, other times not.
Ahhh! Nice one. I know what it is, and yes it's a bug.

When you change the library tag, whatever groove palette is selected first doesn't show it's contents. If you move away from it and move back then it will. I'll log that in our bug tracking system now. Thanks.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:03 pm
Can I squeeze you for a confirmation that it will not be dependant on iLok, in any way i.e soft or cloud?
I am very very very very NOT up for any form of iLok in either of it's forms. We've got our own challenge response auth system which has done us well, and I'd be loathe to change it and no-one on the team has made any noises about changing it. :o :o

Amberience wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:09 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:03 pm
I am very very very very NOT up for any form of iLok in either of it's forms. We've got our own challenge response auth system which has done us well, and I'd be loathe to change it and no-one on the team has made any noises about changing it. :o :o
Nice!! I guess the fear was that iLok is the inMusic way, and that it would need to eventually change to the same system. I guess there's no reason that should automatically be the case.

Looking forward to what is to come. Thanks! :tu:

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:23 pm

And I love what you guys have done with ROLI Studio Drums...
Happy to hear that you like it. These are 5D drums....I mean, say it again: 5-Dimensional drum sounds. :o :D Crazy sh!t. :D

(although, they mostly use 4 dimensions :hihi: )
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I'm ok with the existing serial system or iLok. :borg: I like iLok. :borg:

Return to “Instruments”