UVI Synth Anthology 3 out

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
6063 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:00 pm

I recognize the price difference, although with IK sales it usually isn't that price and SA3 is actually $149. I don't find Syntronik confusing at all. It is FAR more powerful than people are giving it credit for. And I don't agree. I think the core Syntronik samples are superior. Significantly so.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

KVRist
418 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Here is the thing about synth anthology. You can hear the loop points. That is kind of bad. It is very faint, but I can hear them. That is the only thing that kind of sucks. Its really not all that bad, but man......You really shouldnt put something out without checking to make sure your seamless loop points arent audible

KVRist
196 posts since 27 Nov, 2017

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 pm

Totally agree Chipi, plus UVI's GUI (player or Falcon) is far more refined and a pleasure to work with. I own Syntronik but never use it. Can't get past their hideous browser/preset management system.

KVRAF
6063 posts since 5 Jul, 2001 from Just about .... there

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Alchemedia wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 pm
I own Syntronik but never use it. Can't get past their hideous browser/preset management system.
I agree on the browser part. I was the same. However, I decided to plow parts of the library one day and ended up liking a few things a lot. Then I just bit the bullet and started using it inside of ST4. Once you get some muscle memory it isn't as bad .. although it still isn't good. I just can use it successfully now. Now that I'm using it I'm kicking myself for not doing so earlier.

By the way, I'm not trashing SA3. I own it and I like it. I was just offering an option for those looking for a synth library preset collections. The two libraries sound very different, so my "preference" is obviously personal to my ears. I have no problem if others think SA3 sounds better. I use Falcon far more than ST4, so SA3 is likely to get used quite a bit.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

KVRist
32 posts since 25 Mar, 2020

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Alchemedia wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 pm
Totally agree Chipi, plus UVI's GUI (player or Falcon) is far more refined and a pleasure to work with. I own Syntronik but never use it. Can't get past their hideous browser/preset management system.
Exactly, I also used Syntronik two years ago when it came out, interesting how you can mix layers of sounds, etc but it sounds too ROMPLER, Synth Anthology v3 at least sounds more organic and warm, the Unison function is great and the reverb is monumental.

Some sounds have that soft loop in the tail and it is good, it is purposely since in the synthesizers of the 90's this way it was loopeated, also analogous synthesizers also produce that effect similar to the loop with the LFO, so that does not worry me at all.

The SA3 filter is excellent and the release also very natural, for $99 I can not ask more, if others sell sound and sample libraries that are crap for $199 right?

Hats off to this UVI product, let's hope v4 gives you the possibility to select the samples from the 'Main' module and that the effects can be selectively applied to the 'Sub' and 'Main' separately, that would be great. Using it in FALCON is out of this world. :tu:
Last edited by Chipi on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
384 posts since 26 Feb, 2007

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Chipi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Hats off to this UVI product, let's hope v4 gives you the possibility to select the samples from the 'Main' module and that the effects can be selectively applied to the 'Sub' and 'Main' separately, that would be great..... :tu:
Totally agree, would be great if UVI added that, +1000

KVRist
418 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:55 pm

I bought it, cant vibe with it, prolly gunna sell it on the FS thread soon

KVRer
27 posts since 7 Apr, 2014

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Went ahead and upgraded. Last minute video demos convinced me the new material was worth getting.
So glad I did! My earlier complaint about the vintage material not sounding authentic has been alleviated to a significant degree by simply turning up the MID control in the Equalizer FX.
Definitely liking many of the new synths on offer, the Sub-Osc additions are superb and the Sorted By Machines browser category has freed up some confusion I was having in SA2. Totally worth it if you like how this library sounds, so check out the demos.

KVRAF
1596 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:23 pm

I take it you cant just download the update, you have to download the whole library?

KVRist
196 posts since 27 Nov, 2017

Post Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Kinh wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:23 pm
I take it you cant just download the update, you have to download the whole library?
That's correct.

KVRist
32 posts since 25 Mar, 2020

Post Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Kinh wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:23 pm
Its not an upgrade, its a new version and has to be downloaded full around 14GB, lol

KVRer
27 posts since 7 Apr, 2014

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 am

I just recently went through all 3,500 presets and saved the uvip programs for any of them I liked and might use. I ended up picking 640, about 18% of the library's total size. This still feels like it was worth it, to me.
My Top 15 picks for synths in Synth Anthology(based on number of presets chosen):

1 Yamaha FS1R
2 Roland JD800/JD990
3 Korg M1
4 Korg Wavestation
5 Waldorf Microwave XT
6 Ensoniq VFX
7 Waldorf Q
8 Yamaha AN1X
9 Clavia Nord Lead
10 Alesis Andromeda
11 Sequential Six Trak
12 Prophet VS
13 Alesis Fusion
14 Oberheim Matrix-6
15 Kawai K5000

Most of those have alot of presets to choose from anyway. These 15 represent about 45% of my chosen set.

I mentioned earlier that imo the classic analogue entries are, for the most part, not very faithful in tone to their source. That said, I still chose 177 presets from that category that I felt were good enough to use. 106 of those were exclusive to SA version 3. A few such as the Dotcom modular, Moog Sonic 6 and PPG Modular sounded exceptional.
The effort to find these presets was imo worth it, but I do not believe a preset deep-dive is required to get good use out of this soundbank. I would recommend not adhering to any synth in particular, outside of the above top 15, although I would mention the version 3 entries are mostly of better sampling quality.

Return to “Instruments”