Vital - Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
170 posts since 30 Dec, 2008

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:49 am

One more feature req - make LFO speed in Hz option

User avatar
KVRAF
4374 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 am

I still don't get it, why opening the Vital's GUI takes instantly around 20% of CPU power (Default preset)? What can I do to improve it? Thank you.

User avatar
KVRian
507 posts since 31 May, 2015 from the Iberian Peninsula

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am

Igro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 am
I still don't get it, why opening the Vital's GUI takes instantly around 20% of CPU power (Default preset)? What can I do to improve it? Thank you.
Because it is graphics intensive, and if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, it will use the processor to compute the graphics. If you don't have dedicated graphics chip (you use Intel Graphics or whatever AMD equivalent), that's why.

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

175 posts since 28 Jan, 2013 from Oakland

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 am

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am
Because it is graphics intensive, and if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, it will use the processor to compute the graphics. If you don't have dedicated graphics chip (you use Intel Graphics or whatever AMD equivalent), that's why.
It doesn't technically use the CPU to render the graphics, but it does use the internal graphics card. There is some CPU overhead to draw the graphics (whether you have dedicated GPU or not) but it's lower priority than the audio code so shouldn't cause any audio issues.

Some people *do* experience DSP usage issues and I haven't tracked down the cause. It's possible the internal graphics card is heating up the CPU (which then gets throttled) but I haven't been able to get my hands on a computer that has this issue.

As a side note there are a bunch of linux users reporting high DSP usage but I think a lot of them didn't install using the linux installer and so didn't install all the dependencies, which causes Vital to use a lot more CPU. Once the dependencies are installed Vital runs normally.

User avatar
KVRAF
4374 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 am

Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am
Igro wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:08 am
I still don't get it, why opening the Vital's GUI takes instantly around 20% of CPU power (Default preset)? What can I do to improve it? Thank you.
Because it is graphics intensive, and if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, it will use the processor to compute the graphics. If you don't have dedicated graphics chip (you use Intel Graphics or whatever AMD equivalent), that's why.
My laptop does have a second Graphic card - AMD Radeon M360 (along with the Intels). In Power settings The Switchable Dynamic Graphics option is set to 'Maximize performance". All advanced settings are set maximum. I think that switching off the Intel Graphic card may help?

User avatar
KVRAF
4374 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 am

So, adding the Studio One and also Vital to AMD "processed apps" didnt help.
So instead of trying to make Vital working through AMD, I did the oppsite - make Vital to use Intel only. For that I set Switchible Graphics to "Force Power Saving Graphics".
Now the CPU for Vital shows 11 - 14%. That is 10% less? How could you expain this? :P

Added: I fined tuned this. I made so that Vital and Studio One use Intel only. And this saved 10% of CPU. So the problem is in how Intel and AMD work together? There is an 10% overhead when information goes to AMD through Intel?
Last edited by Igro on Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
388 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:26 pm

mtytel wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 am
As a side note there are a bunch of linux users reporting high DSP usage but I think a lot of them didn't install using the linux installer and so didn't install all the dependencies, which causes Vital to use a lot more CPU. Once the dependencies are installed Vital runs normally.
How can the dependencies impact the DSP usage? I see only these libs in .deb:

Code: Select all

 Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.17), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libsecret-1-0 (>= 0.7), libstdc++6 (>= 5)
And I think it just won't run without them.

User avatar
KVRAF
4374 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:28 pm

Double post

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

175 posts since 28 Jan, 2013 from Oakland

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Kott wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:26 pm
How can the dependencies impact the DSP usage? I see only these libs in .deb:

Code: Select all

 Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.17), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libsecret-1-0 (>= 0.7), libstdc++6 (>= 5)
And I think it just won't run without them.
Hmm I believe it should list libfftw3-3 also. Not sure why you don't see it. If you install that does it run better? It falls back on a much slower FFT library if it's not installed.

I'll probably switch to statically linked library for future versions.

KVRist
388 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Thanks, that make a sense. Is it uses dlopen() for fftw3? I'm gonna try to investigate that.

BTW, I compiled Vital from sources and still have had the big CPU usage. Limiting the framerate with GLSyncToVblank=true solves it sort of
https://github.com/mtytel/vital/issues/12

User avatar
KVRian
507 posts since 31 May, 2015 from the Iberian Peninsula

Post Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:20 pm

mtytel wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:50 am
Jorgeelalto wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am
Because it is graphics intensive, and if you don't have a dedicated graphics card, it will use the processor to compute the graphics. If you don't have dedicated graphics chip (you use Intel Graphics or whatever AMD equivalent), that's why.
It doesn't technically use the CPU to render the graphics, but it does use the internal graphics card. There is some CPU overhead to draw the graphics (whether you have dedicated GPU or not) but it's lower priority than the audio code so shouldn't cause any audio issues.
You are right, my bad, I meant the processor as in the integrated graphics.

Interesting that it still gives them a high CPU usage even if they have a dedicated GPU. I don't really know that much about this though...

KVRist
189 posts since 21 Jul, 2004 from Brazil

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:29 am

Hi!! could someone help me as i change the skin

KVRAF
1596 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:48 am

Is there an issue with the default skin? I like it and never had any issues as far as I know.

KVRian
987 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 am

killmaster wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:48 am
Is there an issue with the default skin? I like it and never had any issues as far as I know.
Not particularly but everyone has their personal colour preferences, so it's nice that plugins can be reskinned to suit.
Always Read the Manual!

KVRian
987 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 am

plauto wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:29 am
Hi!! could someone help me as i change the skin
Go to the Advanced tab and there's a dropdown menu at the bottom of the UI where you can select a skin or choose one from any location on your computer.
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”