Synapse Audio OBSESSION is now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Obsession

There are other emulations for that (one can be had on sale for $20). A “true” SEM emulation would be like building a new synth within a synth. I’d rather Obsession do the one thing it does as best possible.

Yeah, for a SEM the bx_oberhausen is pretty good. Got it for $20 and it's great.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm There are other emulations for that (one can be had on sale for $20). A “true” SEM emulation would be like building a new synth within a synth. I’d rather Obsession do the one thing it does as best possible.
I just want the filter. Not the whole SEM.

Pigments has it in all it's morphing glory.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 pm Pigments has it in all it's morphing glory.
Not a big fan of Pigments or most Arturia stuff. Doesn't sound quite right. Too middy for my ears. I have to tame it with EQ.

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 pm I wish that Synapse would add a SEM filter option in the future so you can also get OBX/OB8 type sounds.
The OB-Xa and OB-8 use the same filter chip and sound somewhat similar, outside the extra mod features and tuning stability of the OB-8 and the extra instability and randomness of the card per voice in the OB-Xa.

From Gearslutz: "The OBX-a and OB-8 use a 3320, wired up as a state-variable filter. Only the lowpass output is taken from the 3320. Apparently the OBX-a uses a 2nd 3320, configured as a cascaded OTA 4-pole filter."

They added different components in the OB-8 to allow re-configuring the single chip to 24db so that only one filter chip was needed. While the 3320 could potentially do HP, BP, etc. they choose only to do LP. The OB-X is a similar design (12db LP only), but doesn't use CEM chips and is a discreet design, possibly closer to the SEM modules.

If you're speaking of the original SEM filter that is a state variable design (morphing LP/BP/HP), then that was only available on the SEM modules (including 2, 4, 8 voice) and the newer OB-6 synth.

I personally would love an SEM module (with polyphony) from Synapse. BX_Oberhausen is a nice little soft synth for $20, but when I compared to a real vintage SEM module it was pretty pathetic. Not my experience comparing Obsession to OB-Xa, Repro-1 to a Pro-1, Repro-5 to a Prophet 5 and Legend to a Minimoog.

urosh wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 pm
e-crooner wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 pm The kick drum is nice, how did you get it that consistent? Sample it? 8)
Nope, osc reset. Although, I've pulled decent kick with free running oscillators, tricky part is getting right balance of resonance + pitch and filter env modulation, so that filter dominates initial transient.
Oh, didn't know that was possible, but I just found the option in the mod matrix :) Seems the free-running mode is disabled as soon as one selects the osc phase as a target. But it seems to work only for saw, not for pulse, or am I missing something?

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm I don't think it's just code. There are GUI challenges and other things to take into account.
He can put a switch on the back panel. No GUI challenges involved. Again, look at Dune 3.
makes no sense when the filter is on the main page

AnX wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am
tony10000 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm I don't think it's just code. There are GUI challenges and other things to take into account.
He can put a switch on the back panel. No GUI challenges involved. Again, look at Dune 3.
makes no sense when the filter is on the main page
Yeah, if it's the morphing LP>Notch>HP SEM filter, you'd have to put another knob on the main page. I don't know where would it fit there.

Currently here i got 3 options for the SEM motphing filter which are Arturia SEM V2, The Uhbie filter in Diva and the "Multi" filter in the free OB-Xd. I like the filters in OBsession "as is" and do not really need an additional SEM filter there.
i am happy that in OBsession we have the 2 Bandpass modes besides the 2 Lowpass filters and the 2-pole LPF already seems to be sowehow close to the behavior of the SEM LPF (at least with keeping the low end at full resonance).

Even if Richard would consider adding a SEM filer (and somehow i doubt he would do that in OBsession...) i am very sure he would only add it if he would have access to a real SEM module to model it properly.

Besides that it indeed would need a few changes to the GUI and there is not much free space left at the GUI. The mimimum you need is a a switch for the OB-Xa/SEM filter models, a knob to do the LP>Notch>HP morphing stuff and a way to use the BPF, either included in the knob or as a separate switch like e.g. in the OB-6, Diva or OB-Xd. As we already got a "BP" switch at the main GUI it might be used for that purpose.
In the SEM the BPF was not included in the morphing feature but as a separate filter mode. Diva in the Uhbie filter has an option to change the Notch filter to a BPF to include it in the morphing feature. In OB-Xd replacing the Nottch with the BPF seems to be the only way to use it as without that the BP switch has no effect on the sound.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 am Even if Richard would consider adding a SEM filer (and somehow i doubt he would do that in OBsession...) i am very sure he would only add it if he would have access to a real SEM module to model it properly.

really? you don't think he'd just have a guess at it and hope nobody would notice?

:dog:

For one of the next OBsession updates i am more interested in improvements for the Step LFO.

In a private discussion with Richard and partly also at the Beta forum so far this was mentioned:
- adding Step smoothing, either as a knob (which i prefer) or a switch
- Presets for the Step LFO including waveshapes, envelope shapes and other shapes (e.g. Arp/sequencerr patterns)
- A value display for the steps to actually see which value each of them has while adjusting them (e.g. as a tool tip display)
- a drawing tool for easy drawing of lines/shapes which is very difficult with the current freehand drawing
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am For one of the next OBsession updates i am more interested in improvements for the Step LFO.

In a private discussion with Richard and partly also at the Beta forum so far this was mentioned:
- Presets for the Step LFO including waveshapes, envelope shapes and other shapes (e.g. Arp/sequencerr patterns)
- A value display for the steps to actually see which value each of them has while adjusting them (e.g. as a tool tip display)
- a drawing tool for easy drawing of lines/shapes which is very difficult with the current freehand drawing
That's great (MSEG would be even greater, but smoothing should do 95% of the work).
Also, Ingo, pretty please with sugar on top, ask Richard to add synced-to-tempo-but-not-reset-at-note-start for step LFO.

Ingonator wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am For one of the next OBsession updates i am more interested in improvements for the Step LFO.

Any chance you could ask him about the missing Saw waveform on the LFO?

TheHelioSequence wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:04 am

Any chance you could ask him about the missing Saw waveform on the LFO?
Could be done as a preset for the Step LFO when this feature gets implemented. A drawing tool to create proper lineswith rhe steps could be helpful there too.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”