Serum in 2020

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum Bass - Presets For Serum Serum Pads - Presets For Serum Serum Synths - Presets For Xfer Serum

Great synth. One of the only vsts that I use regularly... I can't think of anything that is better for what it does.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

i've wanted to like Serum and i've rented it but the CPU is too high and overall the synth's natural image is "too tinty" imo and more specifically fit for lead synths. It seems to have the same fidelity as Logic X's quality native synths which is what i like most about it.
It all depends on the genre & character you're going for and how it fits in your mix subjectively so no tool is necessarily "better", unless people are more talking about the GUI and the quantity of it's features.
Phase Plant seems to offer more now creatively

meh, it makes obnoxious noise like many other "modern" synths.
mostly because of how the patches are programmed with heavy
brickwall compression and distortion effects. synth1 is still my fav CPU
friendly sonic swiss army knife of choice.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Serum is a "must have", but imho Icarus2 is better.
On the other hand many wavetable synths go granular (avenger, pigments, rapid, phase plant) so this may be the next step for Serum, but dunno if it's on the roadmap..

layzer wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:24 pm meh, it makes obnoxious noise like many other "modern" synths.
mostly because of how the patches are programmed with heavy
brickwall compression and distortion effects.
Nothing like a bit of generalisation.

V0RT3X wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:38 am What are your thoughts on this in 2020?

I own a licence, and can't seem to find a use for it in any of my stuff. It just sounds harsh to my ears compared to many other wavetable style synthesizers.

I remember when it was released how it was hyped so much, but now in 2020 does it still live up to that hype??

I don't think so, in fact I think its kind of underwhelming. It also sucks Duda won't allow licence transfers or even respond to requests to delete my account.
There are endless sounds / soundbanks available for pretty much every genre and that shows how flexible and popular Serum is! I have over 7000 from them and Serum can really sound very different. I mostly buy many soundbanks for my VSTs, because with them, it's very easy to check the strenghts very fast. And meanwhile I mostly program hard and cold sounds with it for DnB or Neurofunk stuff, because this is one of its strenghts.

And Serum was released in 2014, so meanwhile it's well exhausted and works very good!

But yes, that "no licence transfer" nonsense is shit ...

I really liked it when I tried the demo but my laptop couldn't handle the cpu usage. If I ever get a better laptop I'll probably buy it.

Serum is a monster. For bass music, it is a sound design playground and a masterpiece.

that drag and drop wav export of the last note you played is the best thing since sliced bread

every other plugin ever made should have that

Serum is great and capable of some very unique sounds.

SharksFin wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:28 pm that drag and drop wav export of the last note you played is the best thing since sliced bread

Where's that?

I don't like it the interface is bad the sound is boring

poetd wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:47 pm
SharksFin wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:28 pm that drag and drop wav export of the last note you played is the best thing since sliced bread

Where's that?
Top left, above the GUI magnifier. Hover your mouse pointer there and it will appear.

OMG

(totally awesome, thanks!)

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:14 pmThe other thing I don't like about Serum is that there is no realtime interpolation between frames.
This is the main limiting factor for me. You can't juxtapose fast and slow modulations, pack multiple timbres into one wavetable, or do any particularly subtle movements unless you dedicate the entire wavetable to it. It's perhaps the main reason it has a reputation as an EDM synth (that and the squashy multiband compressor in the FX section). The noise floor just creeps a little too high if you're looking to do anything more than rapidly modulate across two or three timbres.

It's not a synth I regret buying in any way. Love the workflow, and the developer is the most responsive and active out there. I tend to reach for Pigments these days though, even if I find it a little slower to work with.

Return to “Instruments”