One Synth Challenge #135: TRICENT mk III by Full Bucket Music

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Leonard Bowman
KVRist
111 posts since 4 Jul, 2018 from North Carolina, United States of America

Post Thu May 07, 2020 9:52 am

Yeah... it's one thing when you use FX to get around your computer's limited processing capabilities, and another when you use FX to get around the synth's limited sound-making capabilities.

For what it's worth, I wish there was a way to make the oscillators not random phase, but there isn't so I'm not going to bother working around it.
Or at least a way to retune the synth so that I don't have these dreadful pure octaves...
Just my 2^(2/1200)

Specialbeat
KVRer
1 posts since 5 May, 2020

Re: One Synth Challenge #135: TRICENT mk III by Full Bucket Music

Post Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 pm

What no glide!!!

Full Bucket
KVRian
667 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm

Turn power off while playing, it will glide down like old Hammond organs did. Maybe. This is a capricious little beast.

Suzuka
KVRer
13 posts since 17 Sep, 2017

Post Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 am

Hey! I just saw that this month synth is Tricent. I love it, so maybe I'll participate.
I have one question:
- Are vsti arpegiators allowed?
(I guess that they are allowed since they don't change the synth sound, but I want to be sure)

PS: Thanks a lot for your synths, Full Bucket, I love all of them, they are incredible. This Tricent has become one of my fav vsti synths ever.

z.prime
KVRAF
1830 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Fri May 08, 2020 7:02 am

Suzuka wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:51 am
- Are vsti arpegiators allowed?
Yes, of course. Just not commercial ones was the last I recall on the subject; you could always bounce out to midi whatever it is, anyway...

Suzuka
KVRer
13 posts since 17 Sep, 2017

Post Fri May 08, 2020 7:10 am

thank you z.prime!

digitalxero
KVRer
4 posts since 4 Feb, 2015

Post Fri May 08, 2020 7:49 am

Hi! New here but I'm interested in trying out this challenge. I do have a question though - what's the rule on compression? I was going to glue a couple kicks together but am concerned that might be too processed outside the synth.

doctorbob
KVRian
1456 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 am

Many people use multiple tracks (layers) to get the sound they want. Each layer adds something extra to the sound in the mix, but each track is of course "native synth" sounds! Glueing with compression is a perfectly reasonable way to go - heck, who doesn't dump some compression on their percussion buss? Just don't overdo it - and definitely don't render/freeze an instance of the kick after processing and cut and paste that instance across the whole song. That's using a "sample", usually to get a consistent sound across all kicks (but NOT allowed). If the synth can't give you consistent kicks, then you haver to live with it (happened many times in the past with many synths!!!).

HTH

dB

z.prime
KVRAF
1830 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Fri May 08, 2020 8:53 am

digitalxero wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:49 am
Hi! New here but I'm interested in trying out this challenge. I do have a question though - what's the rule on compression? I was going to glue a couple kicks together but am concerned that might be too processed outside the synth.
Layering multiple instances, adding compression (which is effectively volume automation, in reality) is A-OK!

digitalxero
KVRer
4 posts since 4 Feb, 2015

Post Fri May 08, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks! Glad to know it's allowed, means I can experiment with layering more :) Obv without overdoing the compression too much. Next up snare & hi-hat if I can get those working...

IV!
KVRist
115 posts since 31 Oct, 2019

Post Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 pm

Yuuhuu! :wheee: An amazing synthesizer from a wonderful creator, very powerful! Really one of the most realistic virtual analogs I've heard! :tu: And this is the first time that I lack monophony (but this is already a lack of the original) and I would be happy to have monophonic mode in Tricent as an exclusive feature for VST, these powerful leads... :pray:
Does switching 8-64 voices affect anything other than... the number of voices?
And...
Full Bucket wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Turn power off while playing, it will glide down like old Hammond organs did. Maybe. This is a capricious little beast.
Power button on the synthesizer panel? I would like to reproduce this effect, but I haven't been able to yet.

Full Bucket
KVRian

Post Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 am

IV! wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 pm
Does switching 8-64 voices affect anything other than... the number of voices?
Yes! Go back to 1982 and tell someone he could have 64 voices instead of 8 just by clicking a button... :hihi:
IV! wrote: And...
Full Bucket wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Power button on the synthesizer panel? I would like to reproduce this effect, but I haven't been able to yet.
You are right. Of course I mean powering down your computer. :hihi:

I was kidding. NO, the Trident had no glide. And no monophonic mode (that's why there is Key Assign Mode 2 which comes close to playing a monophonic instrument), and no Unison mode (which I believe is the thing you are missing).

Cheers, Björn

jasinski
KVRian
680 posts since 20 Oct, 2003 from Seattle

Post Sat May 09, 2020 8:17 am

Glide: creative use of pitchshift
Non-octave intervals and 'Unison': Stack synth instances and pitch offsets!
You can do a lot with a little outside-of-the-box thinking.

Full Bucket
KVRian

Post Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 pm

:tu:

IV!
KVRist
115 posts since 31 Oct, 2019

Post Sat May 09, 2020 3:58 pm

Full Bucket wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 am
Yes! Go back to 1982 and tell someone he could have 64 voices instead of 8 just by clicking a button... :hihi:
Thank you, I've been laughing about it for a long time! :lol: Actually, I was referring to some switching of internal signal processing algorithms or the type of circuit emulation that is found in some vintage effects emulators... So 8 voices in Tricent just to feel like you're back in 1982? This is also good!) :tu:

Return to “Instruments”