What are some synths that sound amazing but the factory presets could be better?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For example... Diva sounds amazing but factory presets are kind of blah and not really inspiring imo. I've purchased some 3rd party presets for it that had a lot more life compared to the sounds it comes with. I'm curious if the community feels this way about other synths.
Last edited by JiggSaw on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purely subjective topic. I love an awful lot of Diva's factory presets, say.

one ping only.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 pm Purely subjective topic. I love an awful lot of Diva's factory presets, say.
Yeah.. very true and depends a lot on the style of music as well. Just wanted to hear some opinions. No right or wrong answers.

JiggSaw wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:06 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 pm Purely subjective topic. I love an awful lot of Diva's factory presets, say.
Yeah.. very true and depends a lot on the style of music as well. Just wanted to hear some opinions. No right or wrong answers.
The majority of DIVA presets are great, and the free ones you get from the community are mostly good as well!

To answer your original question.
IMO, "Tone 2" et al. Great synths and sound, but I get the feeling one needs to be really high on Molly to enjoy the majority of their presets.

I know some synths were it's precisely the opposite. Some shiny factory presets that makes the trance and mainfloor guys jizz in their pants, but when you start tweaking these synths you'll appreciate your u-he's twice as much :party:

I dont want to name examples ... because ... kvr, you know :hihi:

Tone 2

Not that their preset are necessarily bad, just their sounds and aesthetic are generally far from mine.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 pm I love an awful lot of Diva's factory presets, say.
I liked TUC's presets so much that I tried to find music he made.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

DSI Prophet 12

Pigments. Many “meh” presets in it, but the synth itself is beyond amazing.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Pigments 2 - a lot of similar meh sounding presets

Dune 3 - a lot of nonsense arpeggiated presets drenched in delay.

Both have superb synth engines, though.

There are many, but from those that I have:
Harmor
Matrix-12 V
Buchla Easel V
Synthi V
Nemesis
RayBlaster

I don't know, but I like a lot the presets in u-he and SA synths. Sure not all! But I can find always what I need or want with minimum editing :)

Largo. Very nice synth, really like it. But the factory presets are...

Interestingly it was the third party banks that drew me into Zebra. Took awhile for me to grow to like the Factory Bank (and they are tons of HS banks that I love otherwise).
For me Legend and OBsession, not that they they are many good patches in the factory set, but I don't think they do the synths heritage justice.

I also suspect that it might be awhile for me to grow into Rapid's factory bank, not that they are bad, just for me they are very Bright and EDM oriented for the most part.

Ooh Definitely the original factory bank for the Synth Squad from fxpansion. I didn't like them at all. Took Electric Himalaya's Third party bank and of course Cypher2/Strobe2 factory presets for me to really like those synths.

Whilst indeed they are many factory patches in a few Tone2 synths that aren't my cup of tea, too many of them have patches by BigTone and Himalaya et al that make up for that for me.
rsp
sound sculptist

Omnisphere.

Return to “Instruments”