U-he Hive

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiot wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm Does anyone have a tip for another concrete purpose? But with "concrete" i mean "concrete" ... i'm not a friend of experimental fiddling orgies :wink:
Sure, here's a simple use case. Imagine making a Keyboard patch and wanting a percussive attack. I want to preserve all four ADSR envelopes for interesting purposes, such as filter control, wavetable position, etc. So, if I'm using SubOsc2 as white noise, I can simply use the FG as an AD envelope to control the SubOsc2 Volume knob. And I could also have it applied as an additional envelope for the filter, etc.

EDIT: Scratched out a quick example patch as attachment. Not an actual good patch, just a mod assignment example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:19 pm
audiot wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm Does anyone have a tip for another concrete purpose? But with "concrete" i mean "concrete" ... i'm not a friend of experimental fiddling orgies :wink:
Sure, here's a simple use case. Imagine making a Keyboard patch and wanting a percussive attack. I want to preserve all four ADSR envelopes for interesting purposes, such as filter control, wavetable position, etc. So, if I'm using SubOsc2 as white noise, I can simply use the FG as an AD envelope to control the SubOsc2 Volume knob. And I could also have it applied as an additional envelope for the filter, etc.

EDIT: Scratched out a quick example patch as attachment. Not an actual good patch, just a mod assignment example.
Thank you KBSoundSmith :tu: So now we have morping the LFO waveform and acting as additonal envelopes ... any more suggestions?

U-he should include some basic tutorial- or demonstration patches in Hive, as the patches already have a textfield in the browser.
Last edited by audiot on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I gotta say, I considered myself to not be the target market for hive (more into retro and modular-ish stuff than straight EDM - current favourites are ACE and Bazille) when it first came out, but the modular type aspects added in V2 discussed in this thread got me to try the demo and wow - it's on the wishlist now.

audiot wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Thank you KBSoundSmith :tu: So now we have morping the LFO waveform and acting as additonal envelopes ... any more suggestions?

U-he should include some basic tutorial- or demonstration patches in Hive, as the patches already have a textfield in the browser.
Sure, time for one more. Use an FG as an LFO. I made and attached a simple brass patch to demonstrate. In this, an FG is used as an LFO to provide chaos during the attack portion of the sound. The output of the FG is scaled by the MOD2 Envelope.

Try this in the Modulation Matrix. Turn Matrix A 01 On/Off to hear what the FG is doing in context of the patch. Likewise, remove MOD2 from the Matrix A 01 scaling menu to hear what the FG does left on its own.

The patch is Velocity and Modwheel dependent, btw, so play around with those to get a full sense of the patch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is regarding the Hive 2 debate.

Hive 2 is what sold it for me, as I was rather late to it, the full list of what it is capable of really made it a VST to remember and I was quite surprised that there were opinions that 2 ruined it, as it seemed to just fully flash it out and make it the best it can be.

But once again, this is a perspective of joining late to the party.
Take care :wink:

U-he has several tutorial videos for Hive here:

https://u-he.com/products/hive/
Stormchild

MitchK1989 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:02 pm I gotta say, I considered myself to not be the target market for hive (more into retro and modular-ish stuff than straight EDM - current favourites are ACE and Bazille) when it first came out, but the modular type aspects added in V2 discussed in this thread got me to try the demo and wow - it's on the wishlist now.
Hive2 is not an “end synth” - it’s a synth you use to make music, which may or may not have been EDM. I never have made EDM with any synth.

I’m glad you found it - Hive2 is great.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm
audiot wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Sure, time for one more. Use an FG as an LFO. I made and attached a simple brass patch to demonstrate. In this, an FG is used as an LFO to provide chaos during the attack portion of the sound. The output of the FG is scaled by the MOD2 Envelope.

Try this in the Modulation Matrix. Turn Matrix A 01 On/Off to hear what the FG is doing in context of the patch. Likewise, remove MOD2 from the Matrix A 01 scaling menu to hear what the FG does left on its own.

The patch is Velocity and Modwheel dependent, btw, so play around with those to get a full sense of the patch.
Subtle, but very interesting :tu: I'll do some further experiments this afternoon ... unfortunatly i have a hangover and i'm not in the mood at the moment :drunk: Thank you KBSoundSmith :tu:

KBSoundSmith wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm Sure, time for one more. Use an FG as an LFO. I made and attached a simple brass patch to demonstrate. In this, an FG is used as an LFO to provide chaos during the attack portion of the sound. The output of the FG is scaled by the MOD2 Envelope.

I played around with the function generator a bit more. Lot's of posibilities :-o :shock: :wheee: but the most interesting aspect to me is, that you can create unusual LFO waveforms. The standard LFO waveforms are sometimes to static in some scenarios. Here is a patch that i made ... it's a riser (kind of). You can see the shape when you look at the insight/oscilloscope-page.

Sounds best around C2 ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8m5ma5rs2qei ... 3.h2p?dl=1

I tried to generate an arp-like sequence with FG1 and some use of the shape sequencer just playing a note. Changing the knobs in matrix slot 01 and/or slot 02 changes the sequence which is quite fun.

Beachboy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:32 pm I tried to generate an arp-like sequence with FG1 and some use of the shape sequencer just playing a note. Changing the knobs in matrix slot 01 and/or slot 02 changes the sequence which is quite fun.
This is a cool one! I like it! Thanks beachboy :tu:

Here's something of a more experimental sequence, using FG for pitch primarily (whole tone sequence), and a few lesser roles. The patch also features interactions of MOD1 and LFO1. Switch around Filter modes, use Modwheel for slight filter drive.

KBSoundSmith wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:17 pm Here's something of a more experimental sequence, using FG for pitch primarily (whole tone sequence), and a few lesser roles. The patch also features interactions of MOD1 and LFO1. Switch around Filter modes, use Modwheel for slight filter drive.
Does the "EXP" in the patchname stand for experimental? :o This patch is really crazy :wheee:

The newest update seems to have made the CPU usage very pleasant.

Am I missing something, or is it just good news?

Hehehe, you're right. It's called "The Performance Update" for a reason - and that's not just about M1 chips.

We added the most sophisticated resource management of any of our plug-ins to Hive (things that don't do anything are put on stand by, even if they wouldn't drain much CPU) and we fixed a few performance bottlenecks. We also discovered a possibly novel formula to "losslessly optimise" wavetables based on their harmonic content which slashes CPU for a lot of wavetable presets in half. Latter also operates on the standard waveforms with maybe a 20% speed bump.
Last edited by Urs on Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”