Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Do you think Diva can emulate much of what this plug in can do?

ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm Do you think Diva can emulate much of what this plug in can do?
Much? Yes. I mean Diva can be setup to act as a Jupiter. You'd have to adjust the envelopes and things like filter settings because they won't at all correspond to the J-8, but yeah, I'm sure you could get very much in the ballpark except for:

1. No Dual/Split options in a single Diva instance - you'd need to run multiple and set these up in your DAW
2. Chorus will sound different - delay too, but the Chorus is more unique IMO

I find J-8 very fast to work with. Just has a lot of sweet spots.

I am unfamiliar with the Jupiter 8 technically, what are its split/dual options?

1. KEY MODES
ROLAND ICON SERIES: THE JUPITER-8 SYNTHESIZER

The Jupiter-8 can be used in three different Key Modes; Whole, Dual and Split. Whole mode assigns a single patch sound across all eight voices, over the entirety of the whole keyboard. Dual mode offers a layered sound, with two patches sounding with each key press. In dual mode, the keyboard moves into 4-voice polyphony with two voices playing separate patches for each note. A slider controls the balance between these patches, in both split and dual modes. Split mode was a revolutionary feature that set the Jupiter-8 apart from other synthesizers of the time. Split mode allowed the user to assign one patch sound to one side of the keyboard and another patch sound to the other half of the keyboard. On the newer Jupiter-8’s, the split point could be moved to any desired location on the keyboard and could be saved in the patch preset memory.

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/roland-ico ... nthesizer/
sound sculptist

Just keep in mind...in Tal J-8 the voice count doesn't get cut in half when you go into Dual/Split mode. So you get the 8 voices of polyphony multiplied across 2 layers (16 voices of polyphony total) if you had 8 selected. Whereas in the original hardware, 8 was the max, so Split/Dual modes cut you down to 4 voices of polyphony.

ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:33 pm I am unfamiliar with the Jupiter 8 technically, what are its split/dual options?
maybe helpful:

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/blog/roland-jp-8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBCvpO ... ceSoftware

ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm Do you think Diva can emulate much of what this plug in can do?
Mostly yes. However, there is one area in which they are quite different: Diva's filter resonance is less convincingly like the jupiter and the juno to my ears. It's a bit tighter, less liquid sounding and doesn't seem to go quite far enough (like maybe only 90% of the way, but that last 10% is important). Perhaps the jupe8 u-he modelled was similar. It's still a very good sounding plugin.

thanks for the clarification

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:52 pm Just keep in mind...in Tal J-8 the voice count doesn't get cut in half when you go into Dual/Split mode. So you get the 8 voices of polyphony multiplied across 2 layers (16 voices of polyphony total) if you had 8 selected. Whereas in the original hardware, 8 was the max, so Split/Dual modes cut you down to 4 voices of polyphony.
How are those voices allocated 4+4?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Yes.

ghostwhistler wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:33 pm I am unfamiliar with the Jupiter 8 technically, what are its split/dual options?
The power is in the dual mode imo. That's how you get the massive wide synths. :) Check my audio demos I posted a few pages back.

EvilDragon wrote:
It's not a bug. It's entirely legit to either do vel>cutoff, or vel>filter env amount multiplier. This is not the first case of that being done ever in a plugin (will investigate because I vaguely remember this being done in some other synths too).
OK, I agree, not a bug, but by design. I still feel that it would be advantageous to add in a switch that could select a number of velocity to filter behaviors. That’d keep all previous presets intact while offering some extra programming capabilities.
On a number of Macs

Under certain settings ,Diva can’t do the jup 8 , since cross mod on diva is reversed , combined with osc sync .
The original implementation on the jup8 is pretty useless , a synced master that is crossmodulated by the oscillator that is synced to it .
When both enabled things become unusable pretty fast .
That’s the reason why urs switched the cross mod , so the synced slaveosc can be x-modded
In this config. Xmod + sync is glorious
Jupiter 6 let’s the user decide which osc is x-modded( so sync slave can be x-modded by sync master ), just like prophet 5 etc...
Clavia also made thid stupid jup 8 implementation on their nord leads 2 ( xmod is fm ) but also sync master.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Would you say this is worth purchasing given I already own Diva?

Yes.

Return to “Instruments”