The future of Geist 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
DrGonzo
KVRAF
2739 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:55 pm

vertibration wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 am
y'all know Angus Hewlett went to Image Line right? He is now their Chief Technology Officer.

Free updates for life, and Angus? Count me in
Wow. Didn't know that. When did that happen?

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
CELLOS OF DARKNESS - Cinematic Cellos for Omnisphere
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

vertibration
KVRian
590 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:52 am

Earlier this year I think, check Angus Linkedin.

v1o
KVRAF
3114 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 am

telecharge wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 pm
You probably know better than anyone else speculating here, but why wouldn't Geist2 be a good fit for inMusic's AIR Music Technology brand? Considering Drum Synth 500 and Transfuser 2, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
Geist is inspired by the Akai MPC. They already have their own MPC software.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

FapFilter
KVRian
933 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm

Any experiences if and how well Geist2 is running on M1 systems?

(asking for a “friend“ who's thinking of jumping ship from Windows to the dark side ;) )
There's no Logic to Windows

vertibration
KVRian
590 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:54 pm

FapFilter wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm
Any experiences if and how well Geist2 is running on M1 systems?

(asking for a “friend“ who's thinking of jumping ship from Windows to the dark side ;) )
fine on Rosetta, but the installers are very buggy. One day the installer may work, the next time it may give an error because it cant locate a specific location. Best to move on from Geist 2.

FapFilter
KVRian
933 posts since 29 Oct, 2015 from Jupiter 8

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:59 pm

i would, but haven't found a good substitute that would come even close to it's greatness, except for maybe Maschine, but NI is super slow in regards to updates to new things and i honestly don't even want to learn a new complex drum machine, as Geist2 is almost perfect in most regards anyway
There's no Logic to Windows

yellowmix
KVRAF
1866 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:41 pm

BenfordLaw wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm
Dark grey text on dark grey buttons, I don't have a monochrome monitor.
Try some other themes in Tools > Preferences > UI Style. There's one that's modeled after Bitwig, another after Tremor, and more. If you really want your own color scheme, create your own. On Windows go to \Program Files (x86)\FXpansion\Geist2\Resources\Styles, copy one of the folders and rename it, and edit away. You can change colors, fonts, sizes, etc.. If there are solid colors they can be turned into gradients. It's totally vector-based so no skeuomorphic knobs or anything, but it's super-flexible.

colabean
KVRist
110 posts since 17 Feb, 2011 from Canada

Post Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:24 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 am
Spectrasonics Geist RMX 3!
🔥🔥🔥

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9278 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:29 am

colabean wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:24 am
Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 am
Spectrasonics Geist RMX 3!
🔥🔥🔥
Obviously I was joking but it seems like it would be a great synergy. Folks have been waiting for a decade+ or something for an RMX update, which isn't what Spectrasonics is focusing on. If you could combine the RMX sounds, with something like Geist (which let's be honest, is probably for sale by whatever's left of Roli), it could be a good opportunity for Spectrasonics to get back into drums with a mature product.

Won't happen. But damn, would be nice if it did.

Synthack
KVRian
598 posts since 4 Dec, 2021 from Canada

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:40 pm

I hope Fxpansion can save Geist2 somehow. I'd love to see U-he buy it or something.

It's such a good idea.. it would be a pity if it dies along with Fxpansion.
Do you have them all yet?

NikkiA
KVRist
116 posts since 24 Jul, 2006

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm

it would be a pity if it dies along with Fxpansion.
It's gone, I figure it's been gone since they pulled it from sale from all the 3rd party vendors, which was about august when I noticed it dropped off PB, fxpansion still have a 'buy now' button, but checkout tells you that none of them are available anymore.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9278 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:51 pm

NikkiA wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm
It's gone, I figure it's been gone since they pulled it from sale from all the 3rd party vendors, which was about august when I noticed it dropped off PB, fxpansion still have a 'buy now' button, but checkout tells you that none of them are available anymore.
Such a bummer. Geist was a truly terrific product. If XLN Audio bought the remnants of it and combined Geist's Pattern/Sequencing/Mixing/FX features with XO's sample search features, they'd have a killer XO 2! Won't happen of course. But they could at least have the decency to steal the idea and do something similar on their own! :lol:

Just like my other bright of idea of Sepctrasonics taking it over for an RMX update. Won't happen, but damn, it's too good for it to just die.

Synthack
KVRian

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:58 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:51 pm
NikkiA wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm
Such a bummer. Geist was a truly terrific product. If XLN Audio bought the remnants of it and combined Geist's Pattern/Sequencing/Mixing/FX features with XO's sample search features, they'd have a killer XO 2! Won't happen of course. But they could at least have the decency to steal the idea and do something similar on their own! :lol:

Just like my other bright of idea of Sepctrasonics taking it over for an RMX update. Won't happen, but damn, it's too good for it to just die.
XLN Audio should buy Geist! I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I imagine the development would be a nightmare for them though.

If it was me, i'd probably start at Geist 1 and just use that design because it worked really well.

Probably would be easier to just start there from a development standpoint rather than tackle the mess that is Geist2.

zvenx
KVRAF
10562 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm

I found Geist very cumbersome to use, whereas XO and RMX are easy to use...not sure I would want that marriage, unless they were going to bring out an entirely new product.

rsp
sound sculptist

Synthack
KVRian

Post Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:09 pm

zvenx wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:02 pm
I found Geist very cumbersome to use, whereas XO and RMX are easy to use...not sure I would want that marriage, unless they were going to bring out an entirely new product.

rsp
That's why different products exist. Different people different workflows :)

Return to “Instruments”