Toybox Nano Pack Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
118 posts since 24 Dec, 2018 from France

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:43 pm

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:11 am
Image

Hey Guys

We just released the Nano Pack! :)

The pack features over 500 ultra high-quality, low CPU blocks designed for modern sound design.
INTRO PRICE $45.00 (normal price $64)
www.toyboxaudio.com
David
The new look of the Blocks is great ! You're mad :-)
Philippe

User avatar
KVRAF
2160 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 pm

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:51 pm
Blaster wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:41 pm
Cool. Will pick it up after next payday. Please email a reminder :D
It's in my diary :wink:
bharris22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Can you please explain more about how the TidalCycles-related blocks work? Do they run TidalCycles code?
You need to install and run the TidalCycles package (from here: https://tidalcycles.org/index.php/Welcome), normally you would use SuperCollider as a sound source to play back the Tidal Cycles patterns, but you can use the blocks instead of SuperCollider. Tidal Cycles communicates with the blocks via OSC messages. There are also blocks that you can use to send patterns from Reaktor back to Tidal Cycles, so you can modify patterns 'on the fly' using LFOs etc. It can get quite mad!

We are working on documentation, examples and videos for the the Tidal Cycles blocks, so these are coming soon, watch this space!
This is very interesting - thanks! I'm looking forward to learning more about this.

Just curious, and keep in mind that I know nothing about programming - if you can make Reaktor blocks that can play back TidalCycles patterns, could you make Reaktor blocks that could play Max or Max4Live devices (assuming you owned a Max license, of course)? Maybe there wouldn't be any benefit to doing this rather than within Live, but my guess is that if you could communicate with Max directly from Reaktor, it might be more efficient.

Gonna purchase tonight :).

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:22 am

bharris22 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 pm
Just curious, and keep in mind that I know nothing about programming - if you can make Reaktor blocks that can play back TidalCycles patterns, could you make Reaktor blocks that could play Max or Max4Live devices (assuming you owned a Max license, of course)? Maybe there wouldn't be any benefit to doing this rather than within Live, but my guess is that if you could communicate with Max directly from Reaktor, it might be more efficient.

Gonna purchase tonight :).
Yes! The tidal blocks use OSC (Open Sound Control) to communicate with Tidal Cycles. There are general purpose OSC input and output blocks in the Nano pack, you could use these to communicate with a Max4Live device to control things in Ablton, like launching clips etc. from a rack patch or vice versa.

We have been using OSC to control Bitwig from Tidal Cycles (which supports OSC through it's controller API), will post some documentation and a GitHub link soon.

User avatar
KVRAF
2160 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 am

Interesting - thanks. Now I need to jump down the OSC rabbit hole :).

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:49 am

bharris22 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:21 am
Interesting - thanks. Now I need to jump down the OSC rabbit hole :).
Nice, yeah email via the toybox website: www.toyboxaudio.com if you need help with the OSC blocks.

User avatar
KVRAF
2160 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:44 am

Thank you!

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:36 pm

Here's a video we just did, showing how to connect up a sequencer block, and then distorting and flipping around the 'position' signal that drives the sequencer's playback position:

https://youtu.be/tCrwPs8N6F8


User avatar
KVRAF
4612 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 am

I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 am
I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
The Nano Pack takes a different approach, the regular Toybox packs squash a lot of features into a single block for convenience, making the individual blocks versatile. The Nano Pack has a lot more blocks (over 500) which are smaller and use less CPU, so it's more flexible. But all the packs combine well together.

The Nano Pack started off as the LiveCore library, here:

https://github.com/freeeco/livecore

The Nano Pack sequencer blocks are basically LiveCore sequencer core-macros wrapped into a block.
Last edited by David@TOYBOX on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
9179 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 am

Quoting myself from the other thread:
bmanic wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:38 pm
Question to David:

Would it be possible to create a polyphonic version of the Vintage Sampler? I really miss polyphony in this thing as it would be so fun to trigger a few more voices.

I've successfully done it simply by cloning the module and routing up a lot of silly complex poly routing midi gates but it's such a cumbersome thing.

Combined with your Nano Pack polyphony stuff would it be feasible to update the Vintage Sampler (obviously the paid package) to include a polyphony capable version? Or am I missing something here? Is it already possible by hacking the module a bit?

EDIT: And to show my support I've just purchased both the Vintage Sampler and the Nano Pack of course! You've been more than generous with the freebies so it's about time I give you something back! :D

Cheers!
bM
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:59 am

bmanic wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 am
Quoting myself from the other thread:
bmanic wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:38 pm
Question to David:

Would it be possible to create a polyphonic version of the Vintage Sampler? I really miss polyphony in this thing as it would be so fun to trigger a few more voices.

I've successfully done it simply by cloning the module and routing up a lot of silly complex poly routing midi gates but it's such a cumbersome thing.

Combined with your Nano Pack polyphony stuff would it be feasible to update the Vintage Sampler (obviously the paid package) to include a polyphony capable version? Or am I missing something here? Is it already possible by hacking the module a bit?

EDIT: And to show my support I've just purchased both the Vintage Sampler and the Nano Pack of course! You've been more than generous with the freebies so it's about time I give you something back! :D

Cheers!
bM
Yes, it's not that difficult to make a polyphonic version of it. Email me (via the website: www.toyboxaudio.com) and I can maybe send you a polyphonic version to try out, if I have some time to do it)

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

246 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Here's a handy cheatsheet showing some basic functions of the Nano Pack blocks:

Image

KVRist
118 posts since 24 Dec, 2018 from France

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:24 am

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 am
I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
The Nano Pack takes a different approach, the regular Toybox packs squash a lot of features into a single block for convenience, making the individual blocks versatile. The Nano Pack has a lot more blocks (over 500) which are smaller and use less CPU, so it's more flexible. But all the packs combine well together.
I think that despite their fresh, simple look, and due to the split of features from one Block to multi, one must have a very clear understanding of what feature / module you need to do something. Good for learning, even it might be a bit more difficult at the beginning ? What do you think, David ?
Philippe

KVRAF
1891 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:21 am

p1afff wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:24 am
David@TOYBOX wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:50 am
gentleclockdivider wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 am
I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
The Nano Pack takes a different approach, the regular Toybox packs squash a lot of features into a single block for convenience, making the individual blocks versatile. The Nano Pack has a lot more blocks (over 500) which are smaller and use less CPU, so it's more flexible. But all the packs combine well together.
I think that despite their fresh, simple look, and due to the split of features from one Block to multi, one must have a very clear understanding of what feature / module you need to do something. Good for learning, even it might be a bit more difficult at the beginning ? What do you think, David ?
Been wondering the same thing and wondering if I should've gotten the regular Toybox set since they seem more understandable for me not having an easy time with modular in general.

Return to “Instruments”