Toybox Nano Pack Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

killmaster wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:21 pm
p1afff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:24 pm
David@TOYBOX wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:50 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:23 pm I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
The Nano Pack takes a different approach, the regular Toybox packs squash a lot of features into a single block for convenience, making the individual blocks versatile. The Nano Pack has a lot more blocks (over 500) which are smaller and use less CPU, so it's more flexible. But all the packs combine well together.
I think that despite their fresh, simple look, and due to the split of features from one Block to multi, one must have a very clear understanding of what feature / module you need to do something. Good for learning, even it might be a bit more difficult at the beginning ? What do you think, David ?
Been wondering the same thing and wondering if I should've gotten the regular Toybox set since they seem more understandable for me not having an easy time with modular in general.
I wouldn't say that the Nano Pack is harder to learn with than any of the other packs, the main thing making the Nano Pack a little overwhelming at the start is the number of blocks in the pack (around 500), you should try to figure out how to use some of the core blocks (Oscillator, Filter, Envelope, Mixer) and get to grips with just using those to build something simple like a basic, one oscillator synth, or a sequencer, then start to explore the other blocks as you get familiar with them.

If you are just starting out with Reaktor blocks I suggest to work your way though the links on the FAQ, here:

https://www.toyboxaudio.com/pages/faq

Starting at the top, this will help a lot. The 'getting started' guides use the Native Instruments 'Blocks Base' pack that comes with Reaktor, these are pretty easy to use blocks, so a good place to start out.

Then maybe take a look at the rack in the Nano Pack called "Basic Lead" -->

for an example of a simple 3 oscillator synth, this rack uses the basic blocks like the Oscillator, Filter, LFO, Envelope, Mixer etc.

It's a good example of a basic synth with all the typical elements. Just have a play around with it and try to figure out what all the connections do.

Let me know if this is helpful...
Last edited by David@TOYBOX on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:23 pm I am not sure if releasing another pack is a good idea , as there seems to be much overlap with the other bundles .
What is exactly new apart from the smaller size ( which is a boinus ) , why not just include in the other packs ?
The Nano Pack takes a different approach, the regular Toybox packs squash a lot of features into a single block for convenience, making the individual blocks versatile. The Nano Pack has a lot more blocks (over 500) which are smaller and use less CPU, so it's more flexible. But all the packs combine well together.
I think that despite their fresh, simple look, and due to the split of features from one Block to multi, one must have a very clear understanding of what feature / module you need to do something. Good for learning, even it might be a bit more difficult at the beginning ? What do you think, David ?
Been wondering the same thing and wondering if I should've gotten the regular Toybox set since they seem more understandable for me not having an easy time with modular in general.
But these Nano Pack Blocks could help for a better understanding about what does what exactly and what to use in what scenario... It might be like a L*go object deconstructed into its components.
Philippe

David@TOYBOX wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:56 pm
I wouldn't say that the Nano Pack is harder to learn with than any of the other packs, the main thing making the Nano Pack a little overwhelming at the start is the number of blocks in the pack (around 500), you should try to figure out how to use some of the core blocks (Oscillator, Filter, Envelope, Mixer) and get to grips with just using those to build something simple like a basic, one oscillator synth, or a sequencer, then start to explore the other blocks as you get familiar with them.

If you are just starting out with Reaktor blocks I suggest to work your way though the links on the FAQ, here:

Starting at the top, this will help a lot. The Getting started guides use the Native Instruments 'Blocks Base' pack that comes with Reaktor, these are pretty easy to use blocks, so a good place to start out.

for an example of a simple 3 oscillator synth, this rack uses the basic blocks like the Oscillator, Filter, LFO, Envelope, Mixer etc.

It's a good example of a basic synth with all the typical elements. Just have a play around with it and try to figure out what all the connections do.

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely do this and let you know.

David@TOYBOX wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Starting at the top, this will help a lot. The 'getting started' guides use the Native Instruments 'Blocks Base' pack that comes with Reaktor, these are pretty easy to use blocks, so a good place to start out.

Thanks for the response! I'll do this and let you know! Much appreciated.

Here's a cheatsheet showing the anatomy of a Nano Pack sequencer:

That video is super helpful and even a technically challenged person like myself can grasp it! So maybe this is a good choice to have it in more modular bite sized pieces! Thank you David! Really looking forward to more videos!

killmaster wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:06 pm That video is super helpful and even a technically challenged person like myself can grasp it! So maybe this is a good choice to have it in more modular bite sized pieces! Thank you David! Really looking forward to more videos!
Great to hear that! We are working on more videos this week and will post these asap.

For anyone just getting stated with Reaktor Blocks this is a great guide:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/q ... uickstart/

Also the Reaktor Blocks manual is handy, you can find that here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... 072220.pdf

Here's another video showing how to build a simple synth using the Toybox Free Pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4q_vGLqBjQ&t

Here's a cheatsheet demonstrating how to build a wavetable synth with the Toybox Nano Pack.

You can download the Rack here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... how/13921/

The oscillators in this pack are awesome!

Especially the additive ones, so many possibilities.

Is any of this polyphonic?

Also, any MPE blocks?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:06 pm Is any of this polyphonic?
Yes, there are some polyphonic oscillators, and a few utilities, for example the 'Polyphonic MIDI Input' block, for creating polyphonic patches.
Last edited by Edrec on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edrec wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:49 pm
Yes, there are some polyphonic oscillators, and a few utilities, for example the 'Polyphonic MIDI Input' block, for creating polyphonic patches.
Thanks. So if you patch a polyphonic oscillator into a filter, is that polyphonic too?

Also, any MPE blocks?
Curious about this too. Esp. MPE

killmaster wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:34 am ]Curious about this too. Esp. MPE
There's an monophonic MPE block in the Toybox Free Pack
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:13 pm Is any of this polyphonic?
The outputs of the polyphonic blocks in the Nano Pack are monophonic, they have a built polyphonic envelope and the voices are mixed down before they leave the block. There are blocks with full polyphonic connections in the Toybox Synth Pack, if you want to keep connections polyphonic between the blocks.

Another way you can get polyphony in the Nano Pack is using the polyphonic MIDI in block, with this you can patch up separate a chain for each voice.

Here's cheatsheet showing a simple polyphonic rack using a Nano Pack polyphonic oscillator block, I'll post a link to download the rack later:

Last edited by David@TOYBOX on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David@TOYBOX wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:52 am
killmaster wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:34 am ]Curious about this too. Esp. MPE
There's a monophonic MPE block in the Toybox Free Pack
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:13 pm Is any of this polyphonic?
The outputs of the polyphonic blocks in the Nano Pack are monophonic, the blocks have a built polyphonic envelope and the voices are mixed down before they leave the block. There are blocks with full polyphonic connections in the Toybox Synth Pack, if you want to keep the connections between the blocks polyphonic.

Another way you can get polyphony in the Nano Pack is using the polyphonic MIDI in block, with this you can patch up separate a chain for each voice.

Here's cheatsheet showing a simple polyphonic rack using a Nano Pack polyphonic oscillator block, I'll post a link to download the rack later:

Return to “Instruments”