Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One can always complain about what's missing or one can appreciate what's available...
If you want the spectral oscillator in conjunction with LFOs and other modulators, use Padshop.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:44 am use Padshop.
Obviously, it's other workflow, not so suitable for taking pleasure from single-shot's sculpting, and more so without deconstructing.

Not having LFOs and MSEGs and such doesn't ruin the instrument for me (it would be nice to have them, of course). I can use Max for Live modulators. As it is, Backbone is pretty damn cool. I already have other synths that do resynthesis, but this one seems to have a nice combination of control over the sample and layering.

One can ponder what Steinberg could do if they decided to merge some of their technologies even moreso in Halion: Spectral Layers/Wavelab, Padshop, Backbone . . . I'm not sure what it would look like or if it's feasible, but I've imagined an updated Iris-like VST that would allow one to isolate areas of multiple spectral images (frequency and time), potentially apply granular synthesis to them and all sorts of other effects, and have a variety of morphing algorithms to blend it all into something new. Maybe I'll get Metasynth when it comes out for Windows. But I'm having a lot of fun with Backbone, with more to discover about it.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Hmm....damn. Today tried better. Ok will see.
BTW found issue it seems - unable to automate "Max Freq" fader (location Resynth\Filter\). While all other control here (like opposite "Low Cut" fader, etc) can be automated fine.

Another thing that perplexed a bit, that Decomposing forcibly creates additional wav files in the directory when using user samples, which can create a rather irreversible mess, especially in case of large folder structure of user collection. Plus space consumption resp.
Can't this be happening in RAM only? Maybe there is some settings.
And, what occurs if we Decompose samples from factory collection ? I not see that in this case could creates some external wav's.

Edit: Ok found that it can be saved in separate folder, that better. But, still wondering what occurs in case of factory (container's) wav's.

Hmm, maybe they merge the tech with another plugin they sell. But what?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Maybe something that takes it further by adding pads for multiple drum samples to be triggered as a kit
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

c_voltage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:49 pm Backbone already legacy lol https://www.kvraudio.com/product/backbone-by-steinberg
Only In the KVR store mate :dog:
You may want to get your facts straight…
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instrumen ... WkEALw_wcB

Yeah that would be crazy from Steinberg, Backbone was released in May 2020.

So it basically means that you can't buy it through KVR anymore? Or what exactly is a KVR legacy product?

Sorry guys actually I'm sure this is just some typo from kvr webmaster. (Just it seemed fun)

Does anybody know if Steinberg answers to support requests?
I liked all the videos. I was impressed by what it can do... The Backbone page says that it is Monterey compatible and that it runs using Rosetta 2. Ok. They are porting Cubase to M1, Backbone is rather new so one day it eventually will get the same treatment, so I bought it..
It doesn't work with Logic. Works in Renoise, works in Reason but apparently it just doesn't like Logic. I wanted to create drumsets using several instances in Drum Machine Designer, something I can't do in Renoise and don't want to do in Reason.
The problem is known, because it gets mentioned several times in their own support forums. The staff just blames Apple and gives instructions which might or might not work.

Now I'm asking for a refund because it's not working as advertised. 15 days passed but no response. A week ago I added to the support ticket, but still nothing.

What to do?
void main(dumb)

Since it works with others, it does appear to be an Apple issue. i.e. Logic doesn't like it. And once Steinberg support feels they answered you, they tend to not belabor the point. What does Apple support tell you?

BBFG# wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:50 pmSince it works with others, it does appear to be an Apple issue. i.e. Logic doesn't like it.
My point is, that it is known to Steinberg that it doesn't work with Logic. Had there been an info about that in the compatibility section, I wouldn't have bought it.
And once Steinberg support feels they answered you, they tend to not belabor the point.
They haven't answered me at all. My support ticket is untouched. That's the information I gathered myself from their support forum after looking for a way to make that thing load in Logic but it still doesn't.
void main(dumb)

As you said, "they (Steinberg) blames Apple" in the forums you've read. Therefore, they answered, albeit, not the answer you wanted to hear. So by deductive reasoning, since it works with the other programs but not Logic, the problem is for Logic to correct. Steinberg can refund by their discretion, but in no way are legally bound to do so. Which means your next step is to contact Logic support.
Have you done that?

Return to “Instruments”