Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Pick Two - One From Option 1 And One From Option 2

Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy.
13
15%
Option 1 Choice 2 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did not affect my decision of which synth to buy.
17
19%
Option 2 Choice 1 - My choice will be the synth that sounds the best.
19
22%
Option 2 Choice 2 - My choice will be the synth that is the cheapest.
5
6%
Option 2 Choice 3 - My choice will be Arturia regardless of any criteria.
6
7%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Obsession regardless of any criteria.
5
6%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Arturia and Obsession regardless of any criteria.
10
11%
Option 2 Choice 5 - I have no interest in this synth and will not buy either one.
13
15%
 
Total votes: 88

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:24 am
wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 am
It was designed to show just one thing. That having to now compete with Arturia, that sales will be lost. And clearly it shows that sales will be lost.
Actually it doesn't show this at all. Both of the categories that indicate someone will not buy Obsession and will buy Arturia, indicate only that. It does not give a reason. Anyone who would never have bought Obsession, but may enjoy Arturia products (especially ones that already own the v collection), could have still fallen in these categories, and probably do. So unfortunately the poll tells us exactly nothing. In order to claim what you are trying to claim, you would need to know that someone would have bought Obsession in the absence of the Arturia version, but because the Arturia one was released first, has decided to only buy the Arturia version. Even if there was a category for that, it still wouldn't guarantee that one of those people wouldn't change their mind and buy Obsession also once they demo it, although at least you could forecast based on people's currently opinion of the situation.

The reason people are giving you crap for this and saying you are bullying etc. (though I think that's a bit far), is that you wanted to prove this point and made an ambiguous poll that it biased in this direction.
Perhaps you'd like to join the firing squad too?

Can I absolutely PROVE that if no Arturia version was released people who bought it would have bought Obsession instead? No, of course not. But pure logic, reason, and simple statistics almost dictates that there will be a percentage of people who were waiting for a "good" OB-Xa clone and would have bought whatever was available first.

You cannot absolutely categorically deny that. I myself am one of those people. If Obsession isn't out before the 9th and I really want the OB, I will buy Arturia's and therefor will have absolutely no use for Obsession.

I'm the only one on this planet who feels that way? Several people in this thread, even if the poll is flawed, have expressed the same sentiments.

Arturia coming out with an OB clone right now cannot in any way help Synapse Audio's cause. I'm sure Richard, given the choice, would have preferred Arturia NOT come out with this synth just before he's ready to release his. Nobody in their right mind would be jumping with joy over this right now.

AnX
KVRAF
7062 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:35 am

vurt wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:21 am
wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am
Niowiad wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 am
How many people have been recruited into the firing squad so far? :lol: :hug:
Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.
seems a little harsh for a flawed poll.
im gonna commute the sentence to life imprisonment. :)
waste of taxpayers money :x

AnX
KVRAF
7062 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am

Can I absolutely PROVE that if no Arturia version was released people who bought it would have bought Obsession instead? No, of course not.
/end thread


:phew:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19152 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:38 am

AnX wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 am
wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am

Can I absolutely PROVE that if no Arturia version was released people who bought it would have bought Obsession instead? No, of course not.
/end thread


:phew:
You know what? How about go and play in your own thread somewhere. I'll end this thread when I feel like it and it won't be because YOU want me to. So there.

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
456 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:52 am

Ghe I think the OP has a point.. no not that point... I mean if all VSTi farmers come up with an Obie emu, then the flush gets thin.
That said A and B comparisons are rather tricky; I closed my eyes and some sounds did not sound really different, some sounds where the lows and grit of the OB were no match and there was one patch where the VSTi sounded rather cheap.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8128 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am
Perhaps you'd like to join the firing squad too?
Not my intention. Just trying to clarify the logical problems here.
Can I absolutely PROVE that if no Arturia version was released people who bought it would have bought Obsession instead? No, of course not. But pure logic, reason, and simple statistics almost dictates that there will be a percentage of people who were waiting for a "good" OB-Xa clone and would have bought whatever was available first.

You cannot absolutely categorically deny that.
Sure, but whether that percentage is significant is a claim that would need evidence beyond a guess. And it is the claim that would require evidence, not the denial of it. It does not require evidence to say that a claim is unfounded, merely pointing out the lack of evidence. If you claim there is a bigfoot roaming your neighborhood, I don't need to provide evidence (nor can I) that it isn't there in order to be skeptical of the claim. It is the default in the absence of proof.
I myself am one of those people. If Obsession isn't out before the 9th and I really want the OB, I will buy Arturia's and therefor will have absolutely no use for Obsession.
I'm the only one on this planet who feels that way? Several people in this thread, even if the poll is flawed, have expressed the same sentiments.
But you see this is the problem. You are extrapolating your risk strategy to others. There may indeed be a few others that feel this way. Unfortunately it's not represented in the poll, which was my only point.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65158 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 am

new jersey, more likely to be a dogman than a bigfoot these days.

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
456 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 am

PS I answered the A and B comparison in the wrong thread, but who cares :)

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
327 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:15 am

urosh wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:23 am
TheMaestro wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:02 am
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, or you think these differences will make you hear something, but I meant a listening test.
In blind listening test I've easily picked Matrix 1000 vs. Diva. And I can prove it if you are willing to go with your bet.

That being said, such tests are dumbest thing on the planet. Only thing I care about is how synth sounds and works when I use it. I'm quite sure that sophisticated enough additive synth could make near perfect recreations of any synth, but that will not make me dump other stuff and go with such hypothetical additive chameleon.
Not sure how this is relevant.
Last edited by TheMaestro on Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
327 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am

urosh wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:32 am
No, but it was not meant as OB8 recreation either, and yet people bring that test up all the time.
Because it was an analog hardware vs software test.
Not a specific hardware synth vs it’s software counterpart test.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

User avatar
TheMaestro
KVRist
327 posts since 26 Jan, 2020

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am

vurt wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:21 am
wagtunes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am
Niowiad wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 am
How many people have been recruited into the firing squad so far? :lol: :hug:
Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.
seems a little harsh for a flawed poll.
im gonna commute the sentence to life imprisonment. :)
Go easy on the guy. He’s suffering enough by having Internet access.
If the Earth was flat, cats would have pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

User avatar
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
9023 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:38 am

wagtunes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:39 am
I'm convinced Synapse Audio will lose money if they don't release Obsession before Arturia's sale ends.
Do you care about all the other devs both soft and hardware that compete against each other with clones?

Of course whoever provides a unique product will get all the cash, theres no other option.
And of course if there are more than one of something there will be competition.
Youre a bit old to be discovering how supply and demand works.

vitocorleone123
KVRian
537 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am

If you like the Arturia one then just get it. No harm done. Nothing would stop you from getting another plugin later. Several OB sounding plugins are out there, yet Arturia decided to do another. Behringer Is making a hardware version - what a waste when there’s going to be at least 2 software synths of the same thing, right? Leaving that brand aside and the fact I wouldn’t spend my money on a space-sucking hardware version if the software is within 15% or so quality, I’m just listing it because there’s clearly room in the market for more than one solution to the need for Oberheim. Every one of them will sound different and may bring different things to the table.

goldenanalog
KVRAF
1969 posts since 7 Dec, 2005 from somewhere between analog and digital

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 am

Bought the V (no brainer in my mind) - imho it sounds great and has some interesting tools under the hood. I’m also planning on buying the Synapse as well, although probably will wait until it’s on sale. But honestly: I don’t consider either as capable of sonically being exact copies of the Xa - although I expect that Richards will be capable of sounding pretty darn close.

Why both? Why not? The more you play around with something like the V, the more you get to know it’s personality - which almost assuredly will be different then OBsession. There’s something very cool about Arturia/Synapse/Brainworx etc. starting with the mandate of producing a focused emulation of an Ubersynth like the Obie Xa, and then running their version in it’s own direction - by the time that they release it; it will still likely retain the characteristics of the original mandate, but it will be so stylized that it will be more about Arturia and Synapse (in this case) then about the Xa

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
65158 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 am

you changed the poll!

Return to “Instruments”