Vital - Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vital Vital Ascendant (Vital Content Pack)

Jkist wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:06 amSomeone said the synth wasn't for analogue sounds, and your response was "its a synth, it should be able to do all kinds of sounds". Well unless you are completely new to the world of synthesis, you would know there are many different types, and styles, and methods behind voicing the synths a certain way.
So why does it have three filters with multiple models, including one called "Ladder"? Use your tiny f**king brain and think for just one second. The filters are there, they should be useful. They are not. It's a simple fact. That it is a deal-breaker for me is, similarly, a fact. You can have another opinion if you like but you cannot possibly believe that a synth with three filters wasn't made to do subtractive synthesis. The fact that the Init patch defaults to a single "classic' waveform also suggests decent V/A sounds should be possible. But they are not, beyond a narrow range. This, again, is a simple fact. You can say you don't care but you cannot sit there and pretend that it was never meant for that. It is very clearly meant for that, it just fails. Quite badly. If you don't care, then it's not a problem for you, yet you feel the need to defend it anyway. It makes no sense.
It is for this reason many people own multiple synths, because where one synth is lacking, another may excel.
Do you believe that? To me it is more that some are easier for certain things, not that they aren't capable of them. If I thought any of the synths I use weren't able to do a good job of any kind of part I want to throw at them, I wouldn't be using them at all. Synths like that always end up being a curiosity, something you get a bit of use out of but soon move on from. I got a couple of great sounds out of Vital last night but nothing I couldn't as easily get out of Pigments or PhasePlant.
As for the filters being "not very good", they are perhaps a bit surgical and sterile sounding...maybe lacking character is a good word. But they are most certainly not bad.
no, they are bad. The resonance is extremely poor. Just look how far it has to be turned up in the Jupiter Bass patch just to get a little bit of squelchiness into the sound. Then turn up the Drive to give it a bit more oomph and listen to the resonance all but disappear. That's just bad filter design, even before you take into account the ladder style attenuation of the whole sound. I don't make this shit up, it's there for anyone to see for themselves.
Except functionally Vital CAN deliver. It supports that feature.
No, it doesn't because there simply isn't the level of resonance available to facilitate it. But feel free to prove me wrong and share a patch with us.
I would say where Vital excels is in how intuitive it is to use, and how much visual feedback there is.
Not as much as Pigments or Equator, both of which I already own and have mastered (to a point). So, again, why would I bother?
In a lot of synths, especially analogue-style ones, you get very little visual feedback.
That's because if you know what you're doing, you don't need it because you can hear what's going on and know intuitively how that was achieved. The extent to which visual feedback might be helpful is to point you to which LFO or envelope might be doing the thing you hear but Vital doesn't do that as well as Pigments or several other non-wavetable synths I can think of. It's about on par with PhasePlant in that department. In fact, it reminds me of PhasePlant A LOT, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what provided the inspiration/blueprint for Vital.
Plus Vital being free, I think its the best option out there for someone just getting into software synths. So there you go, thats why one would bother with it in my opinion.
As I did yesterday, I'd suggest HY-Poly Free is a much better option.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

So a synth without a decent filter is automatically a failure acording to Bones. That's odd, because Yamaha's DX7 had no filter at all and is one of the best selling synths ever.

Also, if every synth should be capable of creating the same sounds, why would anyone need more than one synth?

I guess I'm a clueless idiot :hihi:

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:17 am Use your tiny f**king brain and think for just one second.
:lol:

How is this ok? Someone come put a leash on their dog already, damn. How has this guy not been banned yet?

Bones I am going to try and be productive here, rather than sit and fight with you. Please, share a sound clip of something you've made from another synth, some sound, that you can't seem to replicate in Vital. I am curious what you are even trying to do, or what sound you have in your head that the Vital filters cant pull off. Sound clips please, let us help you help yourself.

Music (should) calm the raging beast...

Seven instances of Vital, factory presets, some tweeking, processing... soundscape...

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/vitality

Teksonik wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:49 am Two Oscs One Filter. Took sixty seconds to program.

Two Notes

Single Note Sweep

Filter Fall with Resonance
Thanks for the examples. I had not yet the time to step deeply in, just some minutes and on consumer headphones. Your examples support my first impression:
1.) The frequency seperation itself works well and fades in the higher frequencies in a nice way (what the 1st examples shows)
2.) The resonance sounds relatively poor, just a thin whistling instead of a flanging „wow“-sound, what 2nd and 3rd sound show well.

Reefius wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:20 am So a synth without a decent filter is automatically a failure acording to Bones. That's odd, because Yamaha's DX7 had no filter at all and is one of the best selling synths ever.
it didn't have a bad filter tho, it had no filter :wink:

Lets Matt fix all the bugs first. The synth has just been released. He can always add newer improved filters later as the synth developes. Many developers did it that way.
Last edited by Igro on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 am Music (should) calm the raging beast...

Seven instances of Vital, factory presets, some tweeking, processing... soundscape...

That sounds freaking awesome man, nice demo.

Damn, Bones collecting reported post just like Vital collecting email data from account registration.
musisikamar.com

AnX wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:36 am
Paree wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 am
Fortunately, people who are actually known in electronic music scene are loving Vital and that speaks for itself.
who?
Andrew Huang, Mr Bill, Dirtyphonics, Virtual Riot, Must Die, Pegboard Nerds and more
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

xamido wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:09 am Damn, Bones collecting reported post just like Vital collecting email data from account registration.
Good, it's exhausting, blocking quote replies from blacklisters can't come fast enough. Strong opinions are one thing, insulting other members you disagree with, constantly, is another.
Always Read the Manual!

Heres a cool little sound I made in just a few seconds using the analog -24db filter on top of a comb filter. Dead simple, but it sounds pretty awesome IMO. The filters may not be perfect, but there is still a lot of utility to be had!

Don't judge the mix, I literally threw XO over top with a simple beat for demonstration purposes.

https://youtu.be/eLcB0LN1HXc
Last edited by Jkist on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

AnX wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:35 am
Paree wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 am
Please make a metallic Dubstep growl in Diva with same precision as vital and I'll agree with you.

could you upload an example preset from Vital?

someone can then have a go

hoping to check vital out this weekend (pure WT synths are not really my bag, but not much else going on at the moment)

Not the best example but here you go
https://twitter.com/infektdubstep/statu ... 24483?s=19
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

plexuss wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:37 am Music (should) calm the raging beast...

Great!
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Return to “Instruments”