FigBug
KVRian
788 posts since 3 May, 2005 from Victoria, BC

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:32 am
FigBug wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:24 am
Serum is $189, almost the same price as Logic. but way less effort to create.
Are you saying that Steve Duda has as much development manpower as Apple? :P
No, I'm saying he has way less, but charges pretty much the same price.

chk071
KVRAF
30619 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:09 am

As I said, prices don't at all reflect the amount of work put into the product.

I have to say that your comparison isn't really fair though. 1. You picked one of the most inexpensive softwares by 2. a big company which doesn't rely on revenues from the niche market music production, and 3. it takes a single person much, much longer to develop software than a big team.

Again, though, the price depends on what people are willing to pay. Serum is too expensive for me too, in the sense of "I don't want to pay that much for a software synthesizer.". Thought a couple of times about renting to own it, but, I don't know really... it's still 189 €, no matter if I pay them at once or on monthly installments.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

FigBug
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:18 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:09 am
I have to say that your comparison isn't really fair though. 1. You picked one of the most inexpensive softwares by 2. a big company which doesn't rely on revenues from the niche market music production, and 3. it takes a single person much, much longer to develop software than a big team.
I could have picked FL Studio that starts at $99, Reaper $60, Waveform $199, Studio One 5 Artist $100.

Sure it takes an individual longer, but they only have their own salary to cover. A big team could do it faster, but then there are more salaries to cover and total greater cost to recoup.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:23 am

You could have even picked Cakewalk by Bandlab which costs nuthin'. :) But, that's just part of the equation, when Bandlab wants to convert you into a Bandlab service user. Or Image-Line wants to tease its big versions. Or Cockos charges you $225 for a full commercial license of Reaper, when you actually make a living of your music. Or Presonus, who want to sell you Studio One Pro.

Etc.

I don't see how any of this really matters though, because, for a third and last time. A price is determined by the market. Otherwise iPad soft synths wouldn't be sold for chicken feed.

FigBug
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:26 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:23 am
I don't see how any of this really matters though, because, for a third and last time. A price is determined by the market. Otherwise iPad soft synths wouldn't be sold for chicken feed.
That's what I said, I don't know why you think I'm arguing with you.

e-crooner
KVRAF
3488 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:32 am

chk071 wrote:
You could have even picked Cakewalk by Bandlab which costs nuthin'. :) But, that's just part of the equation, when Bandlab wants to convert you into a Bandlab service user. Or Image-Line wants to tease its big versions. Or Cockos charges you $225 for a full commercial license of Reaper, when you actually make a living of your music. Or Presonus, who want to sell you Studio One Pro.

Etc.

As long as you are a nobody and don't earn money with your music, your Reaper license is much cheaper. And once you are good enough and do make money with your music, you can easily afford the full price, which covers two main versions I think, i.e. 4 years or so.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:47 am

FigBug wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:26 am
chk071 wrote:
That's what I said, I don't know why you think I'm arguing with you.
Fair enough.

e-crooner
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:52 am

I have never used an iPad. Are those cheaper tablet synths simpler than the PC versions?

chk071
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:02 pm

e-crooner
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:32 pm

chk071 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:02 pm
No, in many cases, they're 1:1 copies. They just cost 1/10 of the desktop versions. :)

Some examples:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech ... pad-598074

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/nave/id596036905

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/isem-synt ... d673921187
Do iPads have ASIO? Are their CPUs strong enough to handle a DAW and plugins?

Seems that developers are forced to charge so little. From your first link:
"It must be a strange feeling for major developers to have to price their iOS synths so much lower than their direct desktop equivalents, but their loss is very much our gain, as this essential app proves."

chk071
KVRAF

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:43 pm

Not necessarily a loss, as you don't know how many apps they sell on iOS, opposed to desktop. If they sell 10 times as many soft synths, it's pretty much the same.

iOS doesn't have ASIO. Mac OS uses Core Audio, I don't know if that's also available for iOS, or if it uses something different. Regarding the CPU's, they're definitely not on par with desktop CPU's.

FigBug
KVRian

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:59 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:32 pm

"It must be a strange feeling for major developers to have to price their iOS synths so much lower than their direct desktop equivalents, but their loss is very much our gain, as this essential app proves."
You can see latency tested for a bunch of different iOS / Android devices here: https://superpowered.com/latency iPads tend to be around 7 - 9 ms depending on hardware / software version.

iPad CPU is similar to a 4-core Intel Core i7-1068NG7 in performance. So it's similar in performance to a current mid range laptop CPU.

clipnotic
KVRian
702 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

SoundHunterrr wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 am
Does this happen often:
You buy a synth (the ones with more high range price). And later you want buy preset packs for this synth, but you see the preset pack is same price as some other FULL synth. Do you buy a new synth and not the preset pack?

Somebody suggested Ana2 here in forum, and I see it is same price (or even CHEAPER!!) than some preset packs. And after demo it sounds nice and is guite nice to use (not best to use but nice). I was just thinking do people often think they go buy preset pack but end up buy a new synth? What was your synth you did buy after this way/do you like it?
I often buy also the presets from synth developers, because they show me directly the strengths. But there are some developers, which are thinking, they can ask for prices like 60 Euro for a soundbank and before I pay so much money, I compare with stuff I still have and alternatives. I get daily many offers per email, because over the years I subscribed to many newsletters and for 60 Euro you can get really very much good stuff today, because every day are sales somewhere. But some months ago, I also bought one synth expansion, because I wanted one sound and that's a sample sound, I can't reproduce. So it depends on what you want and how much money you have.

e-crooner
KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:05 am

FigBug wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:59 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:32 pm

You can see latency tested for a bunch of different iOS / Android devices here: https://superpowered.com/latency iPads tend to be around 7 - 9 ms depending on hardware / software version.

iPad CPU is similar to a 4-core Intel Core i7-1068NG7 in performance. So it's similar in performance to a current mid range laptop CPU.
OK, thanks. For one or two plugin tracks that might be enough.
But I suppose a laptop computer can take a heavy load for a much longer time, iPads are not even cooled, right, judging from their flatness?

DJJD2021
KVRist
40 posts since 21 Feb, 2021

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Was reading through this post so thought i'd resurrect it as it's an interesting topic :) for me it's a combination of a slight tweak on presets or leaving the preset samples as they are and create my own bass / leads. A few sounds i'm happy to sonically change completely but rarely do so

Return to “Instruments”