One Synth Challenge #136: Odin 2 by The Wave Warden (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are we allowed to use temporary free plugins like iZotope ozone 9?

As a dev in my primary job, plugin creator's participation in the discussion makes me super excited to create his favorite track!
Btw I'm wondering if creating wavetables with vocals is ok for this challenge...
Last edited by NikosKeyz on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@vitalker, sadly, I'm pretty sure this is not allowed. I got ozone 8 elements free a while back, but now it's not free anymore, and so it's been forbidden!

dB

NikosKeyz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:59 amI'm wondering if creating wavetables with vocals is ok for this challenge...
Using wavetables as essentially a method of sample playback is not allowed.

doctorbob wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:08 pm @vitalker, sadly, I'm pretty sure this is not allowed. I got ozone 8 elements free a while back, but now it's not free anymore, and so it's been forbidden!
I could see an argument for this either way. After the free offer period has expired, the product is certainly no longer "easily available freeware" under the rules. But while the offer is active, it could fall under that definition. But on what date? The date of submission? The submission deadline? The end of voting? I read that the Ozone 9 Elements offer is available until June 30, which would possibly have it expire just before the OSC deadline. I would probably not use it myself, but I'm enjoying what a juicy edge case it presents under this interpretation.

I'm also perfectly happy with the interpretation that free offers of normally commercial software simply don't qualify as "freeware" at all.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

FrogsInPants wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm"easily available freeware" ... But on what date?
Fairly certain that it would be acceptable as long as it is freely available at the end of submission time and the duration of voting, as one of the driving factors is the ability to reproduce a track if asked and this would require a plugin to be freely available during voting.

NikosKeyz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:59 am As a dev in my primary job, the participation of the creator's plugin in the discussion makes me super excited to create his favorite track!
Btw I'm wondering if creating wavetables with vocals is ok for this challenge...
Well, looking forward to you entry :wink:

How exactly do you plan to import vocal wavetables? Currently there is no wavetable import function. You could try to draw them: Photonic very faithfully recreated a cello patch by redrawing the waveforms from a cello sample in the WaveDraw Oscillator. I can hardly imagine that being illegal, but I'm not a judge.

z.prime wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:25 pm Fairly certain that it would be acceptable as long as it is freely available at the end of submission time and the duration of voting, as one of the driving factors is the ability to reproduce a track if asked and this would require a plugin to be freely available during voting.
Great, thanks for the answer! Now I understand what is the purpose. :D

empphryio wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:26 am
wireframewolves wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 pm Apologies for the abrasive track.
I think this sounds great. Yours last month was one of my favorites BTW. (My 8th 5 where the other 7 placed 1 to 7). Thanks for giving so much detail about this track.
Thanks so much! I'm blown away by how kind people are around here.

My first mix

could not make it the way I wanted to, because VSTi is buggy. After reloading project on some midi tracks there was no sound any more, I had this issue during tracking, too.

https://soundcloud.com/user-216327424/n ... eggiate-me

All instruments from Odin2 Vsti for KVRaudio One Synth Challenge #136. DAW: Reaper V6.12. Additional Plugins: REAComp, ReaEq, ReaVerb once on clap only, free TDR Nova, free MComp (Melda), free LoudMax and 12 instances of Odin 2 (The Wave Warden).

You should also check your mix on your smartphone haha
Well, have to get rid of some harshness, also a slightly different arrangement
and I got to make some kick drum with this synth. 2,5 hours only was maybe a little too fast and
have to get used to the limitation of plugins :-)

Naji (I could not register with my name!)
Last edited by Najimad on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wireframewolves wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:17 pm My submission for this comp:

https://soundcloud.com/wireframewolves/seidr

Mostly wanted to see what kind of sound design I could achieve with this (possibly at the expense of melody and harmony and general pleasantness). Apologies for the abrasive track.

Nice experimental sounds. but waaaaaaaaaaaay too loud, I think I need new speakers haha

Welcome Naji! Good to have you on board. :tu: :tu:

Remember that voting will open on the 1st of next month and can be accessed via Page 1 of this thread. You will need to register (yes, I know, yet another thing to set up for the OSC!!), but is a one time thing. Voting lasts for 16 days and you must vote for all submissions to be eligible for a prize! It's a drag and drop system whereby you put tracks into bins 1-5, 5 being your favourites - your own track goes into bin 1!!! If you find time, it's also good to drop a comment or two on the Soundcloud timeline of the other submissions - others will do the same for you, and can be helpful and sometimes even "enlightening"!!

Good luck :phones:

dB

I have already registered, otherwise could not have posted here

Najimad wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:53 pm I have already registered, otherwise could not have posted here
Hi Najimad,

First, welcome to OSC!

Good you were able to submit this month. I left some comments, I hope they are helpful. Your Bach inspired creation using the Tricent was interesting, sorry you missed entering in time...

As Doctorbob mentioned, the voting registration is separate from registering to post here, but it just takes a minute. I couldn't find the voting link, but once voting is opened, a link will be posted here.

Cheers!
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

@Naji, sorry, wasn't clear enough I guess. The voting is another reg, and the link will be on Page 1 once voting starts. Check the Title of the Thread as this changes to "Submissions Closed", "Voting Open", and then "Results" - sort of keeps you informed ...

The other comp you might like to enter now and then is the "Song Writing Contest" ...

Current one with 3 days to go (so you might like to look and bookmark for future reference for the next comp). Quite a bit different from the OSC, rules are a lot stricter ... but is also quite fun, and gets you working on your music - this time you can sing as well if you wish!!

https://mix-challenge.com/forum/viewtop ... f=11&t=343

HTH

dB

Return to “Instruments”