One Synth Challenge #137: HY-Poly by HY-Plugins ( Peter:H Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Welcome back Mr.T !! Back with the same flair. Nice track, mix and sound design. Enjoyed it a lot.

Here's my entry as well, for what it's worth. Only EQ on the tracks except 2 reverbs, one on the instrument buss and another on the drum buss. A little compression etc from Limiter No.6 on the drum buss (and just for good measure on the kick)

DAW: Reaper 5.99

Track details:
21 * HY-Poly(free)
5 * Limiter No.6
20 * ReaEQ
2 * Oril River

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
LoudMax 64

Meter:
YouLean Loudness Mater 2
SPAN

Stats:
LUFS: -13.8
DR: 10

Enjoy

dB
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/polyjazz
Last edited by doctorbob on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks, Rob! It's nice to be back, even if ever so briefly. But it's recharging me for sure.
I trust that we're all doing well in the midst of all the madness out there. Making music is a powerful tool to stay sane and strong! 8)

Hey T. Hope you are keeping safe and well. I have only been out of the house a couple of times to go fishing! Otherwise, I stay behind closed doors and keep away from everyone ... I just ain't gonna get the virus - am too old to be doing that!!!!!!! But, I keep making OSC tracks and still find that fun and helpful in these times, in between gardening etc ...

dB

I've just listened to your track and feel right at home again here, hehehe! :tu:
Well, sounds like you're having things under control and get to enjoy life no matter what. That's the way to do it! :)

Hey ! Here is my submission to OSC #137 !
So I used about 25 HY-Poly free instances in Ableton Live 10.1
A lot of EQ, (heavy) Compression, Filtering with stock plugins
- one instance of erosion, not sure this is strictly in the rules, the aim was to make the build-up messy
- TDR Vos Slick EQ (in the mastering chain)
- TDR Nova (quite a lot)
- SPAN (for monitoring)
- Valhalla Super Massive which ... well... is a super massive plugin for free, definitely my favorite freeby of the year
- TAL Reverb 4

Hope you'll enjoy it and good luxk to everybody !

https://soundcloud.com/diaseis-music/could-be-osc137

Cool synth with some nice bells and whistles in its free incarnation. Very easy to use, and great returns (thanks to the synth, not me!). Great job, hyakken!

This is broader and brighter than my WiP, but hey, it's summertime!
  • Edit 1: I might dress down some of the jollier "roundabout" melodies if I get around to it. Feels a bit misplaced. Oh well, if time permits!
  • Edit 2: I stripped out a lot of melodic elements, and immediately got much closer to my original intention - so I'm uploading this new, bare-bones version. I'll probably add some elements again - only appropriate ones this time! Ted Mountainé - now editing in realtime!
  • Edit 3: There we go - something removed, something added - Ctrl+F5! :hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/spla ... hy-plugins

25 HY's from scratch
DAW: Studio One Professional 4.6.2
Stock: ProEQ, Mixtool, Gate, Analog Delay
3rd party: IVGI, DC1A, SuperMassive, DDCompressor, DDReverb, RS-W2395C, SN03G, SonEQ, TalReverb4, DragonflyRoom, StereoTool, TDRVosSlickEQ, Unlimited. No mods on delays/reverbs.

(A little heads-up, here's an inconvenience I discovered: When I worked on my track, some notes stuck when I stopped playback - and I had to search for the instrument in question and play the notes on the keyboard to make them stop.

So far, so good. But when I rendered the track, the same thing happened on the first chord. I worked around it by inserting muted copies of the first chord before the actual arrangement, but I suspect some of the other instruments have a wonky start because of this as well - like the first kick and snare hits. I'm on Studio One / Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen. / Win 10 64-bit)
Last edited by schiing on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:52 pm
(A little heads-up, here's an inconvenience I discovered: When I worked on my track, some notes stuck when I stopped playback - and I had to search for the instrument in question and play the notes on the keyboard to make them stop.

So far, so good. But when I rendered the track, the same thing happened on the first chord. I worked around it by inserting muted copies of the first chord before the actual arrangement, but I suspect some of the other instruments have a wonky start because of this as well - like the first kick and snare hits. I'm on Studio One / Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen. / Win 10 64-bit)
Hi schiing
I'm also work with Studio One Professional.
With the Studio One Version 4.6.2 and before, I often had the same problems wich you describe.
I now work with the new Studio One 5.0 and the problems a gone.
Maybe you should update to the new version :-)

Nice track !!

Thanks Juergen! I've had similar issues with a couple of other OSC synths, so Studio One might well be the culprit.

I thought I'd sit out the first iteration of 5.0 - it brought little to the table for me. But yeah, I'm certain that some stability issues have been addressed as well, so I'll certainly keep an eye on the Studio One forums.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

IV! wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 am You wanna here Hy-Poly pumping ?
Check out this hardstylish sketch: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/hy-a ... 3DrkYVRrQh
I think production wise it's already pretty good for a 4h-work sketch. What I really have troubles is the harsh high noizes that the filter drive adds. You guys with younger ears - though I have a high cut in the master at about 13Khz. Is it still to harsh?
Anyway, I think this is probably again a 2 tracks month ;-) Much fun with Hy-Poly free though it is kind of a pain to get some really agressive kicks out of it.
It sounds Epic! Of course, I'm not a professional (especially in electronic music), but for my 26 year old ears, that used to listening rock music mostly, this is quite a canonical mix, without unpleasant sensations at the high or anywhere else. I think I'm going to start loving hardstyle soon because of you... :lol:
Hey IV!
thanks for you encouraging feedback!
If you like check out the updated version. It slowly get's shape. I have recycled some of the intro of my first track. Then I have added some more sounds like "genre" specific screeches and currently lead the tack into total head banging escalation ... now I need a melodic mid-tro into another part for freaking out crowd.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/hy-a ... 3DrkYVRrQh

I just found out HY-POLY was this month's OSC, I can't wait to see the results!
In the future there will be robots!

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:21 pm
IV! wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 am You wanna here Hy-Poly pumping ?
Check out this hardstylish sketch: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/hy-a ... 3DrkYVRrQh
I think production wise it's already pretty good for a 4h-work sketch. What I really have troubles is the harsh high noizes that the filter drive adds. You guys with younger ears - though I have a high cut in the master at about 13Khz. Is it still to harsh?
Anyway, I think this is probably again a 2 tracks month ;-) Much fun with Hy-Poly free though it is kind of a pain to get some really agressive kicks out of it.
It sounds Epic! Of course, I'm not a professional (especially in electronic music), but for my 26 year old ears, that used to listening rock music mostly, this is quite a canonical mix, without unpleasant sensations at the high or anywhere else. I think I'm going to start loving hardstyle soon because of you... :lol:
Hey IV!
thanks for you encouraging feedback!
If you like check out the updated version. It slowly get's shape. I have recycled some of the intro of my first track. Then I have added some more sounds like "genre" specific screeches and currently lead the tack into total head banging escalation ... now I need a melodic mid-tro into another part for freaking out crowd.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/hy-a ... 3DrkYVRrQh
I like the lead!
In the future there will be robots!

MalToné wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:51 pm One of the features I find interesting is the ADSR on the filter envelopes. It really opens up a lot of possibilities. Is that common in other synths? Maybe it's just that the GUI in Hy-Poly presented it in a way that I could understand it...

My sound design for this month is pretty simple, but I can't wait to hear what sounds people come up with from Hy-Poly...
A "dedicated" ADSR applied to a Filter is pretty common among Synths. Or did I get you wrong and you were talking about that the Envelopes Stages themselves can again be modulated by other Envelopes?
Anyway it's cool that HY-Polys GUI was able to introduce you to this feature. Speaks for the clean and intuitive GUI.
One thing that is "relatively new" is that the FX are per voice, which means that you can modulate Chorus parameters by any of the given modulators.
And this "learning new things" is one reason, why I take part in the OSC. I don't remember a single round where I ended up saying "nothing learned".

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am
MalToné wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:51 pm One of the features I find interesting is the ADSR on the filter envelopes. It really opens up a lot of possibilities. Is that common in other synths? Maybe it's just that the GUI in Hy-Poly presented it in a way that I could understand it...

My sound design for this month is pretty simple, but I can't wait to hear what sounds people come up with from Hy-Poly...
A "dedicated" ADSR applied to a Filter is pretty common among Synths. Or did I get you wrong and you were talking about that the Envelopes Stages themselves can again be modulated by other Envelopes?
Anyway it's cool that HY-Polys GUI was able to introduce you to this feature. Speaks for the clean and intuitive GUI.
One thing that is "relatively new" is that the FX are per voice, which means that you can modulate Chorus parameters by any of the given modulators.
And this "learning new things" is one reason, why I take part in the OSC. I don't remember a single round where I ended up saying "nothing learned".
Agreed, OSC is a fun and informative place to hang out.

Yeah, I'm having fun discovering and exploring synthesis. Not to deep of a dive, I was mostly messing with the four ADSR envelopes and filter settings in Hy-Poly, just that aspect seems pretty powerful!

Thanks to all here for the tips and inspiration! Track in the making for OSC137...
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

+++ Submission +++

HY - A - GRESSIVE

https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/hy-a-gressive

Hy-Poly (free) * 26. All sounds from init but the Strings. Bitwig Multiband FX, EQ+, Tool, PeakLimiter, Delay, Dynamics, Melda MCompressor, MSaturator, Valhalla SuperMassive

Updated the track a few times - Please take a listen again.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Work in progress:

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/ruedir ... tahl-3-wip

After the funtastic Odin 2 it took me some time to accommodate ...

Stay healthy!
Ruedi

Return to “Instruments”