FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

don't care
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 pm is it ever going to be tested and try to work under Big Sur? I don't necessarily mean with the new ARM hardware, Big Sur is reported as being snappier across the board with the Intel processors. Most plugins I use as well as Cubase are compatibile now.
The next build will support Big Sur. Build after that one will support M1.

I'm running dev builds on Big Sur right now. I hate the iconography apple have introduced. :roll:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
Judging by some of the user research I've done over the years, not a lot of people use the mixer for actual processing. They mainly use it for routing. So I think there are probably questions about how relevant it would be to load plugins into BFD3; I'm definitely all ears on the issue though!! Anyone else feel like they wanna kick me in the face for even daring to suggest it shouldn't be a priority? :dog:
Nah, I can see that routing to the DAW's effects makes sense, guess I just wanted to make the internal effects and mixing more relevant. Maybe just improve those or license some known brands to spice up the current fair.

Really just improvements to the Groove system in terms of ergonomics and fix that installer would make me happy (and knowing that BFD actually has a future of course).

Pro tip as to installation: establish one higher level directory, let's call it FXpansion for the purpose. Any new installation, tell the installer the folder you want is that library's name as given, and is to reside below the "FXpansion" directory; this folder doesn't exist yet and the installer will offer you the chance for it to create it. Don't get cute with it.

lkj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 pm What might seem like utter silence is actually a small team with their heads down, cracking on with the work required.
Unless you let us know what you are up to, we just assume nothing. Maybe send out an email every few months with an update on what you are doing or just to remind us...? maybe... no?

Anyway, I have around $2500 invested in tiss platform. So good to know there is intent to keep BFD active. I am mentally preparing for BFD3 being discontinued however, partly due to the aforementioned lack of communication.

Thanks for the update!

plexuss wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 pm
Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 pm What might seem like utter silence is actually a small team with their heads down, cracking on with the work required.
Unless you let us know what you are up to, we just assume nothing. Maybe send out an email every few months with an update on what you are doing or just to remind us...? maybe... no?

Anyway, I have around $2500 invested in tiss platform. So good to know there is intent to keep BFD active. I am mentally preparing for BFD3 being discontinued however, partly due to the aforementioned lack of communication.

Thanks for the update!
It's a tricky line. We can't divulge all of our plans, because not only do plans change, but you've got to manage expectations and hype in a sensible manner.

Once the recent stuff we've been developing gets launched, I'll be a bit more active on here and other audio-tech forums. You can always PM me if you've got questions or ideas.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

I have zero confidence in this product line today.
Edit note: I'd had a very bad day, I shouldn't have updated with... anything on the line. I still got back to work but I'd had to roll back.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:48 am I have zero confidence in this product line today.
Of course. If they dont tell us whats going on then it's fair to assume its vapourware, because, that's what vapourware is.

Amberience wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:59 am It's a tricky line. We can't divulge all of our plans, because not only do plans change, but you've got to manage expectations and hype in a sensible manner.
Of course, but at the moment expectations are zero with a lot of people, so maybe throw people a bone? If everyone's busy with development then outsource getting a website portal going. Nothing fancy, you don't have to divulge plans, but at least it would look like something was happening.

For example, I have been looking at other drum solutions because of the lack of info and if I invest in a different developer I won't be keen to come back to BFD later. Equally, any threads where people ask if they should get BFD I always advise not to, and I've seen others do the same. You are losing potential sales with this submarine 'silent running' tactic. Maybe you're great coders, but you need to be better businessmen too.

Nothing against Drew at all, but I get a strong sense we're going to be looking at either this same situation this time next year - happily proven wrong!
or inMusic has done the math and decided it isn't worth anything. A skeleton crew as described, heads down, ok but the company itself (go to their website and look for BFD3)?

ROLI apparently had zero interest for at least a year.
edit notes, I have some faith in BFD Drums but inMusic is just a hungry corporate monster afaic, I don't do trust with that kind of entity.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh here's a technical matter someone should probably be apprised of: I encountered some issues using it and one of the things I tried was to clear out everything BFD and reinstall. I didn't have the installer on my drive. Chrome sees a non-secure download there from FXpansion, and I couldn't get it to start. Had to use Safari.

Literally don't bother downloading from fxpansion.com right now - give it.... maybe 30minutes....

Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
Judging by some of the user research I've done over the years, not a lot of people use the mixer for actual processing. They mainly use it for routing. So I think there are probably questions about how relevant it would be to load plugins into BFD3; I'm definitely all ears on the issue though!! Anyone else feel like they wanna kick me in the face for even daring to suggest it shouldn't be a priority? :dog:
With all of these drum plugins (e.g., BFD, SD, SSD) I only use the mixer for routing and sometimes setting levels internally. I would not want to deal with a plugin that acts as a host, scans plugins, more 3rd party error messages, crashes, and blacklists, etc. No thanks, just keep it simple, let the plugin be the plugin and let the DAW be the host.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm With all of these drum plugins (e.g., BFD, SD, SSD) I only use the mixer for routing and sometimes setting levels internally. I would not want to deal with a plugin that acts as a host, scans plugins, more 3rd party error messages, crashes, and blacklists, etc. No thanks, just keep it simple, let the plugin be the plugin and let the DAW be the host.
I tend to agree. The development time we'd spend implementing such a thing could be better spent on better workflows, songwriting tools, clever bits of DSP, et. al.

This is something we've tussled with for years, but never truly had a convincing case for it.

Return to “Instruments”