Chromaphone 3 - what will it be ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That, plus AAS now recommend dropping the number of voices from 16 to 8 to counter CPU issues

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:08 pm That, plus AAS now recommend dropping the number of voices from 16 to 8 to counter CPU issues
Oh FFS. This company needs new management.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:08 pm That, plus AAS now recommend dropping the number of voices from 16 to 8 to counter CPU issues
Yeah, just that it didn't help for me, even if I change down to 4 voices. On some patches, the CPU jumps to 50% and once I turn knobs while playing the meter flies well into the 100s and I get horrible crackling and glitching. I have a i7-10750H with 64gb DDR4 ram, so I don't think that's right...

AAS needs to improve the high CPU usage via an Update ! They have released an inefficient Instrument. They need to fix it.

Telling us to use 4 or 8 voices is not a solution. It's still a CPU guzzler, and AAS know it is not an efficient instrument.

gondii wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:02 pm
danielh02 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:47 pm Anyone else getting crackling/distortion when pitch bending?
What does the CPU meter read when you experience the crackling?
Live 10:
No pitch bend: 29%
Pitch bend: 70 to 100%

Studio One 5.1:
No pitch bend: 27%
Pitch bend: 60 to 100%

This is just with a single note. 2 notes w/pitch bend and they both easily spike to 100%.

(Windows 10, BTW)
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

I'm on Live 10 / Windows10 as well. So yeah, it's overloading the CPU and that's where the crackling and distortion is coming from. They 100% need to fix this asap.

If it's only spiking one CPU thread and you're using a bi-timbral preset (i.e. one with 2 different layers), duplicate the track with the instrument in and turn off the B layer on the first track and the A layer on the second track and it should help. That helped with Reaper, but didn't with Bitwig because Bitwig automatically spreads the CPU cost over multiple threads.

Are you safe?

Thanks I haven't tried that, good for a temporary solution. Also dropped an E-Mail to support just now.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:50 pm If it's only spiking one CPU thread and you're using a bi-timbral preset (i.e. one with 2 different layers), duplicate the track with the instrument in and turn off the B layer on the first track and the A layer on the second track and it should help. That helped with Reaper, but didn't with Bitwig because Bitwig automatically spreads the CPU cost over multiple threads.
Well, so their main new "feature" is unusable and you could do the same just with Chromaphone 2 :dog:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I raised the issue with them the day it came out and they seemed to suggest it was an issue with how certain DAWs work. An argument like that will work if it's only affecting some rando DAW not Live and Reaper ffs.

I think multi-timbrality in soft synths is complete bullshit anyway, it's only of benefit to people who sell presets. No-one else gives a shit.

Are you safe?

Yeah, modulation of certain targets brings it totally to it's knees and overall CPU use is pretty extreme when using two layers...
Windows 8.1 x64/Bitwig Studio, 6core i7 @ 4.1GHz...
The VST2 is slightly lighter it seems, but not by much.

And I do not understand why they don't seem to use two cores for the two layers. Those should be totally independent from each other, so the usual problems with sync of cores shouldn't happen...
As it is, I can hardly use it, with many sounds, I can't even play 2 voices and modulation goes crazy even with one.
And that really hurts... :-(

Weird, since in String Studio 3 I have no such problems with modulation and can actually use it as MPE instrument with the Bitwig Instrument Selector device nicely...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Btw about cpu usage, when i did grab String studio upgrade to v3, i compare it (was some suspicion) with v2 face to face with identical setting, and really v3 had more cpu usage at the same preset - 9% vs 16% (again - not more layers\voices etc in v3 - all the same config). That was a bit sad opening.
(If will interest I can say name of the preset and the bank on which I checked)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:10 pm Well, so their main new "feature" is unusable and you could do the same just with Chromaphone 2 :dog:
It seems that way..

I'm not having that problem with Chromaphone 2...

I layer C2 with other instruments for tonal texture....

It's time for AAS to learn a few new tricks and not keep recycling the same old routines :wink:
No auto tune...

i kinda get the 2 layer/timbre thing for String Studio and Ultra Analog, but i think it doesn't make any sense for Chromaphone. Hopefully they don't do it to Lounge Lizard too.

If i happen to use one of their presets and it has two layers I always split it into 2 instances. Sometime into 4 different instances in UA, because there's already 2 groups of filters and envelopes per voice anyway. Cos there's almost ALWAYS some annoying overpowering element to the patch.
Multitimbral plugins are a bit of a head scratcher for me, just load a second instance. Surely it only serves a very few users? How many of you use plugins like Rapid etc, and actually use 8 different patches in one plugin? For playing live? i really don't get why developers do it. It's not hardware.

I like multi-timbrality here despite the fact that i don't care much for it elsewhere.
It's really easy to add another layer to create organic acoustic instruments (snare i.e., it's easy to make a body, or to make snares, it was annoying to make both with one layer)

i agree with people saying they should do something else as well tho.

Return to “Instruments”