KNIFONIUM synth released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JerGoertz wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:33 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 pm polyana makes me feel sea sick looking at it.
There are alternative skins if the stock gui doesn't work for you ...

I think this one cleans things up nicely while keeping everything on one page. Poly-Ana is still a great-sounding, characterful synth, even in 2020, if you can get past the GUI. ;)
Yeah, no question, PolyAna is still good sounding. But the problem "fiddliness" (maybe I undestand something different under this term) is when I'm setting up modulation or change the envelopes. The values are very strangely changing. Imo the ranges / the sweet spot is quite hard to get.

On Knifonium this is better. Bigger/more responsive knobs and more range/sensitivity/detail when turning them.
Still as said, Knifonium is different than many other Soft synths, and I think it has a lot of different characters depending on Feedback/Tube setting. Also the Unison sounds great.

dermage wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 pmYeah, no question, PolyAna is still good sounding. But the problem "fiddliness" (maybe I undestand something different under this term) is when I'm setting up modulation or change the envelopes. The values are very strangely changing. Imo the ranges / the sweet spot is quite hard to get.

On Knifonium this is better. Bigger/more responsive knobs and more range/sensitivity/detail when turning them.
Still as said, Knifonium is different than many other Soft synths, and I think it has a lot of different characters depending on Feedback/Tube setting. Also the Unison sounds great.
Okay, yes I know what you're talking about. 'Twould be good to have the ability to enter values with the keyboard here, otherwise, yeah, things can get tricky to get the "sweet spot value" for the dials.
A well-behaved signature.

Been playing with this all night and have to say I’m really liking it.

It has a level of weirdness to it that becomes clearer the more you twist the knobs, crank the resonance and the FM and start modulating...fat layered layered pad sounds out of two oscillators and chunky bass with real character and grit...a small twist of any knob and that can all change to something at times unexpected. I’ve found it very inspiring so far..

Especially liking the ring mod, the FM, the noise and the resonance - basically anything that adds a swoosh, a grind/grit and A sweep sounds great here.

The effects have been good so far - the delay can be subtle and adds space, the chorus and phaser are mellow and vibey and everything has wet/dry...

My go to synths are usually Repro and Pigments.

This fits in really nicely as a stranger alternative - it’s a real playground.

I expect I’ll get to grips with what it can do in time / but it feels like one of those synths with a lot of hidden depths...

I’ve purchased it.

Jet Set wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:52 pm I’ve purchased it.
But not at full price. :wink:
Jet Set wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 am
At 75 bucks with the survey code I just had to jump on it...
$75 would be at the upper range I'd pay for it but at least it would make me think about it. At $199 there's nothing to think about at all.

I'd repurchase a DIVA license for that amount. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dermage wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 pmBigger/more responsive knobs and more range/sensitivity/detail when turning them.
You do understand, don't you, that the size of the knob graphic has little or no bearing on it's sensitivity to mouse movement? It might seem like it does, it's very easy to fool your brain, but it's just a perception.
Also the Unison sounds great.
Unison always sounds great!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The physical instrument has patch points on the back. Does this emulation have them?

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 am The physical instrument has patch points on the back. Does this emulation have them?
Yes, there are on the back of your computer screen.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 am
dermage wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:10 pmBigger/more responsive knobs and more range/sensitivity/detail when turning them.
You do understand, don't you, that the size of the knob graphic has little or no bearing on it's sensitivity to mouse movement? It might seem like it does, it's very easy to fool your brain, but it's just a perception.
It was a listing, not that sensitivity and size are the same, but both contribute to my imagination it's less fiddly. And bigger knobs with higher sensitivity let me perceive I can more easily adjust them. Perception, GUI and resulting workflow is pretty important for me.

Unison is not always implemented good. Sometimes it's done differently (sometimes worse), and I think it's worth a mention here, that it's great.
Last edited by dermage on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On a computer, the bigger the radius of a dial, the more accurately one can adjust it with the mouse pointer clicked on the perimeter.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Nope. Unison on some synths sounds absolutely terrible.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:34 pm
Nope. Unison on some synths sounds absolutely terrible.
+1

wow, the CPU hit with 8 voices and unison is huuuuuge

SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

How about the KKK?

Return to “Instruments”