WatchTheGuitar
KVRian
1126 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:35 am

fmr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:33 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 am
I'll not buy either, but eventually get OB-Xa through V Collection 8 or 9 whenever there are enough new additions to compel me to upgrade from V6.
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if, when V Collection comes out, owners of OB-Xa will have an extra discount. After all, owners of FX Collection also got an extra discount on this, compared to owners of V Collection 7, and those get a better price than owners of earlier V Collections, etc.
If I wait until V Collection 8 or 9 and upgrade when it's released or on Black Friday I'll save money overall.
I have about a thousand other plugins to play with until then.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Arturia OB-Xa V

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 am

I created a poll if anybody is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=546026

Robmobius
KVRAF
3518 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:43 am

urosh wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 am
Robmobius wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:49 am
Synapse version will probably a be a bit better (hard to judge without hearing a demo).
If it is "a bit better", Synapse will certainly loose some potential customers (me for example).
Yeah, it's certainly possible. I just wish Synapse would get some demos out soon.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

dermage
KVRian
611 posts since 23 May, 2016

Post Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 am

Just tested and bought this yesterday.
As I'm invested in the Arturia ecosystem + this sounds good and was instantly inspired - this was more or less a no brainer for 49.

+ Arpeggiator -> I love synth integrated Arps as they often are more tuned for the envelopes of the synth and this one can be modulated and has some good options
+ Pan/Spread tuning, good feature, although nothing new as this was possible with modulation eg. in Diva. Quite nice is the visualization though
+ MSEGs/Functions -> Sound Designer love this :) + it's really easy to use. Arturia have a big advantage here with their framework
+ Effects are quite good
+ Synth sounds "fat" and has low end (often missed with earlier vintage emus)
-+ Although I didn't go to the extremes of the filter which is often critized with Arturia, but I could instantly make a track and had a fat lead and bass sound (unlike with Pigments, which is more suited for Pads, Strings etc.)
+ Resizable interface
+ Undo history
+ GUI is really good, I don't mind the OBXa lines

Edit:
- effects should be re-arrangeable. Currently you need to decide the order before tweaking, as they can't be moved/copied aftewards
minor request: effects should have presets
Last edited by dermage on Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark
KVRAF
5190 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am
I listened to another sound demo of the original yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBZrAcaTTqE

I think the stuff at about 5:35 shows well what the Arturia is lacking: Neither the resonance level goes as high, nor is the detail (non linearities) really there. Very curious if the Synapse emu captures that better.
That sort of thing is where softsynths often fall down a bit. Thankfully, in this particular case, the high resonance sound doesn't appeal to me anyway. What I like about the OB-Xa sound is that big, fat, wide, lush pad sound, which in the early 80s sounded like the future. :mrgreen: And the Arturia plugin certainly seems to have that, from what I've heard so far.

JoaquinAce
KVRist
456 posts since 8 Apr, 2018 from SC, USA

Post Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 am

I own V6 Collection and then I saw this came out with the upgrade to V7. Normally I would hold off to get the Synapse version, but after playing with the Arturia OB demo, I am sold. It has exactly the sound I am looking for. I was anyway waiting to get the CZ and the Synthi, so the package deal just became much more attractive. And I'll commit blasphemy...I actually like the sound of Arturia's synths. Even if some claim they are not close enough to the originals. I always find a good frequency spot for them in my productions.

Cinebient
KVRAF
4769 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 am

Ingonator wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 am
OBsession sounds like a real analog polysynth and Arturia OB-Xa V not. Case closed.
Nothing proved that so far.....

Lotuzia
KVRAF
10241 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 am

StringERs wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 am
OBsession sounds like a real analog polysynth and Arturia OB-Xa V not. Case closed.
I w...................

Someone ban this Ingonator already. It's not even a real person, it's obvious. It's Richard Hoffman's KVR advertising bot.
Ingo is as real as one can be, and I've met him in many beta testing teams different from Synapse (Like Waldorf, Xils-Lab, Tone 2 etc). Just saying.
Last edited by Lotuzia on Thu May 21, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

revvy
KVRian
1003 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:40 am

Why do y'all quote that shit so it lives on after the poster and the comment get deleted?

Nasty shit right there.
no sig

vurt
addled muppet weed
65158 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:40 am

Lotuzia wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 am
StringERs wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 am
Ingo is as real as one can be, and I've met him in many beta testing teams different from Synapse (Like Waldorf, Xils-Lab, Tone 2 etc). Just saying.
while that post is vulgar, it does raise a good point about ingos posts. he should stay in the other thread
it may be his own opinion, but whether he likes it or not,it does reflect on synapse, and makes them look needy imo (which i dont believe they are, just saying appearances n such...)

until there is demo sounds, or an available demo, his words are meaningless.

revvy
KVRian

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:43 am

edit
no sig

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:48 am

revvy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:43 am
it's just f**king nasty man, why try and pull the f**king positives out of it? Of course some of it can stick, it's a tactic to make the smear somehow seem reasonable.
well because hopefully ingo will reign it in, then there will be no more smears to be worrying about?

vurt
addled muppet weed

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am

its the same as i said to markus,talk about your own company, in your own company threads.
it looks bad talking down competition.

sadly, its richs pocket not ingos that gets hurt.

revvy
KVRian

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:53 am

victim blaming re. ingo
no sig

Cinebient
KVRAF
4769 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 am

OB stands for obsessive bullshit threads.
Ah, its all just the internet and its all not so serious. At least not for me.
But its about the Arturia OB and i think we all can demo the other one soon enough and then judge.
We all are also might be biased in some ways. F.e. i like the general sound of the OB-Xa here (and also in other OBX-whatever emulations so far) but i think i have a dozen plug-in which i find has much more growl and meat to offer. Maybe i have to dive in deeper and maybe the other one proves me wrong if i can play with it but so far i find it a bit more on the digital side sounding or i find my stock DAW synths sound as good already. It might be more about certain performance. Not sure but if i think about fat, organic, analog sounds i do not hear it yet. I hear and feel it in 3-4 other synths but i think i´m also biased here.
That said, it is a nice plug-in with some great add on features. This is more important to me personally since i´m not searching for the most accurate emulations (i cannot judge anyway since i do not own the original) but like to see modern features and FX on top. Of course these old synths sounds great and so but in all those videos and demos i cannot hear anything special about the old analog synth until someone add FX to it. I even say that some software synths sounds better than any hardware synth :)

Return to “Instruments”