inSIDious - the definitive SID chip plugin has arrived! Available now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The 2nd video with the free version sounds much better to my ears. I don't like what i hear in the 1st video. Terribly inaccurate and all in all sounds like a bad emulation of the SID.

As ED pointed out: Nobody's forcing anyone to buy.. ..but where ED hear the progression in accuracy in the newer version is his own secret i guess. :)
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I have to say that the free version sounds more like I expect coming out of a sid chip. I am not trying to be negative. I may be remembering wrong or maybe I am used to the mame arcade emulations as it has been years since I played the real deal. If I am wrong, someone set me straight.

Well, sound designers have pushed things into areas you wouldn't expect the SID to be. And the above statement about accuracy is not mine but Mike Clarke's own. If he feels he did a way more accurate job than the free ensemble, well then...

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:49 pm Well, sound designers have pushed things into areas you wouldn't expect the SID to be. And the above statement about accuracy is not mine but Mike Clarke's own. If he feels he did a way more accurate job than the free ensemble, well then...
I appreciate your take and general support of the developer but what do your ears tell you? I'd like your opinion on that. If the new version is closer to the real deal then I think I have corrupted my hearing based on the mame emulators which is entirely possible.

Why not just listen to the original, straight from hardware? The main theme starts around 5:10.
https://youtu.be/w5LqD8tQhBc?t=309

Neither of the emulations sound exactly like it, but to me it sounds like the differences are mostly in mixing and volume envelopes, and tweaking those would already help a lot.

Wow, in three pages I think I just watched a guy launch his product in a pretty mellow and un-hypey manner, then get attacked for it not being free, for it not being cross-developed for a preferred platform, as well as unfavorable, sight-unheard comparisons to freeware and software that has yet to be released.

It’s amazing that small developers persist in releasing anything, knowing that they’re going to run a gauntlet of hate here, in what should be their most receptive market.

Thanks Captain for posting ... the theme starts at about 5:10 in the video you posted.

Still listening... challenging my perceptions and auditory memory which is notoriously fallible.

No two 6581 chips sound exactly the same. You'll never get two recordings on different 6581 chips that are identical. The filters can be wildly different, but even without using the filter there are other bugs in the hardware to contribute to subtle differences.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

billybuck wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 pm
It’s amazing that small developers persist in releasing anything, knowing that they’re going to run a gauntlet of hate here, in what should be their most receptive market.
We are also getting clarity and important background. That is what the discussions are for. For my part there is no hate if you are directing that at me... I am just trying to figure out why the video he posted doesn't sound like I expected it sound. I am open to the fact that it could be me and have openly acknowledged that point.

I have listened a few times and yes the new version does sound more accurate to the source video overall. The new emulation has more top end brightness than I remember which was throwing me off but in general yes the arpeggios and the lo-fi crunch sounds truer than the free version to my ears. I think those mame emulators did impact my perception.

imo there is no comparison between the two videos ... in the old version ring mod and hard sync are almost inaudible and the arpeggios are quite flat ... the new version sounds much brighter and more defined to my ears ... very very beautiful !!!

Guitar&synth wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:49 pm imo there is no comparison between the two videos ... in the old version ring mod and hard sync are almost inaudible and the arpeggios are quite flat ... the new version sounds much brighter and more defined to my ears ... very very beautiful !!!
It is easy to forget that when I was listening to the real hardware it was through a cheesy mono speaker in a Commodore monitor or TV with no bottom end and severe top end roll-off. I am in my studio listening to A7x (night and day). Might be cool to run this through an impulse of a small speaker cabinet... I bet it would bring the nostalgia back instantly.

Scotty wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Guitar&synth wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:49 pm imo there is no comparison between the two videos ... in the old version ring mod and hard sync are almost inaudible and the arpeggios are quite flat ... the new version sounds much brighter and more defined to my ears ... very very beautiful !!!
It is easy to forget that when I was listening to the real hardware it was through a cheesy mono speaker in a Commodore monitor or TV with no bottom end and severe top end roll-off. I am in my studio listening to A7x (night and day). Might be cool to run this through an impulse of a small speaker cabinet... I bet it would bring the nostalgia back instantly.

true, but the sid has a well defined character ... and it is recognizable, whatever sound source is used to make it sound ... I agree when it is said the old video have a very retro sound, very 80s chip , but it does not have the imprint of the sid ... Already the fact of the ring mod and the hard sinc are inaudible make it not sid ... I have studied the sid for years and I can say that the old video is a good emulation of an 80's chip while this new version is sid :) all this, obviously, imo

billybuck wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:11 pm Wow, in three pages I think I just watched a guy launch his product in a pretty mellow and un-hypey manner, then get attacked for it not being free, for it not being cross-developed for a preferred platform, as well as unfavorable, sight-unheard comparisons to freeware and software that has yet to be released.

Ahh comon.. if you think this thread is full of haters you'll better off the internet. People just said what they think and at least show some interest in the product. I'm fed up with people who alwayas see haters, haters and mre haters just because the statement of others aren't to their own liking.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Guitar&synth wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Scotty wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:06 pm

true, but the sid has a well defined character ... and it is recognizable, whatever sound source is used to make it sound ... I agree when it is said the old video have a very retro sound, very 80s chip , but it does not have the imprint of the sid ... Already the fact of the ring mod and the hard sinc are inaudible make it not sid ... I have studied the sid for years and I can say that the old video is a good emulation of an 80's chip while this new version is sid :) all this, obviously, imo
thx a lot for the feedback, i am no pro but i really love quadraSID still, the programming is a pain though... how accurate would you say is the quadraSID and do you know any VST which comes to SID the closest so far? thx i just love the SID sounds!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”