Komplete 13, ladies and gents

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 am

A world class drummer! That would be an aspiration. I don't need more aspirations atm (i think).

I'm not a drummer. I like different sound of drumkit each song. (electronic songs)

I make dance music songs for use in my own DJing. It would be comical if all my songs have the same one drumkit!

KVRer
2 posts since 15 Feb, 2021

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:28 am

_leras wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm
ralphsc wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 am
Right now I don't see a reason to update from Komplete 11. I'm afraid a subscription model will be the future, it just makes sense from a developer's perspective. Constant, predictable revenue. From the POV of the customer, on average, you pay more. For example I have an Adobe subscription and I feel like I've given them more money since they changed to this revenue model.
I'm surprised the DAW developers haven't done it yet... thankfully..
from Komplete 11... at least all this.. Guitar Rig 6, Reaktor 6, Kontakt 6, Super 8, Monark, Polyplex, DrumLab, some decent fx

Quite a few DAW developers effectively do have a subscription plan e.g. Cubase, you may as well upgrade as you don't really save anything by missing an update.

Some of the questions suggested NI were looking at more of a split out offering - not completely sure how this would help them really. I answered in the survey that true, I do not use everything, probably the same as everyone - but - it's nice to know there is a bunch of stuff there I can draw on if I wanted too.
Except for Guitar Rig 6, Super8, Kontakt6 my Komplete 11 has all the things you mention. And honestly, I don't see the value in upgrading these.

User avatar
KVRAF
3211 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:46 am

@ralphsc: Don't forget Massive X (and much more), unless of course you skipped it (them) intentionally. ;)
Never imagined we would get to play with toys in adulthood. :)

User avatar
KVRian
969 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:52 am
pixel85 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 am
I have never been tempted to upgrade to Komplete Collectors Edition.
I bought it and thought it's good value because i wanted 1000 Battery drumkits in my genres/styles. I thought it's good value for the drumkits, and everything else i get with it is a bonus! At sale price i can't remember exactly but it was at most 25p-30p per drumkit for 1000+ drumkits. I don't even know where else to get lots of electronic drumkits from!

Also i got Komplete Select from a Maschine Jam. I'd wanted to try the Maschine software. It worked out at about £40 for the Maschine Jam! (which i now use for Bitwig)

I'll probably update to 13 when the summer sale.
Did ypu went even through half of them? I didn't even check all Kits from basic Komplete and I have it for years :D

What I meant is that orchestral libraries are not that tempting in the biggest Komplete bundle because there are other libraries in similar price - if someone is interested only in those kind of samples of course.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:32 am

I know what you meant :) I was just saying why i got it, not saying that you should get it!

Sorry to quote for your attention, i wasn't thinking.

Yeah i have been through most of the drumkits. I think i got from A to about T. (so far in 2 years). I'm making my own drumkits using the NI drum sounds atm with Atlas. (i haven't got most of Komplete installed atm cos i'm using a basic temporary computer). I'm not disappointed with the value for money from KUCE (for me!)
If i upgrade to 13 when the summer sale it won't be for more drum kits! I think the sale price will be about £200 and i've looked at what i get (not interested in more expansions) and i think it's easily worth £200.

User avatar
KVRAF
5274 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 am

If its 200,- I’ll wait for Komplete 15...

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:42 am

I bought Battery 3 by release many years ago and mapped it's samples in my DAW sampler, because at this time I could do there much more with them, as in Battery. Meanwhile I have also 800 GBs samples from other sample providers and thousands of drumkits there and I don't use that Battery samples anymore. The only samples from NI I rarely use are from their Synthetic Drums 1 and 2 collections. Today you get drum kits in sample packs for 10-20 Euro and also loop kits with stems and so on.

User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am

I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.
That depends on the sample packs you're buying, there are millions available at the moment for every genre from thousands of labels. To find the good packs I mostly buy just one pack from a label first on sale to test their quality ...

User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am

clipnotic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.
That depends on the sample packs you're buying, there are millions available at the moment for every genre from thousands of labels. To find the good packs I mostly buy just one pack from a label first on sale to test their quality ...
I noticed that NI expansions are a very good quality of drum shots. ;)

Actually in fairness ZTechno have great drum shots. Apart from that i use Wave Alchemy and i use Samples From Mars. I have enough to keep me going.

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am
clipnotic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.
That depends on the sample packs you're buying, there are millions available at the moment for every genre from thousands of labels. To find the good packs I mostly buy just one pack from a label first on sale to test their quality ...
I noticed that NI expansions are a very good quality of drum shots. ;)

Actually in fairness ZTechno have great drum shots. Apart from that i use Wave Alchemy and i use Samples From Mars. I have enough to keep me going.
Yes, ZTekno has some interesting sounds and Mars is a good example how cheap good sample packs can be today, they often have good sales for their whole assortment. I have almost everthing from both labels and still use them. But meanwhile I also found much better stuff especially for techno genres ... 😉
Last edited by clipnotic on Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
1982 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 am

clipnotic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am
clipnotic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.
That depends on the sample packs you're buying, there are millions available at the moment for every genre from thousands of labels. To find the good packs I mostly buy just one pack from a label first on sale to test their quality ...
I noticed that NI expansions are a very good quality of drum shots. ;)

Actually in fairness ZTechno have great drum shots. Apart from that i use Wave Alchemy and i use Samples From Mars. I have enough to keep me going.
Yes, ZTekno has interesting sounds and Mars is a good example how cheap good sample packs can be today, they often have good sales for their whole sortiment. I have almost everthing from both labels and still use them. But meanwhile I also found much better stuff especially for techno genres ... 😉
ZTekno! That's it with a "K", glad you remembered properly. I've got a map of ZTekno drum shots on Atlas. I think i have enough more to make a 2nd map of ZTekno actually! Yeah i bought everything from Mars, which remind me they have some other stuff than just drums which i haven't looked at yet. I got recommended about Samples from Mars by somebody on this forum (monkeygenius), i hadn't heard of it but i was very happy to discover because they have some fantastic funky drum machine samples :D

User avatar
KVRian
686 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:04 am

One problem I have with ZTekno is, that their acid / synth loops mostly just rise the filter up, but not back down. But happily I can program my own ... 😀

KVRAF
2049 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:49 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've not been impressed by many of the drum one-shots in sample packs. It seem like more of the same old same old to me. Some of NI kits are absolutely shit hot imo.
I can understand that perspective to a certain extent. Personally I think it’s an extension of what’s happening in music itself.

For example, how many songs out there use an 808 kick, bass too, especially nowadays. Sure you can filter it, as some eq, compression, a bit of distortion, but at the end of the day an 808 is an 808. There’s some variation, but most of it is just subtle iterations of that same small number of variations. The same applies to any other instrument.

Of course, that’s mostly the point, though. Change your sound too much and it no longer sounds like an 808. In some cases that’s a good thing, but in the case where it can be argued that the 808 is an important part of the genre it will impart a different vibe than what the person is looking for making it unsuitable.

So at the end of the day, because most people are fashion and genre driven we’re pretty much only going to get those basic 808 variations with subtle differences. It’s not just the 808, the same is true for any instrument. Change a guitar sound too much and it is no longer “metal enough” for another genre.

Where NI is concerned, I think they should be partnering up with really diverse artists with diverse styles, more than just the usual hip-hop/EDM. If the styles were to vary wildly, so too would their sound sets.

In an unrelated topic, I find it really interesting that their patches only tend to cover Massive, Monark, Battery, and Prism. In all this time they don’t really seem to have expanded on it. Not even Razor or Super 8. Asides from the Massive X specific soundsets. Well, not that I have seen at least.

User avatar
KVRAF
4112 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:59 am

Ohh, my trance track made with Massive X + Kontour, Action Strings, Emotive Strings, Session Strings + Damage and Battery 4 just got accepted by the label :)
So it's not impossible to make use of everything Komplete has to offer.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”