Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

I maybe being stupid with this as I'm currently learning Presonus Studio One. I'm finding I drag out Anacreon and create a track for it then configure to use one osc direct to main out. I then configure a simple midi event and set it to play and it there is no output. If I change the tracks output to a different VST it plays back fine?

@boomt - looks like you might have a VST in front of Anacreon eating up the midi signal - try removing it so that only Anacreon is on the track and go from there. I'll see if I can get a copy of presonus so I can test. See below for edited screenshot:
boomtdebug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@boomt - looks like Presonus Studio One 5 Prime isn't available for Windows 7 and I don't have a Windows 10 machine running in my studio.

If it starts to look like a bug and not just a learning curve issue with the DAW / if we can't get it working in the next couple of days, I'll see what I can do to get some sort of Windows 10 install going so I can test along with you!

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:39 pm @boomt - looks like you might have a VST in front of Anacreon eating up the midi signal - try removing it so that only Anacreon is on the track and go from there. I'll see if I can get a copy of presonus so I can test. See below for edited screenshot:
boomtdebug.png
It still does the same with the second instrument removed. I only had it there to switch the track output between the 2 instruments to prove to myself that the midi should be getting the plugin selected.

Hopefully this is just a user error problem.

@boomt - what version of studio one are you on? I think studio one version 4 might run on windows 7 for me to test with.

@Erich It's Studio One 5.0.2

@boomt I've managed to recreate the issue on studio one 4 - it looks like I'm sending midi to the VST but nothing's coming out the other end. I'm going to do some research and try attaching a debugger... Makes me wonder if Studio One is nonconforming to VST3 standards.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

@resistent I'm still dealing with the bug that boomt found - very strange issue! I'm sure I'll be chewing on this one for a while anyway. Please don't stress yourself on my behalf - I hope you have an awesome rest of your October and that all that you are juggling stays in the air!

Heya @Erich just seeing how things are going with Anacreon? Hope you are are all well and good?

RE: 24dB/Octave and 12dB/Octave (filters)

Most synths I've seen have switches to choose 24 or 12dB filters. How does Anacreon do it?
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

@boomt Things have been crazy these last few weeks! I've been feeling a little off kilter / foggy when I sit down to program recently. I, like many programmers, have some cyclical mood issues that cause me to have bursts of productivity followed by depressing lack of productivity. Unfortunately, I'm also grasping at straws because StudioOne is giving me very limited info when I try to debug. I'm considering reaching out to the devs at PreSonus to see why their DAW is reacting differently from other DAWs, then following up with a huge dose of caffeine and a can-do attitude!

@pough The 24dB/oct outputs are l2, b2, h2.
The "12dB/oct" outputs are l1, b1, h1, but they're not true 12dB per octave outputs. Instead, I tuned them by ear / played with the algorithm until I had a shallower cutoff and a satisfying sound. l1 and h1 are pretty much 12db/oct, but b1 is asymmetrical (steeper slope on the left than on the right) because it honestly just sounds better to me!

All of l1, b1, and h1 have thin resonance peaks like a 24dB filter instead of the wider peaks associated with lower order filters. Each of these outputs tap into the same core algorithm that gets processed once and shared amongst them - this algorithm is natively a 24dB/oct ladder filter simulation (hence the compromises in the 12dB filters). You can widen those peaks a little bit via the drive parameter as well as mixing in some of the b1 output to more closely approximate the sound of a standard 12dB/oct filter.

To choose between a 24dB/oct and 12dB/oct lowpass, swap the cable between l2 and l1 - same deal for bandpass and highpass. You can also consider using the "mult" area to mix between them to get some really interesting sounds.

If you're a mad scientist, you can blend filter outputs like above, but feed the mixed output back into the filter inputs for some weird (potentially very loud) sounds. If the filter crashes and doesn't recover, just undo the problematic patch and let the note die (check release time) - it should automatically check for a filter crash and reset itself.

Erich.Pfister wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm @pough The 24dB/oct outputs are l2, b2, h2.
The "12dB/oct" outputs are l1, b1, h1, but they're not true 12dB per octave outputs. Instead, I tuned them by ear / played with the algorithm until I had a shallower cutoff and a satisfying sound. l1 and h1 are pretty much 12db/oct, but b1 is asymmetrical (steeper slope on the left than on the right) because it honestly just sounds better to me!
Well... now I know why any of my patches with filtering sound un-balanced. I was using 1 and 2 as L and R.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

@pough that would definitely explain it - for stereo filters, just use two filters! I do that a lot with my supersaw / trance lead patches.

Any progress sorting out the StudioOne issues or is this project dead?

Return to “Instruments”