Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Pick Two - One From Option 1 And One From Option 2

Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy.
15%
Option 1 Choice 2 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did not affect my decision of which synth to buy.
19%
Option 2 Choice 1 - My choice will be the synth that sounds the best.
22%
Option 2 Choice 2 - My choice will be the synth that is the cheapest.
6%
Option 2 Choice 3 - My choice will be Arturia regardless of any criteria.
7%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Obsession regardless of any criteria.
6%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Arturia and Obsession regardless of any criteria.
11%
Option 2 Choice 5 - I have no interest in this synth and will not buy either one.
15%

Total votes: 88

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
634 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Fri May 22, 2020 3:29 am

ENV1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 am
BONES wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 pm
This poll needs an option that says "only a complete idiot would make a decision without having had the chance to try them both out first". That's the option I'd vote for.
Thats putting it bluntly, but ultimately true because in the end (unless youre simply collecting) there are only 2 things that really matter:

- Which of the 2 is more accurate/true to the original synth
- Can or can i not do the same with something i already have

If the answer to the second question is no, and only a dedicated OB-Xa emulation will do, then the answer lies in question 1.

Seems pretty obvious to me, so thats how i would approach this if i wasnt sure what to do.
To be fair at this point most are probably just collecting plugins. Given the number of analog emulation plugins that are already out there, I can't imagine any type of OB-Xa-style sound that would be impossible to create using a combination of synth plugin like Diva, Repro, OP-X Pro II, Arturia SEM, Oberhausen, PolyKB and countless others. I don't think there's any USP to the OB-Xa as such, it's just a slightly different flavor of analog synth.

ENV1
KVRAF
2667 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 am

Youll get no argument from me.

With all this stuff we have available today a synth has to have some pretty darn special properties for it NOT to be replacable by one or even multiple alternatives. Thats exactly why i brought question 2 into the equation, because if you can already do the same with something youve already got, what good would another plugin do you with regard to sounds?

Not that i have anything against collectors, im just speaking from a purely pragmatic point of view here.

wagtunes
KVRAF
19152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 am

So that distinctive sound I hear in Oberheim synths, that's all in my head?

TheMaestro
KVRist
327 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:09 am

ENV1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 am
BONES wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:09 pm
This poll needs an option that says "only a complete idiot would make a decision without having had the chance to try them both out first". That's the option I'd vote for.
Thats putting it bluntly, but ultimately true because in the end (unless youre simply collecting) there are only 2 things that really matter:

- Which of the 2 is more accurate/true to the original synth
- Can or can i not do the same with something i already have

If the answer to the second question is no, and only a dedicated OB-Xa emulation will do, then the answer lies in question 1.

Seems pretty obvious to me, so thats how i would approach this if i wasnt sure what to do.
Who does this really matter to?
Most people buying one of these, including me, couldn’t give a rats ass about how close to the original it is.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

TheMaestro
KVRist

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 am
Probably. I bet you couldn’t pick an Oberheim, hardware or software, out of a handful of comparable synths.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 am

TheMaestro wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:13 am
wagtunes wrote:
Probably. I bet you couldn’t pick an Oberheim, hardware or software, out of a handful of comparable synths.
Well I'm really glad to know that you know what I heat better than I do. It must be really amazing to be able to get inside my head. To have such mystical powers.

TheMaestro
KVRist

Post Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 am
TheMaestro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Well I'm really glad to know that you know what I heat better than I do. It must be really amazing to be able to get inside my head. To have such mystical powers.
It’s not just you, so don’t be so suicidal. But you made that claim.

recursive one
KVRAF
4809 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 am

wagtunes wrote:
I think people who are deeply familiar with this or that hardware synth have a specific image of its sound in their heads, and for them no emulation will ever be good enough.

You probably know what it that hardware synth in my case, however for real life tasks (writing tracks), almost any sound from that synth can be emualted or approximated in software and the missing 5-10% accuracy don't appear to matter really that much.

I was browsing various real OB-Xa demos lately and while it's definitely a very good sounding synth I don't think I heard any sound I'd badly want but couldn't get in a passable form from what I already have.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 am

recursive one wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:01 am
wagtunes wrote:
I think people who are deeply familiar with this or that hardware synth have a specific image of its sound in their heads, and for them no emulation will ever be good enough.

You probably know what it that hardware synth in my case, however for real life tasks (writing tracks), almost any sound from that synth can be emualted or approximated in software and the missing 5-10% accuracy don't appear to matter really that much.

I was browsing various real OB-Xa demos lately and while it's definitely a very good sounding synth I don't think I heard any sound I'd badly want but couldn't get in a passable form from what I already have.
Passable form? Sure. And after you EQ everything to death to get it to sit in the mix, you pretty much can't tell one synth from another. But that pure sound, just playing presets, that's something else. Having owned 2 Oberheims in my day, I can tell.

But it's all moot, meaningless, irrelevant, pointless, and most of all, nobody really cares anyway.

Ultimately, I may only get OB-Xa V because it's going to be part of V8 (I'm still on 6) and will get a whole lot of new stuff for very little money.

As for Obsession, depends on when it comes out and how much it costs.

And who knows? I may end up getting neither of them because in the grand scheme of things, I don't need anymore synths.

urosh
KVRist
267 posts since 4 Oct, 2002

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:23 am

wagtunes wrote:
Nope

Reefius
KVRian
977 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:50 am

This thread seems to go in the same direction as many other threads started by wags... He starts an argument, and when he can't win that argument, he's gonna say how much he hates this place and that he will never post again in the Instruments forum, then lock the thread.

This poll is pretty pointless as long as Obsession is not released. Nobody (except for a few beta testers) can actually compare both synths.

I presonally don't care which synth is closest to the original. I tried the demo of the Arturia OB-Xa V and liked it, so I bought it.

Ingonator
KVRAF
12210 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 am

TheMaestro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
The SVF 12dB LPF of the OB-Xa is for sure different from it's own 24dB LPF (at least this seems to be the case in the real thing and in OBsession) and also different to e.g. a Prophet 5 Rev3 24dB LPF even if all 3 are using the same CEM 3320 chip.

The filter of an OB-X is different as it uses a discrete SEM based 12dB LPF circuit and the OB-8 uses one filter chip for both modes while the OB-Xa has independent circuits and chips for the 12dB and 24dB filter.
Beta tester & sound designer
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

TheMaestro
KVRist

Post Fri May 22, 2020 6:02 am

Ingonator wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 am
TheMaestro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
The SVF 12dB LPF of the OB-Xa is for sure different from it's own 24dB LPF (at least this seems to be the case in the real thing and in OBsession) and also different to e.g. a Prophet 5 Rev3 24dB LPF even if all 3 are using the same CEM 3320 chip.

The filter of an OB-X is different as it uses a discrete SEM based 12dB LPF circuit and the OB-8 uses one filter chip for both modes while the OB-Xa has independent circuits and chips for the 12dB and 24dB filter.
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, or you think these differences will make you hear something, but I meant a listening test.

Ingonator
KVRAF
12210 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 am

TheMaestro wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:02 am
Ingonator wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 am
TheMaestro wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, or you think these differences will make you hear something, but I meant a listening test.
The OB-Xa 12dB LPF will keep all the low end even at full resonance which is not the case with the 24dB LPF (OBsession has that filter behavior too) and also not with the 24dB LPF in the Prophet 5 Rev3 (and FWIW also not in the Minimoog).

Of course there must be some low end in the synth or plugin to hear a difference...

The OB-X has a SVF 12dB LPF like the 12dB filter in OB-Xa but they are based on a different design/circuit and should have a different resonance behavior.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri May 22, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta tester & sound designer
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

urosh
KVRist
267 posts since 4 Oct, 2002

Post Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 am

TheMaestro wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:02 am
In blind listening test I've easily picked Matrix 1000 vs. Diva. And I can prove it if you are willing to go with your bet.

That being said, such tests are dumbest thing on the planet. Only thing I care about is how synth sounds and works when I use it. I'm quite sure that sophisticated enough additive synth could make near perfect recreations of any synth, but that will not make me dump other stuff and go with such hypothetical additive chameleon.

Return to “Instruments”