FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:31 pm That's a strange one. Which version of Windows are you running?
Latest one

what am I supposed to do now? (see attachment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Baleet.

I'm holding off upgrading until I know for sure that BFD can be used offline.
I came here for news about that, but it sounds like it's all big s**t show.
:o

Amberience wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 pm Damn :( I've got a few reports like this. I'm compiling them and sending to the devs. We will get this fixed!
I'm confident you will, and I have high hopes for BFD4 as well, if inMusic let you do your thing (I reckon they'll try to milk the current products ie expansions early on with a few more sales than in the past as to let that revenue finance the work on BFD4, but that's normal...).

But right now, I do, unfortunately, need a working BFD3 because a friend of mine needs urgent help with some "real" drumwork. I'd rather drill myself another ... than use SSD5, and I don't want to move to SD either.

... so would you happen to have an ETA (or a beta) you might be inclined to share? :pray:

Amberience wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:22 pm
epiphaneia wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:52 am
Amberience wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:40 am
epiphaneia wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:31 am
Amberience wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:05 am * Expansion packs now no longer disable themselves when offline.
With wifi disabled (Mac, Logic Pro X):

"BFD has been disabled because you are not logged into your inmusic account. Please run the bfd license manager".

I don't get to the point that expansion packs don't work offline because the whole of bfd doesn't work offline in the first place.. is it supposed to still be like that?
Please try logging into your inMusic account via License Manager, and only then going offline. Please let me know.
That works - once. When I close and re-open Logic and then open BFD again, I need to go online again for starting BFD successfully. I thought the new build would heal that problem?
Damn :(

I've got a few reports like this. I'm compiling them and sending to the devs. We will get this fixed!
So, over 2 weeks later, is there any news on wether the devs are going to be able to fix this?
You have a nice sale on but i'm not spending any more money on bfd as it is.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

that seems like a problem with it in Logic, the keychain nag was removed around two weeks ago on Mac, the online requirement was addressed around the same time, and it just works here. But I'm not in Logic, I use it in VE Pro. Initially larger projects with BFD3.4 caused it to hang on quit, that's no longer the case with 3.4.1.11. Both standalone and VE Pro instantiation and use, saves of any part of it, may be done with wifi off.

jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:55 pm that seems like a problem with it in Logic, the keychain nag was removed around two weeks ago on Mac, the online requirement was addressed around the same time, and it just works here. But I'm not in Logic, I use it in VE Pro. Initially larger projects with BFD3.4 caused it to hang on quit, that's no longer the case with 3.4.1.11. Both standalone and VE Pro instantiation and use, saves of any part of it, may be done with wifi off.
Unfortunately, at least on my system (which runs favorably hundreds of other plugins) this is not the case:

The keychain issue has apparently been fixed, but when I´m offline, I can´t open the BFD3 standalone application either (same thing: "you are not logged in... etcetc"), so it´s not only the AU plugin in Logic.

I´m glad that it´s working for you though.

(I´m slightly annoyed though that not only there´s still no hotfix for that problem - there´s also dead silence now regarding this issue from the BFD guys. Something like "here´s a beta" or "the fix will be out in 8-10 days, sorry it took a while" would be fine, anything - but as it is now, in 10 days I´ll just write off BFD3 and move to SD3)

Do you still have fxpansion software lurking on your system?
IE: having both seems a conflict.

particularly having fxpansion's license manager still extant

weirdly, the only time 3.4 was any real issue was the keychain SNAFU the first day, which lasted one afternoon. it wouldn't take my password, I didn't know what it wanted but it was the administrator password locally, and no. I have no idea how or why it stopped but I came back the next day and it took the damn password. I have reliable wifi but that can go, so I checked a few times, it hasn't balked with it off since two weeks ago.

jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:58 pm Do you still have fxpansion software lurking on your system?
IE: having both seems a conflict.
Yes, I do, and can't try-and-wipe because I need the fxpansion license manager to keep geist and strobe running... :?

OOH, tough situation. I don't envy you. I have no idea about a windows installation but my understanding on OSX is that stuff has to go for this to work without those kinds of hitches, a sort of vicious circle. Is Drew apprised of this?

jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:52 pm OOH, tough situation. I don't envy you. I have no idea about a windows installation but my understanding on OSX is that stuff has to go for this to work without those kinds of hitches, a sort of vicious circle. Is Drew apprised of this?
I reckon it would be different had the bfd guys not re-used 99% of the fxpansion license manager code, but that's just guessing.

If it turns out that there is such an interdependency which they can't solve quickly, I'll have to stick with geist2, move from bfd3 to sd3... and try to not to be annoyed with the sunk costs.

Drew should know, as I was the first here to reply it didn't work and he replied with "we'll get this fixed". I posted at bfdforum asking whether there's a beta, and mailed support - without any reaction.

I understand that it's probably quite annoying (and stealing time from more productive tasks) to hop forums and tell people "sorry guys, it's taking longer than expected, but we're still on it", but when one wants people to hold faith in a product that's in takeover limbo, I'd do it.

I'd forgot, I misspoke, the keychain item was not the only issue, I encountered a conflict with the old license manager and was advised to trash it. Easy for me to do but the other thing was aliens.
I have the same guess, it's got to be very nearly the same code which somehow the system is experiencing as untoward.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bill45 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm Does in Music support BFD 2. I still have not upgrarded to BFD3.Not sure if I migrated my account Corectly.
There is no migration of BFD2. The version is deprecated; the BFD Drums license manager doesn't support it. Can't say what the fxpansion LM does, BFD2 cannot be installed here and it was de rigeur to delete fxpansion software afaict to make 3.4 work here.
I have it totally working since day 2 under Catalina OS, 15.6 and 15.7. Day 1 was not so good, but my gremlins split the scene overnight.

Return to “Instruments”