Plugins like the JD-990?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 am
GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 am
Teksonik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm
GRUMP wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:52 pm it´s a long long way.
Not really. If I knew exactly what tones or elements were used in the JD990 patch I could replicate it quite easily in XPand!2 for example. Anything that allows you to layer samples and has a decent sample set.

It's a pretty common type of sound from the 90's.
I have to warn you - you´re running into a Discussion that might get bloody in the End.

To make a long Story short: Just Stacking won´t help, especially not XPand - and the JP as well as e.g. the Wavestation had superior Abilities concerning Movement/Flexibility that make an essential Part of their Sound/Impression. I´d rather take DUNE or worse - although all that won´t help with the Frequency Response.

But I know what you mean for sure. That is the basic Principle since the Mother of Om-Sound - the Prophet VS. Those 4 Osciallators. Everywhere and everybody. Even today ;-)
Did you actually listen to the sound in question in the original post ? You might want to try that before you get in any deeper:
jeremycsf wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am a particular glass pad sound I'm looking for (#18, "glass voices": https://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm)

That sound is the point of discussion and if you can't reproduce that sound with a plugin like XPand!2 then you might want to pick a new hobby.

It's a dead common rompler sound from the 90's. I still have four romplers in my rack from that time period and I've been doing sounds like that for decades.

Don't over think it... :wink:
A ROMpler sound is not just just a ROMpler Sound as well as a ROMpler is not just like any other ROMpler. But it´s OK if that´s all the same for you. I don´t want to question your Perception.

I have quit using XPand after a Week and I am 100% on Headphones btw. ;-)

The Main Difference between back then and today (XPAND and better) is i. m. O. that they were passionate People who have spent lots of Time on what they did and battled to be the best - just like those Motown Guys or the Commodores for Example [...]. And me - personally - anybody may gladly have a different Point of View on that Topic - I am absolutely convinced that you can hear that very very well. The Hipsters call this Phenomenon "Vintage" ;-)

For those liking Xpand, how about Structure? I have Xpand, it's great but wouldn't say it could do all of what the JD could. I am wondering about Structure..

GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 am as well as a ROMpler is not just like any other ROMpler. But it´s OK if that´s all the same for you. I don´t want to question your Perception.
Thank you Captain Obvious :tu: Of course each Rompler is different due to the difference in sample content and architecture. The Piano in my Roland JV880 sounds different than the Piano in my Korg O3R/W and they both have samples that are unique to the particular unit as all Romplers did and still do. :wink:
GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 amA ROMpler sound is not just just a ROMpler Sound
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :shrug:

Look I'm not saying XPand!2 is a replacement or emulation of the JD990 at all nor am I saying it's the best rompler plugin on the market. What I am saying is plugins like Xpand could replicate the incredibly simple sound in the OP fairly closely if not spot on. It depends on if you could increase the attack time on the bell sample. XPand only exposes a few parameters for each sample layer.

Perhaps if someone who still owns a JD-990 could post what tones were used in that patch it would be easier to replicate it in short order.

The JV-1080 Roland Cloud has been mentioned which is the best bet for emulating a JD-990 but my point is if one doesn't want to sign up for the Roland Cloud there are alternatives for those types of sounds. Again obviously you can't fully emulate any hardware Rompler without the exact sample content and architecture.

GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 amI have quit using XPand after a Week and I am 100% on Headphones btw. ;-)
The Main Difference between back then and today (XPAND and better) is i. m. O. that they were passionate People who have spent lots of Time on what they did and battled to be the best - just like those Motown Guys or the Commodores for Example [...]. And me - personally - anybody may gladly have a different Point of View on that Topic - I am absolutely convinced that you can hear that very very well. The Hipsters call this Phenomenon "Vintage" ;-)
Now you're just rambling off topic....... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:15 pm
GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 am as well as a ROMpler is not just like any other ROMpler. But it´s OK if that´s all the same for you. I don´t want to question your Perception.
Thank you Captain Obvious :tu: Of course each Rompler is different due to the difference in sample content and architecture. The Piano in my Roland JV880 sounds different than the Piano in my Korg O3R/W and they both have samples that are unique to the particular unit as all Romplers did and still do. :wink:
GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 amA ROMpler sound is not just just a ROMpler Sound
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :shrug:

Look I'm not saying XPand!2 is a replacement or emulation of the JD990 at all nor am I saying it's the best rompler plugin on the market. What I am saying is plugins like Xpand could replicate the incredibly simple sound in the OP fairly closely if not spot on. It depends on if you could increase the attack time on the bell sample. XPand only exposes a few parameters for each sample layer.

Perhaps if someone who still owns a JD-990 could post what tones were used in that patch it would be easier to replicate it in short order.

The JV-1080 Roland Cloud has been mentioned which is the best bet for emulating a JD-990 but my point is if one doesn't want to sign up for the Roland Cloud there are alternatives for those types of sounds. Again obviously you can't fully emulate any hardware Rompler without the exact sample content and architecture.

GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 amI have quit using XPand after a Week and I am 100% on Headphones btw. ;-)
Now you're just rambling off topic....... :?
All fine. I´m concerned with those little Differences at the Moment. Listeing to Hardware Demos. Analyzing them. Spectrogram and so on. Pretty annoying with the Time, although Mr Synthmania makes me smile always again (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7iSLOy5i4)

What I really meant was "listen again closely". XPand "oscillates" somewhere between muddy and soaked in Reverb, while you can read E.P.´s Signature on the JD Sounds if you listen closely.

I´ve answered many Questions already - but there´s something with the Harmonics/Partials that slowly makes me believe in Aliens ;-)

thankfully, plugins have advanced since the jd series....

AnX wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:19 pm thankfully, plugins have advanced since the jd series....
:tu: :D

GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 pm What I really meant was "listen again closely". XPand "oscillates" somewhere between muddy and soaked in Reverb, while you can read E.P.´s Signature on the JD Sounds if you listen closely.
Yes if you soak a patch in reverb then it will sound like it is soaked in reverb. No one is going to argue that XPand's samples are among the best available. But for a plugin that often sells for $15 it's a inexpensive alternative for recreating the types of sounds found in early 90's romplers. I was able to replicate the Glass Voice patch fairly closely in Xpand. Oddly enough the hard part was finding the right subtle Organ sound that's under the "glass" sound of the slow attack bell sample. Once again the subject I'm talking about is that patch and that patch alone. No one is comparing Xpand to the JD-990, just reproducing that patch which as I say is a pretty simple sound.
GRUMP wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 pmI've answered many Questions already - but there´s something with the Harmonics/Partials that slowly makes me believe in Aliens ;-)
You haven't answered any questions at all but if you want to spend your days analyzing synths with a scanning electron microscope that's fine. :tu:

I prefer to use them and enjoy them for what they are........ :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

clipnotic wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:57 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:19 pm thankfully, plugins have advanced since the jd series....
:tu: :D
Indeed. Out of the box the JD-990 only had 6 megabytes of samples. In these terabyte times that's absolutely nothing but they were able to squeeze some pretty impressive sounds out those old romplers back in the day.

I rarely power mine up these days but they still hold some cool sounds. :tu:

As I had the JD-990 many years ago, I wanted to program a pad sound from a old song and I had to use the JD-990 Exciter effect on maximum to get that sound halfway present in my track. I had many romplers from the 90s and at the moment I'm using the Triton VST and it's retro fun, but compared to current software, it has no chance, because time really has changed!

Yet very few of them can do hardsync on samples like JD-990 could. :D

I have absolutely no idea what that is....

Hard sync just like you do on an analog or virtual analog synth. Just with whatever sample that's in there.

so, hard syncing samples
who knew? :lol:

im assuming you mean cycles? ie zero point crossover?

rather than, the sample starts at the beginning (because im sure a few do that...)

Well, some samples (like vintage synth waveforms) are literally a single cycle, so then it works like actual hardsync...

Return to “Instruments”