Plugins like the JD-990?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am There's some weight and presence not otherwise attainable.
define...

AnX wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 amsynth1
No way man!!! Steinberg NEON has that "special" voodoo black magic on its output like the JD-990 that you cant replicate with anything else in the entire universe.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

jeremycsf wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am A few people have recommended this synth to me to get a particular glass pad sound I'm looking for (#18, "glass voices": https://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm).
I'd say take a Bell Sample with a slow attack, layer it with some Organ. Maybe throw a low choir or vox sound underneath. FX to taste.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Overflow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am Nothing sounds like a JD-990. Not even Omnisphere. JV-1080 also doesn't sound like JD-990 even in hardware form. Roland did some magic in the output stage there that they didn't do in any other hardware unit they ever did afterwards. There's some weight and presence not otherwise attainable.

I own one. Would not ever sell it.
Indeed. Two synths I do regret I've sold in the past - JD-990 with analog expansion board and Ensoniq FIZMO.

p.s. I do own Omni as well. Beautiful synth. Tons of inspiration, but it's not like the mighty 990.
and neither are as gorgeous as NEON with it's groovy car 8-track player
solid oak wooden enclosure. :love:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

The Patch 18 - Glass Voices is complex if you ask me.

I can hear several Voices/Layers what is typical for late 80s/90s so called "ROMplers", Vector Synths and what ever they were called.

Long Story short: try Rob Papen Vecto https://www.robpapen.com/Vecto-vst.html

It comes quiet close if you ask me.

BTW I´m focussed on Sounds like this and I can tell you that you CAN do Sounds like that with other Synths, too - even with VSTs - but it´s a long long way. There´s lots of Knowledge and Effort behind many Details (Wavetables and so on) ;-)

GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:52 pm it´s a long long way.
Not really. If I knew exactly what tones or elements were used in the JD990 patch I could replicate it quite easily in XPand!2 for example. Anything that allows you to layer samples and has a decent sample set.

It's a pretty common type of sound from the 90's.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 amOmnisphere is getting a bit long in the tooth, though, isn’t it?
No. The last major update (2.6) was just over a year ago.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 pm
jamcat wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 amOmnisphere is getting a bit long in the tooth, though, isn’t it?
No. The last major update (2.6) was just over a year ago.
I was thinking Atmosphere, which was released in 2002 and is discontinued.
I just checked out Omnisphere and realized for the first time they are different products.
Omnisphere looks really cool. It's like a full fledged workstation synth, which is pretty unheard of in a VSTi. It's actually just what I've been looking for for pads and such.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Not really. If I knew exactly what tones or elements were used in the JD990 patch I could replicate it quite easily in XPand!2 for example. Anything that allows you to layer samples and has a decent sample set.

I have to warn you - you´re running into a Discussion that might get bloody in the End.

To make a long Story short: Just Stacking won´t help, especially not XPand - and the JP as well as e.g. the Wavestation had superior Abilities concerning Movement/Flexibility that make an essential Part of their Sound/Impression. I´d rather take DUNE or worse - although all that won´t help with the Frequency Response.

But I know what you mean for sure. That is the basic Principle since the Mother of Om-Sound - the Prophet VS. Those 4 Osciallators. Everywhere and everybody. Even today ;-)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 am Nothing sounds like a JD-990. Not even Omnisphere. JV-1080 also doesn't sound like JD-990 even in hardware form. Roland did some magic in the output stage there that they didn't do in any other hardware unit they ever did afterwards. There's some weight and presence not otherwise attainable.

I own one. Would not ever sell it.
Yes, the JD-990 is one of the best sounding Roland Synths. I used to own one in the 90's. Sold it a long time ago, I wish I didn't :(

Anyways... Are you using a software editor to edit it, or just manually editing it ?

I also remember the Reverb on the JD-990 was awesome !

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Overflow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:47 pm Indeed. Two synths I do regret I've sold in the past - JD-990 with analog expansion board and Ensoniq FIZMO.
I own both :party:
Lucky you! :)

jamcat wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:35 am I was thinking Atmosphere, which was released in 2002 and is discontinued.
I just checked out Omnisphere and realized for the first time they are different products.
Omnisphere looks really cool. It's like a full fledged workstation synth, which is pretty unheard of in a VSTi. It's actually just what I've been looking for for pads and such.
As far as I can tell, Omnisphere is just the evolution of Atmosphere. I never used Atmosphere (I remember being interested, but it was way too expensive for me at the time), so I don't know how much they actually have in common, but Omnisphere still has the original Atmosphere presets in its library.

This review of Omnisphere 1.0 mentions Atmosphere being discontinued and replaced with Omnisphere. Looks like they rewrote the entire audio engine. But they must have kept it feature-compatible to be able to bring the Atmosphere library forward.
Stormchild

GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 am
Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm

I have to warn you - you´re running into a Discussion that might get bloody in the End.

To make a long Story short: Just Stacking won´t help, especially not XPand - and the JP as well as e.g. the Wavestation had superior Abilities concerning Movement/Flexibility that make an essential Part of their Sound/Impression. I´d rather take DUNE or worse - although all that won´t help with the Frequency Response.

But I know what you mean for sure. That is the basic Principle since the Mother of Om-Sound - the Prophet VS. Those 4 Osciallators. Everywhere and everybody. Even today ;-)
Did you actually listen to the sound in question in the original post ? You might want to try that before you get in any deeper:
jeremycsf wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am a particular glass pad sound I'm looking for (#18, "glass voices": https://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm)

That sound is the point of discussion and if you can't reproduce that sound with a plugin like XPand!2 then you might want to pick a new hobby.

It's a dead common rompler sound from the 90's. I still have four romplers in my rack from that time period and I've been doing sounds like that for decades.

Don't over think it... :wink:

Yeah, the Glass Voices sound actually could be reproduced pretty easily with an organ, a little ADSR tweak, and some resonance. Nothing else to it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Muziksculp wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:43 amAnyways... Are you using a software editor to edit it, or just manually editing it ?
Actually front panel editing of JD-990 is super easy because there are a lot of shortcuts, and also there's a "together" mode per page where it lists all parameters of a particular section for all 4 partials at once, so you can easily tweak stuff across partials... It's really well thought out.

That said, I do have MIDIQuest and also use that.

Return to “Instruments”