WaveSim A PPG Wave 2.2/2.3 and Waveterm Emulation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1164626723875960/

A group about the fantastic PPG Wave 2.2 / 2.3 and Waveterm emulation by H.Seib.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

That is a great one. However its hard to read the text on the interface.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

In the current version, wts files can now also be played. These files are generated by PPG Wavegenerator and Wavemapper2.
https://www.hermannseib.com/english/syn ... avesim.htm

WaveSim - the virtual PPG in the PC

Waveterm C was born sometime in 2001 due to preliminary work by a certain Dave Forward. A few years earlier, he had already done important development work with MS-DOS by decrypting and documenting the basic features of the PPG-BUS protocol so that program and waveform data could be transferred to the wave.

Hermann Seib's original intention for WaveSim was mainly to create a test platform for his V8.3 of the Wave 2.2 / 2.3. Burning new EPROMs and stuffing them into the wave after every small change in the 6809 assembly code was tedious. How "pleasant" a wave can react when you tug at your boards is well known. Something like debugging is practically impossible that way.

So he wrote a program that simulates the hardware as accurately as possible. First of all without sound output, which has made V8.3 programming much easier (WaveSim can simply load new EPROM content and a rudimentary 6809 debugger is also on board). The sound generation was added later. Meanwhile, the accuracy is so good that you can start an arpeggiator with the same notes on Wave 2.2 and WaveSim at the same time and if you listen twenty minutes later they still run synchronously.

This virtual or simulated PPG system consists of two components. WaveSim is the plugin or standalone program that emulates the Wave 2.2 / 2.3. Waveterm C is the emulation of the PPG WavetermA / B.

As a fan of PPG and other hardware tone generators, Hermann has a well-stocked website with many synthesizers and extensive descriptions and illustrations.

If you know the sounds of a PPG, of course you also like, you will quickly notice what was created here. So for my part I take my hat off to Hermann. Wolfgang Palm's life's work is also extensively and extensively recognized here on Amazona.

The Waveterm C is actually delivered in two different versions. First, the "Local Interface connects" for communication with Wavesim and what makes the small program so interesting, the "Midi Interface connects", for communication with the hardware PPGs. That means that the program works via Midi with the Waves. It is important, however, that OS 8.3 must be implemented.

Since WaveSim has given full attention to compatibility with the original, the operation is not as smooth and smooth as with a VST plugin with scalable GUI and 4k etc. WaveSim impresses solely with its sound and of course tests were also made between hardware and software. Everyone is welcome to take a picture here because YouTube has a film that shows this very nicely.

I don't have to mention that there is also a PPG plugin from Waldorf. Of course, the operation is more convenient there, but the plugin doesn't quite make it sound. Secondly, and this is much stranger, there is no waveterm and no wavetable import. It is beyond me and absolutely incomprehensible.

Waveterm C brings almost the entire range of functions of the real Waveterm into the computer. For me it is always more than impressive in Waveterm C to generate the waveforms using a value input or to paint waveforms to calculate a wavetable that, like the real Waveterm, first moves all 64 slots from top to bottom and then into the wave 2.2 / 2.3 is sent to be playable in 8 voices. The operation with the sometimes cryptic names is also available. Short. A PPG wave for very little money with all the little quirks, if I may call it that in comparison to today's hi-tech plugins, which, however, gives me a lot of fun playing with a lot of charm.

It should also be mentioned that there is a freely available demo version on Hermann's side that you can try out. The entire system with the Waveterm C, which can be purchased from Hermann, is of course much more fun. In terms of price, I would describe it as 90% of the plugins on the market are significantly more expensive.

Anyone who gets to work and looks for videos of bands on YouTube that use the PPG system will be more than amazed at who belongs. Tangerine Dream, Ultravox, Jean Michel Jarre, The Twins and so many more have succumbed to this sound. This synthesizer has shaped an entire era and when it comes to wavetable synthesis you don't have to lose much about it. Mr. Palm should have had this technology patented, the idea is practically obvious, but since he developed wavetable synthesis in 1978 and the first VST instruments came onto the market around 2000, the patent would have expired and no talers would have changed owners.
Some time ago, Hermann integrated an update into Waveterm C, which enables wts files to be imported and sent to the Wave. These wts files are generated by the PPG plugins Wavegenerator and Wavemapper2. Thus, e.g. simple audio files imported into Wavemapper2 saved as wts and played in the wave.

There is a lot more information on the Hermann Seib website, as well as downloads of sounds and transients that can be used with WaveSim.

Those who have no experience with PPG sound generators at all will have to try a bit at the beginning, but I have set up a Facebook page for this. Anyone looking for WaveSim here will also find it. We are still a very small group, but besides Hermann himself, who unfortunately is not very often present and therefore cannot be the "resident guru", we also have some with us who have a PPG system in hardware and have more than sufficient experience. Anyone who asks or wants to participate is of course very welcome. In terms of language, both are currently used. German and English. The instructions were also thought of. There are some documents, partly in German or English, which describe the functionality and operation of Waveterm A and B as well as the two models of the Wave 2.2 / 2.3. describe. These are available in pdf format and can be downloaded.

You forgot to mention there's now also a 64 bit version included! :clap:

On the site there is a download for the VST of Wave 2.2, but what about the 2.3? Is that free as well only by contacting them? Or is it payware?

PietW. wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 pm I don't have to mention that there is also a PPG plugin from Waldorf. Of course, the operation is more convenient there, but the plugin doesn't quite make it sound. Secondly, and this is much stranger, there is no waveterm and no wavetable import. It is beyond me and absolutely incomprehensible.
^^^ THIS ^^^

I told them exactly the same thing, when they were preparing to launch PPG Wave v3.
Fernando (FMR)

Never knew there was a 64 bit version
Good to hear

Seems that herman developed this togehter with legendary Paul Maddox ( now Paula Maddox ) , also known for her work with modal electronics .

P.s. can someone pojnt me out where to get the waveterm (not wavesim ) , can't sem to find it on his site
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 pm Never knew there was a 64 bit version
Good to hear

Seems that herman developed this togehter with legendary Paul Maddox ( now Paula Maddox ) , also known for her work with modal electronics .

P.s. can someone pojnt me out where to get the waveterm (not wavesim ) , can't sem to find it on his site
here? https://www.hermannseib.com/waveterm/download.shtml

Question, the "old" version has the knobs moving by using the mouse up/down, the "new" one using the obnoxious rotating mouse movement, anybody knows how to or if possible to change this ?

Yeager wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:25 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 pm Never knew there was a 64 bit version
Good to hear

here? https://www.hermannseib.com/waveterm/download.shtml
I can't get the Waveterm demo installed, but if I remember well, the AudioTerm program written by Mathias Gurk https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=195396 should be able to make wts files.

If you want to test the program, you will find help from many users on the WaveSim page.
If you have a Wave2 with OS 8.3 you can use Waveterm C to send samples and wavetables to the Wave2.

Yeager wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 pm Question, the "old" version has the knobs moving by using the mouse up/down, the "new" one using the obnoxious rotating mouse movement, anybody knows how to or if possible to change this ?
It seems this is "corrected" in the version from may 12th 2020.
I don't know WHO to thank but... THANK YOU. :clap: :tu:

Hermann has implemented the analysis function in WTC32. Original text from Hermann on our Facebook Wavesim page.

Hermann Seib I've uploaded a new WTC version - 2.03, the "Because I can" edition 😎
This one adds the ANALYSE feature in Waveterm B mode to the AUTOMATIC and MANUAL IOFs on PAGE 3.00.

"Automatic Analyse" works like in Waveterm A mode; you position the "thread" on the start of a wave, press EXECUTE and WTC does a Fourier analysis on a set of 128 samples starting there. So, same result as in Waveterm A mode.
"Manual Analyse" allows to specify the start and end of a wave; this addresses Wolfgang's dismissal of the WTA mode as useless, allowing a wave cycle to be anything from 4 to 4096 samples in length. WTC expands the given set of samples to the next power of 2 by doing a simple linear interpolation (this DOES introduce artefacts, but so does the following reduction to 32 partials anyway), then proceeds as before.
The help pages for the ANALYSE functions are lovingly crafted following the original Waveterm A model's spirit ...
so yeah, not perfect 😎
Have fun!

PietW. wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 pm I don't have to mention that there is also a PPG plugin from Waldorf. Of course, the operation is more convenient there, but the plugin doesn't quite make it sound. Secondly, and this is much stranger, there is no waveterm and no wavetable import. It is beyond me and absolutely incomprehensible.
Weren't Seib and Palm both involved in the Waldorf project? I don't see how it could fall short soundwise.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”