SonicLab x HAINBACH Test Equipment Instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
1 posts since 23 Aug, 2016

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:18 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
The Fundamental wave engine is a faithful sonic recreation of a vintage Rohde&Schwartz vacuum tube oscillator. Basically emulating Test Equipment sounds!

FEATURES:
unique polymorphing wavetable synthesis without any compromise in data content and precision.

4 dynamic wavetables being rendered for each voice to represent infinitesimal steps of frequency and gain combinations between 1HZ – 3800Hz of the original vacuum tube oscillator.

8 simultaneous voices each with custom freq, gain, boost, panning and modulation settings.

Custom or harmonic frequency distribution of voices with variable spread ratio and tuning table.

4 independent stochastic modulations for each voice (32 in total) addressing all parameters with various continuous, discrete distributions and also standard waveforms.

Full MPE support with various configuration possibilites.

Independent Attack / Release envelopes for each voice with various modes, AR times can be set to degrees of randomness.

Vintage oscillator or pure sine wave mode.

https://www.sonic-lab.com/fundamental (https://www.sonic-lab.com/fundamental)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_igtx-qK4s

KVRAF
6708 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:31 am

I love the stuff Hainbach does with old gear so will be sure to demo this, thanks.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

KVRAF
31165 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:45 am

Shame it requires iLok (imho) ...

KVRAF
5942 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 am

I can't resist this. I was going to, thinking I could build similar stuff in Bitwig Grid, but really the modulation stuff is perfect. If I didn't already have an iLok account it'd be easier to resist...

I've been listening to it for hours while working from home, occasionally tweaking it a little or trying it through other things. It pairs really nicely with AudioThing Speakers, or actual analog drive (including Ripples 2020, where filter FM is nice too). Or parallel comb filters with slowly, slightly modulated frequencies. Or the Lyra-8's FX section. Or...

KVRAF
32945 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 am

This sounds so beautiful

KVRAF
3208 posts since 25 Mar, 2016 from Seattle

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Is it musical at all, can you play it via midi?

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:23 pm

It's not meant to be played with MIDI (other than specialized MPE control), but you can use MIDI Note On to assign pitches to individual oscillators when you select them in the GUI.

It is very musical if you are open minded and experimental. 8)

KVRAF
2349 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

--- delete double post -----
Last edited by Scotty on Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
2349 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 pm

I am getting crypto malware warning and it was quarantined by Emisoft anti-malware which was updated this morning. It is likely a false positive but I thought SonicLabs should know. The trial is only 4 days via Ilok cloud so hopefully they can sort it out.

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:57 pm

The "Account & Cart" page shows a PayPal logo, then a bunch of credit card logos and "Powered by Stripe."

The next page doesn't offer a way to pay by PayPal. It does say "Pay with Credit or Debit Card," but denied my debit card.

Kickstarter is the only other place that has ever declined my debit card... and wouldn't you know, both Kickstarter and SonicLab both use Stripe. aka, the only reason I even have a credit card :P

KVRAF
1800 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:49 pm

downloading demo now - the only problem from reading that CDM review might be the GUI size. Other than that this looks a wonderful product. Will be interested to check the midi pitch input, to see if that
foosnark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:57 pm
The "Account & Cart" page shows a PayPal logo, then a bunch of credit card logos and "Powered by Stripe."

The next page doesn't offer a way to pay by PayPal. It does say "Pay with Credit or Debit Card," but denied my debit card.

Kickstarter is the only other place that has ever declined my debit card... and wouldn't you know, both Kickstarter and SonicLab both use Stripe. aka, the only reason I even have a credit card :P
their facebook page says they are having troubles with servers etc at the moment.
Also, with midi pitch input over-riding the current state - does the state go back to where it was before the midi input, or does it now continue from a new pitch point? eg can one play a chord then release it to have the system drift around for a while from that chord, then play another chord, release, and have the system reset and now drift around from that new chord etc etc

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:09 pm

I got a reply from their tech support -- they don't know anything about the debit card processing (neither does Kickstarter... and honestly neither does Stripe probably :hihi:). They offered to let me purchase through PayPal by email, but said they need to take the logo down from the site since it doesn't work through their cart system.

As for pitch MIDI input, I haven't read the manual, but it seems to just monophonically set the frequency for the single oscillator you last clicked on within a few seconds. There might be more to it than that though. :shrug:

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:24 pm

foosnark wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:09 pm
I got a reply from their tech support -- they don't know anything about the debit card processing (neither does Kickstarter... and honestly neither does Stripe probably :hihi:). They offered to let me purchase through PayPal by email, but said they need to take the logo down from the site since it doesn't work through their cart system.

As for pitch MIDI input, I haven't read the manual, but it seems to just monophonically set the frequency for the single oscillator you last clicked on within a few seconds. There might be more to it than that though. :shrug:
thanks - have the demo now so will play around for my 4 days :) First thoughts are perhaps I can do similar enough in Bitwig and save the money - I notice you mentioned, and dismissed it :) . I will try that before I buy as the GUI size is an issue for me.

KVRAF

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:43 pm

enjoying this quite a bit once I started thinking of it as a component in a generative system - I have been feeding multiple instances through Gatekeeper and that is very nice. Well and truly of a "buy" mind at the moment. But will take the foot off the GAS pedal for a bit longer

KVRist
125 posts since 5 Jul, 2019

Post Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Interesting and I'd be into supporting Hainbach with a purchase but I'll definitely have to download and demo when I have time to really use it during such a short window - part of me thinks that this is much less interesting than it sounds without the hands-on factor of hardware.

Return to “Instruments”