One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe, Zarf is the current hero of that discipline, having made one of my favorite tracks+presentation (youtube) with just one single instance. Outstanding thing that was, outstanding journey it took us on, too. :hail: :tu:
Might be a fun challenge...

z.prime wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 am Yes, just one instance of the plugin. You would be free to do whatever you wanted with that instance, like automate the parameters to make different sounds, etc...
Thanks! Sounds like an interesting challenge! So how you would check, whether it is created with one instance only?
Last edited by vitalker on Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:23 am I believe, Zarf is the current hero of that discipline, having made one of my favorite tracks+presentation (youtube) with just one single instance. Outstanding thing that was, outstanding journey it took us on, too. :hail: :tu:
Sorry to say but Guenon is by far the most amazeballs composer doing things that explode my head. Not to take anything from anyone, but for goodness sake, to make this with just a single instance is just beyond my comprehension: https://youtu.be/0HlhQWRuy8g

SHi......YES, dang it, I'm so so sorry, I did mean Guenon, OF COURSE! I'm just a fan of both and they have similar off-the-wall flavors every now and then. THANK YOU for correcting me! :tu: :oops:

:D I just saw this and was about to admit that I've never done a one instance entry, though it would be a fantastic challenge. Taron, thanks for the encouraging hallucination - maybe you are dreaming the future :hihi: Yes that track by Guenon was incredible :hail:

Hahaha, if anyone can challenge it, it's you! ;)

Cool little track that Z posted above :tu: . Intriguing indeed, the single instance. Would I be correct in assuming that the challenge would be 'single instance' only and not necessarily 'single instance' AND 'single patch' ? ( as some entries in OSC135 did ) ?

... and not to go too far on a tangent, but to me that Guenon track should have clearly and absolutely been winner that month. And yet... it placed 7th! Not even in the top 5!? Incomprehensible! It shows that voting is done in asinine ways for such a travesty to happen. Those of you who voted it less than a 5, shame on you; I hope the error of your ways haunts you for all eternity! I love the winning tracks, too, but there simply was no comparison.

Yup. I think this was the best OSC entry ever.
z.prime wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am
Taron wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:23 am I believe, Zarf is the current hero of that discipline, having made one of my favorite tracks+presentation (youtube) with just one single instance. Outstanding thing that was, outstanding journey it took us on, too. :hail: :tu:
Sorry to say but Guenon is by far the most amazeballs composer doing things that explode my head. Not to take anything from anyone, but for goodness sake, to make this with just a single instance is just beyond my comprehension: https://youtu.be/0HlhQWRuy8g

delete
Last edited by jasinski on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don't mind the buzzkill Osc'ers, but if I could just jump in here and ask the WaveWarden if these are linear EGs? I'm thinking yes as per the original ...and the sound.

Maybe you've already had this as an FR but to have so much depth in terms of sound generation, and a tonne of route-able filter options with which to hack into them, it would be great to combine this with some exponential (variable) curves on the ADSR Envelopes. I'm hopeful but I don't code, and it's quite possibly not a trivial change/addition so consider this a feature request for what is already an amazing body of work.

And yes, Guenon's track was a revelation :hyper:

H-man wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 am Don't mind the buzzkill Osc'ers, but if I could just jump in here and ask the WaveWarden if these are linear EGs? I'm thinking yes as per the original ...and the sound.
Attack is linear, decay and release are exponential.

I am considering adding another window for envelope curves, but after revisiting the matter on the drawing board I'm not too sure what can be done and especially not what is wanted by the users. (steeper curves vs. linear curves vs. negative-exponential - or something different?) I'd love to hear your input in the beta thread. :tu:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:04 am Attack is linear, decay and release are exponential.

I am considering adding another window for envelope curves, but after revisiting the matter on the drawing board I'm not too sure what can be done and especially not what is wanted by the users. (steeper curves vs. linear curves vs. negative-exponential - or something different?) I'd love to hear your input in the beta thread. :tu:
Ah thx for the clarification, OSC is always better when the Dev is around :tu:

I'm not sure what it is but there is something about the envelope modifier range combined with the ADSRs that gives the feeling of not being able to hit-the-spot on the percussive sounds.

Noise is always good for "hearing" a (closing, sweeping, openeing) filter, I'll do some tests and see you on the beta thread.

Try modifying envelope stages by the envelope itself (e.g. Amp Env -> Amp Env Decay), this should broaden their sonic possibilities. You can make them snappier for percussive sounds or slower, for example for longer decaying cymbals. And it's quite comfortable in Odin's mod matrix, where you can modulate two destinations by a single source.
Metal in my heart
Synths in my sound card

vitalker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am Thanks! Sounds like an interesting challenge! So how you would check, whether it is created with one instance only?
You'll be asked to send your project files if needed.
ELEX wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:21 pm Would I be correct in assuming that the challenge would be 'single instance' only and not necessarily 'single instance' AND 'single patch' ? ( as some entries in OSC135 did ) ?
Yes - I made a one patch track last month out of my own personal desires, but automation is always acceptable. Given that this challenge is about blowing people's minds regarding what one synth can do, you're probably going to need lots of automation to get a top 5 entry out of one instance.
Some of the best synths for this are the Full Bucket instruments with multiple components, like FB-3100 and Tricent because you can get overlapping sounds of different timbres.

That level of variety and depth was my initial goal last month, but I hit a creative dead end and really connected with the more minimal keyboard track I made more.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Return to “Instruments”