Tal sampler Linux

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
tushma
KVRer
1 posts since 30 Jun, 2020

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 am

Hi! Im having trouble to install Tal sampler.so file in latest Ubuntu. Is there any step by step tutorial? I have installed Tal noisemaker trough synaptic package manager, but i dont understand .so files and programing. Thnx in advance. It seems that Togu audio makes great vsts!!

glokraw
KVRAF
7524 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: Tal sampler Linux

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:35 pm

The .so extension is linux-speak for .dll. Just place any .so file in your daw vst path ( edit: see next post... )

/home/you/.vst or

/usr/lib/vst or whatever else you decide for your paths.

You can unarchive a .deb, and see what is included, and where things go,
in case something is less than standard fare.
Cheers
Last edited by glokraw on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glokraw
KVRAF
7524 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Re: Tal sampler Linux

Post Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

More to the story, there is a ToguAudioLine folder created in

/home/you

when the daw first loads the plugin. So I copied some samples and soundfonts there, and linked the folder to

/home/you/.vst

I was able to load and play a soundfont in linux Reaper, but .wav files from a variety of trustworthy sources refuse to be imported, if even visible in TAL's browser, and they load fine in Audacity.
The behavior even differs between Ubuntu Studios 19.10, and 20.04, with TAL Sampler unsuccessful in it's core mission in both cases. The sampler even opens firefox at times when attempting to load a .wav using it's own capabilities. :dog: :scared:

Seems like an Alpha release to me, certainly not commercial, and not expected from a long-establshed dev. I use their linux reverbs with some regularity without issues. What;s up at TAL? :?
(In fairness, the demo plays the noiseburst sample quite nicely :hihi: )

Return to “Instruments”