One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 am Are there some basic presets available, too?
You can find some over in the other thread regarding the beta. I could upload the current batch that I've collected if this is desired?

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:04 am You can find some over in the other thread regarding the beta. I could upload the current batch that I've collected if this is desired?
Oh yes, please!

Here's the current batch of presets.

I ask you to not redistribute them in any way.

I didn't sort the weaker ones out yet, I didn't adjust levels, didn't rename them, etc.
You might find some boring ones in there, but there are a lot of good ones as well

I categorized them roughly, but I probably miscategorized half of them :D

Have fun!

Thanks, where to put the folder on macos? ~/lib/app support/odin2 or so?

How do you all have environments that support vst3 and what am I doing wrong not to go there, too?! :lol:
As of now, my favorite DAW MuLab doesn't support it... tried wrapping in Element, but still have to wrap my head around it.

However, it looks very cool and promising, Odin2! I still have the first one, too...which was still vst2. Where have the good old days gone...:bang:

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 am Thanks, where to put the folder on macos? ~/lib/app support/odin2 or so?
Where you want to, really. You still have to manually open the folders with the "load" button on top.

This will all change with the next update, which implements a proper patchbrowser into the synth :)

Taron wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 am How do you all have environments that support vst3 and what am I doing wrong not to go there, too?! :lol:
I have had to revert to cubase for this one :( (I much prefer mulab!)
You could try a free DAW like Waveform Free (PITA to learn new one though)
Would be a shame to miss such a good synth as this one!

Taron wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:26 am However, it looks very cool and promising, Odin2! I still have the first one, too...which was still vst2. Where have the good old days gone...:bang:
Yes, this is presesnted to you by: Steinberg

They own the VST API and made it clear a few years back that VST2 will no longer be licenced come 2019. However, since VST2 is already a very capable format, some of the DAWs didn't bother to upgrade to VST3. New developers have no chance of getting a licence to distribute VST2, Steinberg prohibits it.

So the developers have the choice:
- Break the licence
- Leave out a significant portion of the users (this is especially bad for freeware. Freeware users usually don't have the most recent, shiny software)

I hope the VST-host field recognizes the problem and adapts fast, to leave this problem behind, I see no other solution.

Anyway, I hope you get it up and running! :tu:

Thanks so much, really. This is the sort of thing where I'm totally voting for a bit of anarchy, simply because it's so left-field to make it feel "prohibitive" to compile for perfectly well working API/SDK or whatever. I, however, don't understand why this would prevent free plugins from being distributed in the old format, that somehow cracks my noodle. Just out of curiosity, would that create a legal conflict?
I would, though, perfectly understand if the extra effort would make it annoying and reason enough for me, too. :shrug: :tu:

It's a real shame with this one, because it does sound beautiful and feels like it would be awesome! I played with it, using the stand alone KV-Elements. Instant joy!

My best wishes to all of you! :hug:

Taron wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:06 am Just out of curiosity, would that create a legal conflict?
Yes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steinberg went out of their way to take down several open source projects, which included the VST2 SDK via takedown notice.

Anyway, lets talk OSC again :)

TheWaveWarden wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 am Thanks, where to put the folder on macos? ~/lib/app support/odin2 or so?
Where you want to, really. You still have to manually open the folders with the "load" button on top.

This will all change with the next update, which implements a proper patchbrowser into the synth :)
I think the usual paths on macos are: /Library/Audio/Presets/Vendor/Plugin and ~/Library/Audio/Presets/Vendor/Plugin

Like so:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-03 um 13.25.38.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uh, hmm...weird...just got KV-Elements to work perfectly in MuLab. :hyper:
...maybe I'll find a moment to do a track. I really wouldn't want to miss this thing. I will FIGHT to give it a try! 8)

"Pah!!!"- to Steinberg, pffff. :p

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:55 am Are there some basic presets available, too?
No, there weren't any presets IIRC.

edit: Damn, didn't see it was already answered.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a small cash bonus of $30.
What does it mean? Is it about having in a track only one instance of the plugin? If so, how should it look like? There will be available only one sound or what?

vitalker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 am
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a small cash bonus of $30.
What does it mean? Is it about having in a track only one instance of the plugin? If so, how should it look like? There will be available only one sound or what?
Yes, just one instance of the plugin. You would be free to do whatever you wanted with that instance, like automate the parameters to make different sounds, etc...

Return to “Instruments”