Goodbye Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

McLilith wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:02 pm When I first saw this thread's title, I wondered if Roland had abruptly shut down their cloud services! :o
i wondered who roland cloud was and why he was leaving? :shrug:
actually disappointed we didnt get an interesting tale regarding a young man going off to seek his fortune.
oh well.
Last edited by vurt on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:05 pm
McLilith wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:02 pm When I first saw this thread's title, I wondered if Roland had abruptly shut down their cloud services! :o
i wondered who oland cloud was and why he was leaving? :shrug:
actually disappointed we didnt get an interesting tale regarding a young man going off to seek his fortune.
oh well.
it reminds me of an Elton John parody....

raiderpdog wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:40 pm
i wondered who oland cloud was and why he was leaving? :shrug:
oh well.
it reminds me of an Elton John parody....
Someone needs to write a ballad inspired by Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", with the lyrics "Goodbye, Roland J. Cloud" in the chorus. Naturally, it tells the colorful story of a man named Roland Cloud and laments his departure. :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

I have had a few issues with the stupid authorization system. But that’s not a deal breaker for me because the Juno-106 and the System-8 are worth occasional headaches.

Am i right thinking Roland have now dropped the "own 1 plugin forever if you subscribe for a year" thing?
Only a few days ago i was tempted and downloaded Roland Cloud to demo

They have a strange definition of owning... They could abandon your „ownership“ any time if they want to...
A software either needs to be open source or if you get it to authorize inside a virtual machine without contacting the developer you could actually own it. I guess I own Diva and the Madrona Labs synths...
Some only need contact once for authorizing a machine - I can live with that...

I agree that if you're pulled into a subscription it needs to be flawless.

A couple of things I'm looking for:
- ease of use, easy authorization
- offline capabilities
- broad offering, full package and not one by one sub per instruments or effect
- fair price
- continuous updates

Well, Roland Cloud is all of that. Needs work for stability (for some....I've not had a single problem) but it hits every one of those things you've listed.

Goodbye Roland Cloud.
and It seems to me that your deal ain't right
so it's landed in the bin.

discogsaddict wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 pm Am i right thinking Roland have now dropped the "own 1 plugin forever if you subscribe for a year" thing?
Only a few days ago i was tempted and downloaded Roland Cloud to demo
I asked their support a few months ago and this is what they responded with, but you may want to write to them yourself to make sure:

Yes, the loyalty program is still in effect if you purchase an Ultimate level membership.

Regards,
​Travis

It doesn't seem to mention it on this page, unless I am missing it somewhere:
https://www.roland.com/us/promos/about_ ... embership/

i wondered who roland cloud was and why he was leaving? :shrug:
Roland Cloud man. The self-proclaimed god of the internetz.

What is the "Lifetime Key" in Roland? Does that mean I still need to use the RolandCloud or does the Lifetime Key mean I will get some sort of serial key to open the synth I purchase (so no need for online/cloud)?

Tannaliini wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 am What is the "Lifetime Key" in Roland? Does that mean I still need to use the RolandCloud or does the Lifetime Key mean I will get some sort of serial key to open the synth I purchase (so no need for online/cloud)?
The day those servers are shut down your lifetime key will be worthless.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Tannaliini wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 am What is the "Lifetime Key" in Roland? Does that mean I still need to use the RolandCloud or does the Lifetime Key mean I will get some sort of serial key to open the synth I purchase (so no need for online/cloud)?
You still need to use the RC but don’t need to be a subscriber.

it means you are able to regret for a whole lifetime.

Return to “Instruments”