Polyphonic Aftertouch: why isn’t it always represented?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As to the initial question: a *BIG* culprit I think is the Ableton-Live team.
Out of some obscure reason they have chosen to completely ignore PolyAT ever since.
Which is a real PITA!!! :evil:
Actually, they don’t ignore it. They actively filter it out. The odd thing is, it does receive polyphonic aftertouch from Push. You just can’t use it with plugins.

...well, english is not my mother tongue but for me 'ignoring' and 'actively filtering it out' is pretty much the same.

I always wondered *why*, I mean, a bit is a bit is a bit, but Ableton strictly refused to make any comment (except once, a statement was made, 'they would also like to support it')
With the arrival of Push I thought, it will be coming soon, but ...nothing!

And now it isn't all that important anymore, because now we have MPE.
Not Ableton, mind you :evil:

e-crooner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm In my view, with EDM, which most people using plugins seem to make, the subtleties of using poly AT are superfluous. So, most computer musicians don't get an expensive poly AT keyboard. Developers know that...
Really, most people who use plugins write EDM music? I did not know that...lol!

Thinking about it, AT is also pretty rare with real instruments. Once one has hit the key, string, drum skin or whatever, usually the only thing one can still manipulate to a certain extent is the duration of the sound. Most of the player's sensitivity goes into the attack, not the sustain.
[/quote] You're killing me here with your comments. You need to broaden your musical knowledge regarding expression in musical instruments. There's way more to them than just the "attack". Loads of percussion instruments have sustain variables to manipulate. Vibrato is a sustain variable...

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:11 am
Noumena wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 am I disagree that the Linnstrument is superior to the Roli. I've had both and I've found that for me the opposite is true.
One thing I noticed when I was shopping for MPE controllers is that there are very few good Linnstrument demos. Even ones from Roger sound bad. Something is just off about the performance in nearly all of them. I think I’ve heard a few really good ones. I’m assuming that means there’s a lot of effort needed to become proficient on one. The Rise, OTOH, I felt like in the first day of owning one I was doing stuff that seemed pretty good, and by the end of the week I felt comfortable on it. I know people don’t like the squishy bumps, but they feel right to me. Exactly right. If you don’t want the bumps on your way up the scale, it’s sensitive above and below them as well.

But why is this thread becoming about MPE? I’m asking about polyphonic aftertouch. :?
I know I'm continuing the sidetrack a bit here but oh well, how much is there to talk about polyAT...

I somewhat agree about the linnstrument demos, at least the ones trying to mimic real expressive instruments. I think there are lots of great demos of synth sounds, as well as some good guitar demos. Guitar is a little easier than the brass and wind etc. Personally I also find the Rise easier to play, mostly when it comes to instruments that are emulating real world instruments. It just seems to work for those expressions better for me. I also think the demos are better. That being said, I do like the linnstrument for synthetic sounds quite a bit. The shorter Y axis can be great for some things especially, es well as the ease of doing some quick runs. As a guitar player I can do some quick scales much easier than on a rise. So for me I find them to have pretty different uses.

Return to “Instruments”