Anacreon Synthesizer | Anacreon 2.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Anacreon

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:13 pm
Thank you! I would not have thought of that on my own.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:11 pm Then I heavily recommend you to study git submodules a bit. They are really useful once you get the hang of it.
I'm doing so now. As a lone dev, I've rarely had use for anything other than simple pull and push to a single master branch as a backup, which is why I'm behind the times on this.

ahanysz wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:05 pm By the way, I don't think I've seen someone live-blog a VST development like this before. It gives us a better insight into how hard the developers work to get all these amazing plugins to us!
I'm just aiming for transparency / trying to make my troubles public in case someone else runs into the same problems down the line - I'm glad you find it interesting!

falkTX wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:11 pm Then I heavily recommend you to study git submodules a bit. They are really useful once you get the hang of it.
I have the submodule thing figured out well enough, but I'm running into this error: (I'm probably making an idiotic mistake, my apologies if this is some sort of make 101 question)

PS C:\Users\Erich\source\repos\Nekobi> make
C:/ProgramData/chocolatey/lib/make/tools/install/bin/make.exe -C dpf/dgl
make[1]: Entering directory 'C:/Users/Erich/source/repos/Nekobi/dpf/dgl'
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
make[1]: [Makefile:163: ../build/dgl/Application.cpp.o] Error 1 (ignored)
"Compiling src/Application.cpp"
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can't create ../build/dgl/Application.cpp.o: No such file or directory
In file included from src/../Application.hpp:20,
from src/ApplicationPrivateData.hpp:20,
from src/Application.cpp:17:
src/../Base.hpp:31:27: fatal error: error writing to -: No error
31 | #define END_NAMESPACE_DGL }
| ^
src/Application.cpp:80:1: note: in expansion of macro 'END_NAMESPACE_DGL'
80 | END_NAMESPACE_DGL
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [Makefile:165: ../build/dgl/Application.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory 'C:/Users/Erich/source/repos/Nekobi/dpf/dgl'
make: *** [Makefile:15: dgl] Error 2

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

falkTX wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:57 pm huh I actually dont know, this is on windows with chocolatey which I have never used before.
what terminal is this? just the windows console?

I know it works under msys, I used that before a couple of times.
Sorry I rarely run windows, so cant help much here.

On Windows I think you will have much better luck with cmake rather than makefiles.
I dont use cmake myself on DPF, the support comes from a contributor, but you should be able to get DPF itself with the examples working on MSVC or other IDEs that support cmake.

62f7234b9e5b7476.png

The DPF cmake definitions are at https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF/blob/dev ... ugin.cmake

So you typically would have your CMakeLists.txt like this:

Code: Select all

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.7)
project(MyPlugin)

add_subdirectory(DPF)

dpf_add_plugin(MyPlugin
  TARGETS lv2 vst2 vst3
  UI_TYPE opengl
  FILES_DSP
      src/MyPlugin.cpp
  FILES_UI
      src/MyUI.cpp)

target_include_directories(MyPlugin PUBLIC src)
I got it to build - turns out Choclatey make isn't as descriptive as MSYS2 make. The error turned out to be that I got DPF updated as a submodule but forgot to get pugl-upstream updated as a submodule of the DPF submodule.

Now, for whatever reason, Nekobi causes Ableton Live to crash as a VST3. I'm going to try to find the debug symbols and walk through it.
abletoncrash.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

falkTX wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:57 pm
Can you recommend an example plugin that is working fine as a VST3 for me to build next? I just realized that the Nekobi plugin doesn't have VST3 binaries on your site, while VST2 and EXE run fine - could you let me know if you have had successful VST3 runs with this plugin?

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 am I dont quite recommend to use the VST3 at this point. Specially if using the individual repositories.
That said, give https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF-Plugins/ a try which includes the whole set from my side. Nekobi likely was referencing old DPF commit, I updated the DPF-Plugins repo just now.
Assuming the build goes well, binaries will appear in https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF-Plugins/ ... 1324970968

Worth nothing that if the VST2 runs fine, the VST3 eventually will too.
It is just that my VST3 implementation is still WIP. Do you have a time frame in mind for releasing your plugin?
falkTX - my timeframe isn't rushed at the moment. I would like to fix the VST3 implementation myself if possible. I've been digging through the makefile structure and there doesn't seem to be anything defined to pass a custom compiler argument, just wanted to check for existence before I modify the library to include a custom flag variable. I'd just like to pass -traceback to gcc to see if that helps with the VST3 segfault issue.

Last edited by OBSOLETE160530 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falkTX wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:18 am You dont need to modify anything to build with extra compiler options.
Just use the typical environment variables - CFLAGS for C code, CXXFLAGS for C++ code, LDFLAGS for link stuff.
DPF respects those.
my knowledge on these things is so gappy, I didn't even know that those were normal environment variables. Thanks for your help!

BTW I saw the debug variable and set it to true, but it's still not catching the entry point... maybe I need to catch it when ableton launches. I'm thinking of cloning Carla and loading host and plugin symbols simultaneously in GDB if possible.

Good to see you back in stride, Erich. It's always sad to see softsynth projects being abandoned or stranded, so it's nice to see Anacreon being still developed.

BTW, I've been recently reading a book about Ancient Greece and I came across Anacreon at one point, instantly thought of your synth. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”