Similar alternatives to Hybrid 3 for digital sounds

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! Leaving all the vintage analog emus behind, I am looking for an alternative to H3.

I am looking for modern, cutting edge sounds but in a simple package like H3.

3 VA ocs with included fx etc would be nice. Not so much into wavetables but I guess its everywhere now.

H3 is pretty good as such but the GUI enveloppes are a bit tricky etc. and am sure I could find a superior alternative (more modern).

I did have quite a lot of mileage out of V-Station but it also had major shortcomings with filter enveloppes and a few glitches here and there.

There seems to be a good offering on the hardware side (NL, Virus, System 8, Radias etc) although 2 oscs for most part but I can't find something as high quality in software with 3 oscs.

I know about Rapid, Spire etc but it's seems very much wavetable and/or sample based. Something a little more straightforward would be nice

Hive or Sytem 8 by Roland? I think the latter could fit quite nicely: modern, no wavetables, straightforward....129 dollar lifetime license...
Last edited by abi on Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hybrid has quite a special sound. :) Just wished that they'd release a Hybrid 4 which fixes some of the shortcomings (bad wavetably sound quality, unison leads to monophony, bit fiddly envelopes you say...).

For modern cutting edge sounds, I'd recommend Massive X, if your computer can handle it (it can be quite a hog).

yul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:12 pm There seems to be a good offering on the hardware side (NL, Virus, System 8, Radias etc) although 2 oscs for most part but I can't find something as high quality in software with 3 oscs.
How about Viper, the "kind-of-software-Virus"?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470486

Thanks guys! So many wavetables synths with 2 oscs! I'll check out S8 just to be sure although 3 oscs would be nice!

[/quote]
How about Viper, the "kind-of-software-Virus"?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470486
[/quote]

Hey thanks I find this one a bit suspicious just the way it got built up over time I wonder how good it is compared to actual "commercial" synths. I will check it out!

yul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:22 pm I find this one a bit suspicious just the way it got built up over time I wonder how good it is compared to actual "commercial" synths. I will check it out!
Well, it IS a commercial synth (€89) and quite good at that. Just the dev is one guy working on it :)

yul wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm Thanks guys! So many wavetables synths with 2 oscs! I'll check out S8 just to be sure although 3 oscs would be nice!
You can add another oscillator in the effects in Massive X, FWIW. :)

I bought Hybrid 3 for 4€ two days ago and if you add a wave shaper ... :tu: :D

Bazille's oscs technically aren't VA but they can do similar things through phase distortion.

DS Thorn ?

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... thorn.html

( Even though it's a great synth don't pay the full asking price, they'll have a sale at some point)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

clipnotic wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:36 pm I bought Hybrid 3 for 4€ two days ago and if you add a wave shaper ... :tu: :D
I thought about buying it, but that GUI...

For $5 you can't put up with the Hybrid GUI ? It's a great synth with a very unashamed digital sound. I've probably done a couple of hundred patches since I've owned it so it's not impossible to work with just not very comfortable.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:48 am For $5 you can't put up with the Hybrid GUI ? It's a great synth with a very unashamed digital sound. I've probably done a couple of hundred patches since I've owned it so it's not impossible to work with just not very comfortable.

True it's actually very pleasing to the eye. It's really not that bad except that I am using a 3rd party mouse app for the fine tuning otherwise I have to use the keyboard ctrl key.. really no big deal.

I am just wondering ir there would be anything "better" it doesn't seem all that simple. Only contender is Virsyn Tera 3 which I own but don't use (abandonware, some minor bugs)

Cheers

Viper

Return to “Instruments”