/* whitenoise */

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

resistent wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:12 pm
resistent wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:09 pm List your three favourite software synths which are made up from scratch and are no emulations or samplers
My votes (no order)

Zebra²
Aalto
Surge
Absynth
Aalto is inspired on the buchla , not exactly a 1:1 recreation but still
I'm not sure. How close is Aalto to Buchla stuff? Ofc the way of generating/shaping sound is
Buchla-esque but I think it's a Buchla as close as a subtractive synth is a moog clone?
Everything in aalto screams buchla except the svf .
Hell . Even alessandro cortini uses aalto
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

/* whitenoise */

First off, it should be "not a direct copy of", as a good 90% or more of the types of synthesis available right now were hardware first, so of course software synths will be inspired by hardware to some degree as the Aalto argument points out. Plus samples as part of synthesis is too big of a thing on computers to ignore. I get wanting to stop people from choosing ROMpler style synths, or samplers, but hybrids like Falcon? Reaktor? I think that's too broad of a stroke to paint.

Falcon
Absynth
Sculpture
Zebra 2
Reaktor

The Grid looks to be a winner too, when I get around to using it. :clown:

My Top 3 in this category (at the moment).
1. Alchemy
2. Sculpture
3. Dune 3
Last edited by Cinebient on Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

My TOP 5 (subject to revision, since I just listed from those I remember):

1. Falcon
2. HALion
3. Zebra
4. Pigments
5. Blue 2

With honorable mentions to Rapid, Hive, Rhino, Helix, Loom II, Gladiator, Electra2, Icarus, Absynth, ArcSyn, Harmor, DUNE, Sytrus, Diversion and Thorn. And if modulars are allowed, VCV and Voltage Modular of course.

Alchemy and Sculpture would make to my list anytime, IF they were real products (which they aren't, since they are just part of the Logic code).

I also left Reaktor out since I don't consider it a synth, but rather a synth development platform. B
Last edited by fmr on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

resistent wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:43 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:34 am
resistent wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:15 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:12 pm
resistent wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:09 pm List your three favourite software synths which are made up from scratch and are no emulations or samplers
My votes (no order)

Zebra²
Aalto
Surge
Absynth
Aalto is inspired on the buchla , not exactly a 1:1 recreation but still
I'm not sure. How close is Aalto to Buchla stuff? Ofc the way of generating/shaping sound is
Buchla-esque but I think it's a Buchla as close as a subtractive synth is a moog clone?
Everything in aalto screams buchla except the svf .
Hell . Even alessandro cortini uses aalto
You talk about structure and the way sounds are generated. Furthermore. you talk about a brand. Which buchlar synth is aalto?
Dude , seriously I said Aalto was inspired on a buchla and the developer made no secret about it , simple as that
Quote from website

Aalto’s sound engine lets you create sounds that have been difficult or impossible to make with softsynths before now. The heart of Aalto is a Buchla-inspired complex oscillator, with FM, timbre and waveshape controls that enable a wide range of expressive sounds. These sounds are uniquely malleable and alive, in part because they are made with dynamic calculation, not static wavetables.

unquote
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

aalto
abl3
reaktor 6
synthmaster 2

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm Dude , seriously I said Aalto was inspired on a buchla and the developer made no secret about it , simple as that
Quote from website

Aalto’s sound engine lets you create sounds that have been difficult or impossible to make with softsynths before now. The heart of Aalto is a Buchla-inspired complex oscillator, with FM, timbre and waveshape controls that enable a wide range of expressive sounds. These sounds are uniquely malleable and alive, in part because they are made with dynamic calculation, not static wavetables.

unquote
I know I'm being a pedant, but you can use the actual quote system here.

So something like:
If you want to get even more into it, add the name in, in this case

quote="Madrona Labs" <- with brackets around it.
Madrona Labs wrote:Aalto’s sound engine lets you create sounds that have been difficult or impossible to make with softsynths before now. The heart of Aalto is a Buchla-inspired complex oscillator, with FM, timbre and waveshape controls that enable a wide range of expressive sounds. These sounds are uniquely malleable and alive, in part because they are made with dynamic calculation, not static wavetables.

There should be a seperate forum area with all that "absolutely important" lists! And this one is really hard to answer, because I don't know the developers of all that software synths I have and if they were influenced from other synths, as they programmed them, or not? But I can say, that meanwhile I can do everything with software synths, because all of them together can do, what all hardware synths I had could and much more! :D

Wasp (Orion)
Thorn
Union

With those three synths I reckon I can do anything, although it's nice that I don't have to restrict myself like that and can use whatever I bloody well like. If you took away the restriction on emulations, I'd definitely add Korg's ARP Odyssey to the list. I don't really need it but it's awesome nonetheless. I'd also add Mono/Fury for it's ease-of use and low CPU hit.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Image Line GMS
SynthMaster
Rob Papen Predator 2
Old and forgotten synth: Z3TA+2
We come and goes anyway.

Serum (if only it had some great analog style filters)
Harmor
Bazille

And for the novel approach, I have to mention the very interesting Soundemote stuff like Radar Generator and Nyquist Generator. Not the most versatile, user friendly, or beautiful interface-wise, but very interesting nonetheless! These don't get enough attention.

TAL-Mod
Massive X
Sugarbytes Factory

Return to “Instruments”