RG-1 - Virtual Analog (up coming synth)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXekjJRHPNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDE0YkYuIk

Code named "RG-1" is an idea for a synthesizer i have been working for roughly 5 years, being most the time dedicated to develop and tune the oscillator structure.

"RG-1" is a Virtual Analog Synthesizer that combines a unique wave form state transition with extreme Frequency modelations capabbilities

Oriented for flexibility, the each of the 3 oscillators can provide extremely sonic complexity due to its unique schematic.

Having the majority of its DSP modules running in assembly language (credits to Flowstone community) the plugin can achieve an absurd level of audio fidelity at moderate / minimal cost.

The plugin have been sucefully tested and running, being the next development step the creation of a universal modulation unit.
Last edited by Cosmo Circle on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

osx version?

Thanks. Will give it a spin.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

If I may say, it looks like a SynthEdit synth from 10 years ago :wink:
I wonder if there is still demand for such a simple synth, there are lots of those out there already. Unless its sound is so good that it blows Synapse Audio, Xils, Tal, U-he, etc. out of the water :)

hivkorn wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:52 am osx version?
No, this is being developed using Flowstone, and it only supports windows for now.

If a plugin sounds different in a different DAW, you're doing something wrong. Also the CPU used doesn't matter sound-wise. :)

e-crooner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm If I may say, it looks like a SynthEdit synth from 10 years ago :wink:
I wonder if there is still demand for such a simple synth, there are lots of those out there already. Unless its sound is so good that it blows Synapse Audio, Xils, Tal, U-he, etc. out of the water :)
Your being direspecfull, but for the sake of not turning the topic toxic i want to clarify the following:

1. The plugin is being made on flowstone, not synth edit, despite i have tryed synthedit in the past and i think either of the environments can output excelent plugins, because its allways the matter of the idea and not how its achieved.

2. The oscillator in this plugin took me 5 years to develop, not 5 minutes, and if i wanted a plugin to have the same functionality or sound than any other tools i allready have avaliable out there for free or cheap, i certainly wouldn't waste lots of my free time doing this, even if i love to experiment with audio DSP.

3. The user interface and the oscillator are designed for being simple, its not the case of using simple looks because of innability to create stuff more complex, its just a matter of choice.

4. I didn't do any claims regarding the sound and neither i compared the sound with any other major released synthesizers, or audio developers, to not even say its a bit stupid to try to demotivate anyone to develop or release something just because you assume it won't match the level of quality of those mentioned.

In other words, you were trying to say...

"this doesn't seem likeanything new... we don't need more plugins"

Which would be a perfectly fine opinion, if you actaully reviewed the plugin sound, usability, performance etc etc, but you didn''t, which automatically makes you someone who just wants to be unpleasant.

Now... for the sake of defend my self without even do any claims if the work i put into this was worth it or not, and since aparently no one in this forum seems to have interest in this.

I will just showcase a video where i am at least having fun with it...

So to all intentions and purposes at least i have fun with it..
Last edited by Cosmo Circle on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ima interested in testing it out, as soon as am at my machine.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Cosmo Circle wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:09 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:42 pm If I may say, it looks like a SynthEdit synth from 10 years ago :wink:
Your being direspecfull, but for the sake of not turning the topic toxic i want to clarify the following:

1. The plugin is being made on flowstone, not synth edit, despite i have tryed synthedit in the past and i think either of the environments can output excelent plugins, because its allways the matter of the idea and not how its achieved.

2. The oscillator in this plugin took me 5 years to develop, not 5 minutes, and if i wanted a plugin to have the same functionality or sound than any other tools i allready have avaliable out there for free or cheap, i certainly wouldn't waste lots of my free time doing this, even if i love to experiment with audio DSP.

3. The user interface and the oscillator are designed for being simple, its not the case of using simple looks because of innability to create stuff more complex, its just a matter of choice.

4. I didn't do any claims regarding the sound and neither i compared the sound with any other major released synthesizers, or audio developers, to not even say its a bit stupid to try to demotivate anyone to develop or release something just because you assume it won't match the level of quality of those mentioned.

In other words, you were trying to say...

"this doesn't seem likeanything new... we don't need more plugins"

Which would be a perfectly fine opinion, if you actaully reviewed the plugin sound, usability, performance etc etc, but you didn''t, which automatically makes you someone who just wants to be unpleasant.

Now... for the sake of defend my self without even do any claims if the work i put into this was worth it or not, and since aparently no one in this forum seems to have interest in this.

I will just showcase a video where i am at least having fun with it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCi_9pY ... e=youtu.be

So to all intentions and purposes at least i have fun with it..
That's what one gets for trying to be subtle... :?
At least I did reply instead of ignoring your thread (probably for the same reasons I mentioned).

I don't have anything against SynthEdit or Flowstone, I used to use SE stuff a lot before I went 64 bit.

I don't know anything about DSP, but if the oscillator already took you 5 years to program, will your synth ever be finished? Especially since you say it is pre-alpha now, which sounds like an extremely early stage to me.

This project have received some updates with the entire DSP structure/schematic being now complete and stabilized, allowing me to implement modulations nad re-organizing the UI.

The following video showcase a test run on FL Studio 20 with the VST-2 x64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5SaGJKrGiA

What I hear sounds really promising, the oscillators seem powerful as Hell. Can't wait to hear all the different things this little beast can do.
Please don't leave us with 8 presets or so thinking "they'll do whatever they want with the synth", this just never works.
As far as I'm concerned, when I meet this kind of synth, with minimum presets to show its potential, my first thought is : OK, this synth can do nothing amazing, next.
I think this is how it works when you have so many different choices on the market. :shrug:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

The oscillators sound pretty cool.

Hope there are lots of modulation options in the final synth.

Cosmo Circle wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:30 pm
hivkorn wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:52 am osx version?
No, this is being developed using Flowstone, and it only supports windows for now.
Bye bye

Half-serious bit of advice: :D

Dear developers; before you release a piece of software to the public, please take a minute to research if the name (or a near-identical one) has already been taken by a potentially competing product.

At first I thought this thread was about an update to Rob Papen's RG; but then again, it would be neither "virtual analog" nor "upcoming"...

Another related case in point: I'm still having a hard time remembering which one of the "Blue"s is the RP synth and which one is the tonewheel organ, the moment Rob comes up with version 3 of Blue is when you'll hear my head exploding, wherever you are.

Just kidding, much love to Rob and Ray and best of luck to Cosmo Circle; keep up the good work.

--
Marco

Never heard about RG-1 or this thread, this is the first time. It sounds good!
I don't think you should give up, just look how Phuturetone's GR-8 achieved great appraise around here (but I agree with DJErmac, you need a fair number of good presets. And if you could find some time to improve the GUI, that would be cool as well. GUIs are often underestimated by developers)
Keep going!

Return to “Instruments”