Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dellboy
KVRian
1328 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am

layzer wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:19 am

i dunno, but i hope he ports a WinXP version before a mac version.
vintage synths should run on vintage OS's :idea:

and yeah, a win3.1, amiga, C64, vic20, ZX81, i can already
predict those responces, haha yeah funny :lol: :lol:
If you have a USB port on your old WinXp machine you could try out what your missing by installing Ubuntu Studio to a USB stick and boot off that into a temporary live setup. I tried it, and it works, and was quite easy to do.

!: Download Ubuntu Studio and "Rufus" USB installer app.

2: Rummage around in your drawer and find any old USB stick and use Rufus to install Ubuntu Studio.

3: Download Nils K1v Linux version and put it somewhere easy to find.

4: Boot into Ubuntu Studio and install Wine from a terminal - sudo apt-get install wine -

5: Click on Nils VST and install

6: Download the Bitwig demo and install and generally setup in the settings for your machine.

7: Run "Carla" which is pre-installed in Bitwig and press "add" in Carla and find and add the VST.

8: Play

Kott
KVRist
294 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 am

dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
4: Boot into Ubuntu Studio and install Wine from a terminal - sudo apt-get install wine -
it has native linux version

dellboy
KVRian
1328 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 am

Kott wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 am
dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
4: Boot into Ubuntu Studio and install Wine from a terminal - sudo apt-get install wine -
it has native linux version
Yes, that's the one I meant to download, the Linux version.

The trouble is for some reason that I do not understand the DEB package just hung saying " pending installation". Installing Wine and double clicking on it again worked. I have no reason as to why, I am a Linux novice.

If you have an explanation as to what is going on and why installing Wine persuaded it to load then I would be grateful for an explanation. :)

Atlatnesiti
KVRist
166 posts since 3 Apr, 2018

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:15 am

Hello Nils,
Have you made any progress for macOS yet?
Kind regards

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
7218 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:44 am

dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
layzer wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:19 am

i dunno, but i hope he ports a WinXP version before a mac version.
vintage synths should run on vintage OS's :idea:

and yeah, a win3.1, amiga, C64, vic20, ZX81, i can already
predict those responces, haha yeah funny :lol: :lol:
If you have a USB port on your old WinXp machine you could try out what your missing by installing Ubuntu Studio to a USB stick
----------------snip--------------------------------------
thanks for going out of your way to type all that...
as easy as that looks, i'm not that hard pressed as Mac
users for an XP port of this, though it would be nice.
to use it alongside FB Fury-8oo, UnoLX and Dexed.
which work perfect in EXT2 under XP.
so its M1 and Ravity for now, for rompler duties.
I dont like linux and detest Mac even more.
but again, thanks anyway.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Atlatnesiti
KVRist
166 posts since 3 Apr, 2018

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 am

layzer wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:44 am
dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
layzer wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:19 am

i dunno, but i hope he ports a WinXP version before a mac version.
vintage synths should run on vintage OS's :idea:

and yeah, a win3.1, amiga, C64, vic20, ZX81, i can already
predict those responces, haha yeah funny :lol: :lol:
If you have a USB port on your old WinXp machine you could try out what your missing by installing Ubuntu Studio to a USB stick
----------------snip--------------------------------------
thanks for going out of your way to type all that...
as easy as that looks, i'm not that hard pressed as Mac
users for an XP port of this, though it would be nice.
to use it alongside FB Fury-8oo, UnoLX and Dexed.
which work perfect in EXT2 under XP.
so its M1 and Ravity for now, for rompler duties.
I dont like linux and detest Mac even more.
but again, thanks anyway.
Win XP ? Really? That is 20 year old OS!
“Detest Mac” - is that because you can’t afford one?
And you don’t like Linux as well.
Is there anything that you actually like, or are you’re just compulsive complainer..?

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
7218 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:33 am

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 am
------------------snip, begin idiot logic-------------------
Win XP ? Really? That is 20 year old OS!
“Detest Mac” - is that because you can’t afford one?
And you don’t like Linux as well.
Is there anything that you actually like, or are you’re just compulsive complainer..?
really.
people own and use music tools older than 20 years old.
just because something is old doesn't mean its bad.
air has been around for a long time, but your
body doesnt care how old it is, it
just uses it to stay alive, allowing you to post
dumb new things in this forum.
i wouldnt own a mac if it was given to me for free.
linux is weird.
what are you complaining about?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

enroe
KVRian
1288 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 am

Atlatnesiti wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 am
Win XP ? Really? That is 20 year old OS!
“Detest Mac” - is that because you can’t afford one?
And you don’t like Linux as well.
Is there anything that you actually like, or are you’re just compulsive complainer..?
I respect it very much when there is someone who is not chasing the latest
hype and who has not succumbed to the compulsion to consume. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
7218 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am

enroe wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 am
I respect it very much when there is someone who is not chasing the latest
hype and who has not succumbed to the compulsion to consume. :tu:
for me, its about staying with what works,
and STAYS working for me. XPSP3 has always
served as a good, lightweight, stable DAW os for me.
and EnergyXT2(which i will never stop using)
provides all my sequencing
needs running under it.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
14161 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 am

dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
If you have a USB port on your old WinXp machine you could try out what your missing by installing Ubuntu Studio to a USB stick and boot off that into a temporary live setup.
Among my numerous computer systems including a couple running Kubuntu I still have an ancient outdated system running the abandoned OS WinXP but I can't get it to boot from USB.

I have to burn a Linux .iso to CDR. Did you actually get a WinXP system to boot from USB and if so how ?

Linux is a perfect OS to re-purpose old outdated systems since it's so lightweight on performance. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

User avatar
DuX
KVRAF
3770 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:04 am

layzer wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:26 am
Ghost Snake wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 am
Actually this is the only plugin that managed to freeze my pc with Cub10 😐 I hope they fix it because it sounded great during the 5 seconds before crashing 😁
yup, thats a drawback of using freeware stuff.
there is no dedicated quality control department to ensure
bullet proof stable operation, which is why i sift through
them and keep the time tested good ones and discard
the bug ridden bad ones, and perhaps revisit them after a while to
give em another chance :D
I don't understand the two thumbs down. Like, you should keep using buggy plugins just because they're free or something? By Crom, I also get rid of the buggy plugins, payed for or free, because the worst thing that can happen to anyone is when your project crashes and you get "out of the zone".
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

glokraw
KVRAF
7690 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:21 pm

dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 am
Kott wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 am
dellboy wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:19 am
4: Boot into Ubuntu Studio and install Wine from a terminal - sudo apt-get install wine -
it has native linux version
Yes, that's the one I meant to download, the Linux version.

The trouble is for some reason that I do not understand the DEB package just hung saying " pending installation". Installing Wine and double clicking on it again worked. I have no reason as to why, I am a Linux novice.

If you have an explanation as to what is going on and why installing Wine persuaded it to load then I would be grateful for an explanation. :)
The linux plugin will have a .so extension, like

/home/me/.vst/libNilsK1v.so

It could be that installing wine pulled in a dependency allowing the windows version to install?

Linux will sometimes leave an incomplete manual install in place, but unconfigured, and complete the install when requirements are met. This happens mainly with manual installs, as package managers like synaptic usually handle details based on repository contents. If you install fileroller, you can extract .deb files to see the contents and install locations, and for simple things like a plugin, copy things over yourself.
Cheers

Nils Schneider
KVRist
241 posts since 22 Oct, 2004 from Neuss, Germany

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:42 am

Hey there,

I don't know what's wrong, but for me the K1v version that i uploaded for testing also works in Bitwig Studio. Please note that the build is a 64 bit build, maybe you are using a 32 bit version of the DAWs?

Image
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP!
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi

artyfuffull
KVRer
6 posts since 23 May, 2013

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:43 am

hi nils, I'm using 64bit app and its not working. did you make a new build or are you referring to the one you posted on this thread?

Atlatnesiti
KVRist
166 posts since 3 Apr, 2018

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 am

artyfuffull wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:43 am
hi nils, I'm using 64bit app and its not working. did you make a new build or are you referring to the one you posted on this thread?
That’s a very good question, but also, perhaps the linked file got somehow corrupted? I’m just guessing, since no one here managed to successfully run it on macOS...

Return to “Instruments”