Multi-timbral synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

clipnotic wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 am in my DAW and probably in others is a "layer feature", with that I can layer as much VSTs I want and play them together with splits and so on.
Load an instance of a synth, select a patch, load another instance of the synth and select a patch, load another instance of the synth and load a patch, load another instance of the synth and select a patch or......

Load a single instance of the synth with the layers baked in ?

For me I like complex sounds since I got bored with simple synths long ago so layering is one of my favorite things. I used to accomplish it by triggering several hardware synths at the same time through midi but on the same channel.

Now I can do it within a single synth. :hyper:

I'll still layer synths in my DAW but I much more often layer different synths rather than the same one, layer two or more complex patches and revel in the glorious sounds..... :party:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I believe the Korg Triton is multi-timbral

I have Falcon2 , Halion 6 and Kontakt so my multitimbrality needs actually are fulfilled. With the exception of omnisphere2, omnisphere2 is the next thing on my wishlist so i can maybe sell some plugs. Someone maybe there who knows Hypersonic2 ?! That was my workhorse for a long time , it has a nice feature to quickly layer the next patch with one mouse click having an arrow pointing to the upper patch.

Having multicore and lots of ram , i think the multitimbrality is dying. Way back in 2005 where you had 4 GB of ram and a quadcore that hits the 99% usage pretty fast, you were more attentive to use a multitimbral plugin . Nowadays it is rather decadent :hihi: how many plugs you can use with modern systems. I can load 30 instances of padshop2 with a usage of 30% in my ryzen processor, no problem .

Looking for a hardware synth with multitimbrality there are still some of them , Waldorf of course with his blofeld and kyra, Yamaha has its moddx6/7/8 , Nordlead and there is Access Virus Ti synths, Korg prologue is bi-timbral , Korg Kronos (very nice!) and Roland JD-XA/-XI (must be 4-times) and rather new is Roland Fantom with its Zenology system.

Return to “Instruments”